Golf for the adult beginner?

What's Hot

Comments

• TM M2 for £20, Bargain and 7 iron is prefect first club. 

Tic toc swings is IMO a great start, and when sussed you'll be stunned how far they hit for such little effort.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    TM M2 for £20, Bargain and 7 iron is prefect first club. 
    they had a plastic dustbin full of just ex-demo 7 irons all priced the same, presumably to flog to people who don't know if they'll ever do it more than once! lol 
    Red ones are better. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    This is going to be interesting.....please post vids of range time ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Not even a tiny chance 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    spark240 said:
    Not even a tiny chance 
    Ill show you mine if you show me yours....-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Best advice I can give is to keep your head still/eye on the ball, and don't try to swing too hard/fast . Nice and smooth. 
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    edited August 2019
    A golfing anecdote similar to your predicament.

About 15 yrs ago I when to a work golf day on a serious course, having only played a few rounds of pitch / putting and the driving range. I turned up with a raggedy set of clubs and  a women bag. Hit the ball, did ok for a noob. 

I got laughed at by colleuges with serious clubs who are serious golfers about my crap kit. 
     A couple of them played some guitar. I asked if they want to come down jam with my band with my 1979 Les Paul Custom and Deluxe Reverb Silverdale.  At which point they shut up. 
     The point of this story is in our own game we have all the gear and we should welcome those who wish to try and learn.

-------

15 yrs later I play golf once a year and have a laugh, but guitars have more fucking cool, and those  fat bald men in their golfing gear in their 3 series bmw want to be musicians as it's an around better gig.

• Best advice I can give is to keep your head still/eye on the ball, and don't try to swing too hard/fast . Nice and smooth. 
    There are a few different teaching RE eye on the ball. I am in the left eye on ball when driving camp, right eye on ball with irons but I am aiming to hit the ground under my left eye. 
    Best advice I can give is to keep your head still/eye on the ball, and don't try to swing too hard/fast . Nice and smooth. 
    There are a few different teaching RE eye on the ball. I am in the left eye on ball when driving camp, right eye on ball with irons but I am aiming to hit the ground under my left eye. 

Just really meant try not to lift your head as you are about to strike the ball.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    If you look at a cricketer who hits a 'six', you can see that he really got behind the ball.  It is slightly more difficult to get behind the ball in a golf swing but if/when you do, the ball flies a long way.  So transfer most of your weight to your back foot on the backswing and allow your body to follow the clubhead which ends up in the classic facing the target area with all your weight on your front foot.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

A great tip actually is to put the grips of your clubs into a bucket of hot soapy water. Feel really soft and grippy after.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    edited August 2019
    My stepdad taught me to play and I got quite good and really enjoyed it. Although I haven’t played for a few years, here are a couple tips for you to at least hit the ball well:
    1. Never take your eye off the ball
    2. Let the club do the work
    A lot of people try to hit the ball with a lot of power, but by doing that you're likely going to tense up and miss, or at the very least hit it badly. And you don't want to do that. Especially in front of new friends you're trying to impress.

First, stand with your legs shoulder width apart. Assuming you're right-handed, you would typically grip the shaft with your right hand lower down which is interlinked with your left hand higher up. The interlinking is done with your pinky finger on your right hand and the forefinger of your left. The palm of your right hand should sit on your left thumb firmly but not too firmly – remember that too much tension will most likely cause you to miss hit the ball. If it feels uncomfortable or unnatural, scrap the interlinking part.

From there, the shaft should be like an extension of your left arm. Line the head of the club against the ball. Also, the line that is parallel with your toes is the direction the ball will travel if you hit it sweetly. Staying relaxed, bring the club over your shoulders, back through to the ball, and following through to the opposite shoulder, just like a pendulum. It's really important you keep your eye on the ball and that you stay relaxed. As I said, it's the club that's doing the work, not you. There's very little effort on your part. Your aim is simply to deliver the block of metal with enough velocity to connect with the ball and shift it – you'll be surprised how little effort is required.

