Received bad feedback on eBay for refusing PayPal on collection only :(

What's Hot

Comments

• I remember years.and years ago selling a strat for 500 quid.

Met the guy ten miles from my house and he insisted on paying PayPal through ebay. 

I got a message a week later saying the trem arm tip wasn't original he wanted to bring the guitar back, under eBay rules. 

I told him where to go and fortunately he did.

I'm sure nowadays I would have just been screwed over. Be careful out there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    I just bought a plastic toilet cistern lever/arm off ebay for £2.15 and the seller is bugging me to give positive feedback!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

This eBay PayPal coverage of 6 months or whatever it is now completely shafts sellers 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    I don't think he's a scammer I just think he's a very very cynical/sceptical buyer. I only pay via Paypal and if I can't pay via PayPal I won't bid on it. I thought eBay rules were PayPal only (or certainly used to be) so maybe he's just living in the past a little.
    I certainly wouldn't leave feedback on it though :)

Glad you got it sorted
    It's not safe for the seller to take Paypal on a collection.

Paypal will only accept a tracked postal/courier service as proof that the item has been delivered.

If you take Paypal on a listing where someone collects it, or it's half a mile down the road so you deliver it yourself, you are totally unprotected.  The buyer can claim that he never received the item, and Paypal will refund him as you can't produce a tracking number.  There will be nothing you can do about it. You can't even leave negative feedback anymore as Ebay stopped sellers being able to leave negative feedback for buyers.  There is absolutely no recourse for the seller.

The only safe way for a seller to do a collection only auction on Ebay is to insist on cash on collection, or bank transfer.

Unfortunately, you cannot list an item on Ebay without offering Paypal.  This does mean that sometimes you are forced to refund Paypal payments (unless they are willing to pay by Paypal gift).  It's the only way to protect yourself if you want to use Ebay.

This is why I only use Ebay for selling as a last resort, when all else has failed.  I would never use it to sell anything valuable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    57Deluxe said:
    I just bought a plastic toilet cistern lever/arm off ebay for £2.15 and the seller is bugging me to give positive feedback!
    What a crap situation.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Their systems no flag keywords like ‘no paypal’ and removes your listing. 

I only use eBay as a last resort and collection only cash or bank transfer as payment 
  • Their systems no flag keywords like ‘no paypal’ and removes your listing. 

I only use eBay as a last resort and collection only cash or bank transfer as payment 
    never had any problem listing in the description cash and collect only.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Their systems no flag keywords like ‘no paypal’ and removes your listing. 

never had any problem listing in the description cash and collect only.

Same - created two listings at the weekend saying "cash only, will not accept paypal". One sold, I emailed the guy immediately to say don't pay via paypal and he was completely cool about it, will come over at the weekend. Looks like I stumbled upon someone reasonable!

The other listing is still live.

Maybe eBay don't give a fck on £1-fee sales though.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haych said:
    Sassafras said:
    Hydra19 said:
    I think it's also a matter of paying by paypal being more normal these days. Back in the day, collection was understood to be cash on collection but in the last few times I wanted to buy a guitar I was told no cash on collection, the excuse was that they don't feel comfortable having that much money on them. The guitar is still for sale, 6 months later, I'd still prefer it but I ended up getting something else. I guess the snowflake generation would prefer paypal to be able to change their mind a week after they bought the guitar if they don't bond with it. 
    I've never understood this.
    I always feel a lot more comfortable with a lot of money on me.
    A little off topic but I recently had a tradesman do a couple of jobs on the house, he was a typical do-it-for-cash kinda guy but would take other payments at request (and higher price).  

I got talking to him and he says he has so much cash in his house he doesn't know what to do with it, he says it's nice to count it once in a while but he can't spend it - nobody wants cash anymore.  He said he could fritter it away on rubbish but to buy anything meaningful with cash is next to impossible.  He was apparently laughed out of the showroom when he tried to buy a new van with cash!  

Mind you, even I would be a bit suspicious of a duffel bag full of used twenties!
    He sounds a bit mental , he could pay it into the bank or still use it to buy reasonably expensive objects. To say he has so much cash in the house he does not know what to do with it makes him sound like a twat , wish I had that problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    hollywoodrox said:

He sounds a bit mental , he could pay it into the bank or still use it to buy reasonably expensive objects. To say he has so much cash in the house he does not know what to do with it makes him sound like a twat , wish I had that problem.
    He can’t pay it into a bank without potentially alerting the big bad government about his illegally VAT-free and tax free income.

If the amounts are more than a few grand within a certain time period he would be flagged by the bank for possible money-laundering too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I would personally not accept PayPal for collection only but have in the past for some old guy who bought a camera for a few hundred. I only post everything now though It’s relatively simple UPS collect it at my specified time and  if I don’t have a box I can buy a carton off ebay. Just add the cost to the price. You usually get the best price too as you can sell to anyone from Scotland to Devon . I have seen so many things I would love to buy and it’s collection only  but they are too far away . I have no car and can’t travel. If you have a car you’re laughing for posting as you can go to the nearest decent town and get guitar /television /cycle cartons for nothing that the shops would throw out . No guitar shops here although I have had s9me good boxes for packing from other stores left out on bin day .

i can think why some people would like to pay PayPal. Say you see something that you don’t normally see a rare neon yellow ibanez hardtail etc but you don’t have cash at that very time but will the next week or two. You can use PayPal credit and have 2 or 3 months to pay it off. Or even regular PayPal with your Visa card and pay it off next month when you have the dosh .