If you follow these simple steps, you'll hit the ball more than you'll miss it. A good way of practicing your swing is by lining it up against the tee, i.e. without a ball, and carrying out the above. If your club clips the tee, then that should give you a good indication as to whether your swing is decent or not.

Good luck. There's something incredibly satisfying by hitting a little white ball and watching it fly! 
    My local public course has a 4 week beginners group course thing starting in September for £25 - I shall do that
    Red ones are better. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    TimmyO said:
    My local public course has a 4 week beginners group course thing starting in September for £25 - I shall do that
    TimmyO said:
    Sounds ideal. 

Good luck not getting the bug
    TimmyO said:
    Great !....drinking is far more interesting anyhow..;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    edited August 2019
    TimmyO said:
    Yes definitely, I did a "get into golf" 4 lesson thing and it gave all the basics which I revert to all the time

Its a fun game incorporating a good social walk and deserved drink after......enjoy
    I went and hit a golf ball properly for the first time today.

Watched a couple of Youtube videos the other day (so so helpful /sarcasm - there are either 6 key basic things to the golf swing. Or 2. Or 11. Or just these 7 for the perfect beginner swing. Or only 1 thing to remember. ....) 

Went to the range today and bought a big bucket o balls and set about them with my 7 iron.

I'd forgotten the 'how to grip a golf club' (or mixed up what I remembered from different contradictory videos) instructions s I don't think I held it the same twice in 120 shots lol 

Ditto I don't know how far from the ball to stand, so that was all random too. 

About 50-60% of shots ended up going straight or drawing left, pitching c. 100m and running on to 120m (most) -150m (some)

about 10 shots total were fucking down the middle lasers - boom :-) 

the rest were either scuffs, hit the side of the bay, or otherwise a bit crap 

Also: my left hand and forearm were KILLING me after about 20 shots - and still are 
    Red ones are better. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    TimmyO said:
    I went and hit a golf ball properly for the first time today.

Watched a couple of Youtube videos the other day (so so helpful /sarcasm - there are either 6 key basic things to the golf swing. Or 2. Or 11. Or just these 7 for the perfect beginner swing. Or only 1 thing to remember. ....) 

Went to the range today and bought a big bucket o balls and set about them with my 7 iron.

I'd forgotten the 'how to grip a golf club' (or mixed up what I remembered from different contradictory videos) instructions s I don't think I held it the same twice in 120 shots lol 

Ditto I don't know how far from the ball to stand, so that was all random too. 

About 50-60% of shots ended up going straight or drawing left, pitching c. 100m and running on to 120m (most) -150m (some)

about 10 shots total were fucking down the middle lasers - boom :-) 

the rest were either scuffs, hit the side of the bay, or otherwise a bit crap 

Also: my left hand and forearm were KILLING me after about 20 shots - and still are 
    You're gripping the club too tight. Probably a byproduct of not gripping it correctly (because you couldn't remember what the various videos said) and overcompensating for it. 

when you say "drawing left" if this was more of a gentle draw than a snap hook, this is about the most desirable shot to have (if you ask most people). So not a bad thing (unless it was a snap hook lol). 

Got to start somewhere though. the on course lesson things you've booked will be a good place to start for some guidance. 

If I get a free weekend once I'm done with this stupid fucking event on Sunday, I'd be happy to head to the range with you (can meet halfway between you and me maybe?) and/or head out for a few holes. 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    A small bucket of golf balls (40) is more than enough for one session.  Grip the club much the same as if you were holding a live bird in your hand.  No tighter than that.  Then give the ball a good whack...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• the first thing to decide is do you think you could enjoy it?

if yes then find your best route for time and budget, don't get me wrong lessons are helpful and will get you there quicker and you will learn all the little tweaks but if you don't have time or money for that you will get somewhere with a few choice youtube vids(don't over do the vids though else your brain will melt)... The self taught approach also has it's rewards, it will more likely take longer but when you start cracking them more good than bad you'll be like 'did that no lessons' :)

also you can have specific area lessons, you might find you are a natural with irons but struggling with 1w, then just book a help with driving lesson.. my mate had a 1hr bunker shots lesson.