ebay is pretty good as long as you keep your wits about you and are prepared to get a box to ship.  I’ve seen things sell for about £30 that should have been £100 as they are collection only and the only person able orvwilling to collect has won with a low bid 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11497
    tFB Trader
    Haych said:
    Sassafras said:
    Hydra19 said:
    I think it's also a matter of paying by paypal being more normal these days. Back in the day, collection was understood to be cash on collection but in the last few times I wanted to buy a guitar I was told no cash on collection, the excuse was that they don't feel comfortable having that much money on them. The guitar is still for sale, 6 months later, I'd still prefer it but I ended up getting something else. I guess the snowflake generation would prefer paypal to be able to change their mind a week after they bought the guitar if they don't bond with it. 
    I've never understood this.
    I always feel a lot more comfortable with a lot of money on me.
    A little off topic but I recently had a tradesman do a couple of jobs on the house, he was a typical do-it-for-cash kinda guy but would take other payments at request (and higher price).  

I got talking to him and he says he has so much cash in his house he doesn't know what to do with it, he says it's nice to count it once in a while but he can't spend it - nobody wants cash anymore.  He said he could fritter it away on rubbish but to buy anything meaningful with cash is next to impossible.  He was apparently laughed out of the showroom when he tried to buy a new van with cash!  

Mind you, even I would be a bit suspicious of a duffel bag full of used twenties!
    It actually sounds like his problem is that he hasn't declared it via his taxes etc, so he can't bank it or be found out and spending that much on large items can look suspicious.
    I hate that the bank charges 2%-3% for taking you cash over the counter when you pay it in to a business account so what little I get I try to spend on everything from post charges when mailing stuff to stuff for the business that you need to get like bin bags and tea and coffee etc.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    ICBM said:
    hollywoodrox said:

He can’t pay it into a bank without potentially alerting the big bad government about his illegally VAT-free and tax free income.

If the amounts are more than a few grand within a certain time period he would be flagged by the bank for possible money-laundering too.
    This.  I think a single transaction has a £10k limit before anti money laundering procedures are triggered and regular large cash payments in will also be a red flag even if they are under the £10k limit.

As for buying reasonably expensive objects, what would you buy?  Spending for the sake of spending is just daft unless you actually need the thing you're buying.  He admitted he doesn't declare all of his income but puts enough through the books to satisfy the tax man.

To be fair he wasn't bragging about money - the conversation started over how he got started a couple of years ago in the home improvements game and how it took off well beyond his expectations, he was a really nice guy to be honest and wasn't twatish at all.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    Haych said:

As for buying reasonably expensive objects, what would you buy?  Spending for the sake of spending is just daft unless you actually need the thing you're buying.
    You're asking that on this forum?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    prlgmnr said:
    Haych said:

As for buying reasonably expensive objects, what would you buy?  Spending for the sake of spending is just daft unless you actually need the thing you're buying.
    Touché

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    edited August 2019
    Wasn’t aware of the PayPal/ collection issue until reading these threads. I guess it’s two separate listings from now on- gumtree for collection with cash, eBay for delivery with PayPal.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Haych said:
    ICBM said:
    hollywoodrox said:

This.  I think a single transaction has a £10k limit before anti money laundering procedures are triggered and regular large cash payments in will also be a red flag even if they are under the £10k limit.

As for buying reasonably expensive objects, what would you buy?  Spending for the sake of spending is just daft unless you actually need the thing you're buying.  He admitted he doesn't declare all of his income but puts enough through the books to satisfy the tax man.

To be fair he wasn't bragging about money - the conversation started over how he got started a couple of years ago in the home improvements game and how it took off well beyond his expectations, he was a really nice guy to be honest and wasn't twatish at all.
    So you are discussing someone who is evading tax - its illegal, like go to prison against the law - report the twat this why the rest of us pay so much tax - he's stealing FFS !!
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnr said:
    Haych said:

I assumed he was a handy man , if he’s doing big jobs and has thousands around the house he should pay the bank fees and taxes if he’s that successful . If he can’t spend what he has he might as well use the bank then he can pay for purchases using his account and pay his taxes and not have to spend the rest of his life looking over his shoulder .
    i know plenty of business’s where I live that are barely making a living with the high rent/rates cost  and they still have to pay and do not have thousands hanging round the house
  • Nikc said:
    Haych said:
    ICBM said:
    hollywoodrox said:

So you are discussing someone who is evading tax - its illegal, like go to prison against the law - report the twat this why the rest of us pay so much tax - he's stealing FFS !!
    The tax man is the worst person to mess with , they have extensive powers more so than the police  and they can get you banged up solid. You’d stand more chance getting off with gbh or aggravated assault . They got lester piggot and ken Dodd 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82 said:
    Wasn’t aware of the PayPal/ collection issue until reading these threads. I guess it’s two separate listings from now on- gumtree for collection with cash, eBay for delivery with PayPal.  
    Gum tree is a good quick test of the water just in case someone local is interested but you get lots of odd sorts on there ,arranging to turn up at a certain time then being a no show  or making ridiculous low ball offers.  You can tell a lot by the way they communicate,some will definitely mess you around ,and Facebook market place is even worse. Some of the sellers are nuts on gumtree too. I phoned about an item and the person could barely string two words together coherently , not foreign , just   Urghh urgh what , err it’s er gone urgh. It was something interesting ,can’t remember what offhand . It’s a funny old world