Fender Lincoln Brewster Strat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Charles Darwin played a Gibson apparently.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9591
    "This next one's called Stairway To Heaven, and it goes something like this..."

https://i.imgur.com/HEwMC31.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Here we go.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22730
    I was reading this thread in work, thinking bloody hell, praise and worship...

But crikey, that's a nice Strat and I really like everything about the spec (apart from slight reservations about the push-pull pot).  Smart guy, he's chosen every detail very carefully. 

I've actually got the parts lying around my house to put together something very similar - Aztec Gold body, '50s style neck with big frets, DiMarzio Area 58 and 61 pickups... it would be interesting to see a wiring diagram.

Great playing in that Fender video, too.... I had to give up on the live clip though.
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 237
    I don't really get the whole 'worship" music scene thing.
    It really a simple concept, how many poems can you recite vs how many song lyrics do you know?  

Words set to music are easier to remember, so originally hymns helped the congregation to learn and retain the Christian message at a time when many of them were uneducated and illiterate. 

So the modern worship scene is an evolution in terms of musical style and instrumentation of the long tradition of church music.
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    The longest book in the Bible is a collection of songs.  It's not a new thing.  There's no reason that the style of the music has to be stuck in the past - although I do get a bit fed up with a lot of churches trying to copy the same sound.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    The Christian music industry is worth millions, or am I being cynical?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    Sassafras said:
    Yep.

Seems pretty weird to most of us over here but P&W is massive in the US.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5730
    I was recently introduced to some modern worship/Christian music and it all left me completely flat. It’s a huuuuuuuge industry and seems to be full of people that produce album after album of nothing but modern hymns. 

Somewhere deep I guess I have an inherent mistrust about the motives of any musician who’s driven to make music but only about one area of their life. 

I find the occasional songs about faith by rounded musicians far more moving and honest.  Best example off the top of my head would be Van Morrison 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Neil said:
    Sassafras said:
    Yep.

It’s big business, I work for a video events company and it hit us how big the P&W scene is when we were looking to buy new vision mixer/switchers. These things are almost infinitely configurable to your spec but most manufacturers over them pre configured for the most commonly requested uses and they seem to all offer TV Studio, Live Music Touring, Praise & Worship !
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    DrBob said:
    Neil said:
    Sassafras said:
    Yep.

It’s big business, I work for a video events company and it hit us how big the P&W scene is when we were looking to buy new vision mixer/switchers. These things are almost infinitely configurable to your spec but most manufacturers over them pre configured for the most commonly requested uses and they seem to all offer TV Studio, Live Music Touring, Praise & Worship !
    My band's Peavey PA had been made for the P&W market with inputs for pulpit and things like that ( I haven't seen it for a while but the labels were effectively bits of a church and this was how it came from the manufacturer, not added later). Years ago I knew the guitarist in one of the UK's top Christian bands and whilst that was relatively small stuff here ( although a top 40 single) they had minor rock star status in parts of Europe.   

I think it's hard to get a perspective on what success or financial success in music looks like, anything that doesn't constantly come across our horizon we don't think of as successful. There are asian artists who can pack out the NEC, I remember a documentary on Black Lace who clearly made a comfortable living jigging around in night clubs once a week. There are about 72 million regular church goers in the USA ( plus many more less regular) and that's a lot of churches and gear,etc.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited August 2019
    Even in the UK, it's going to be a large part of the market for musical equipment.  Most towns will have several churches meeting on a Sunday morning, and they will almost all have live music in some form or other - be that a traditional organ, or a more modern style, or a mix of both.  Even the ones with traditional organs are likely to have a PA for speech reinforcement.  Where I live, I'd say there are more churches than there are live music venues.

dazzajl said:
    I was recently introduced to some modern worship/Christian music and it all left me completely flat. It’s a huuuuuuuge industry and seems to be full of people that produce album after album of nothing but modern hymns. 

Somewhere deep I guess I have an inherent mistrust about the motives of any musician who’s driven to make music but only about one area of their life. 

I find the occasional songs about faith by rounded musicians far more moving and honest.  Best example off the top of my head would be Van Morrison 
    There is a difference between the kind of songs that work for a congregation in church - which generally have to be relatively singable - and what I like to listen to outside of church.

If you are into prog then have a listen to Neal Morse.  An hour and three quarter concept album based on The Pilgrim's Progress:

MIke Portnoy (ex Dream Theater on drums).  Portnoy isn't a Christian as far as I know, but he's friends with Morse.

Went to see them when they were in London in March.  MIxture of Christians and prog fans who just like the music.

Edit:  the sound quality isn't great on that Youtube link.  The one that was up before got taken down.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Sassafras said:
    There was a film about it called Brewster’s Millions....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    "past the pub that saps your body and the Church who'll snatch your money"

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Sassafras said:
    The non Christian music industry is worth billions.
    DrBob said:
    Yep.

Imagine turning up at Wembley stadium to see Muse and for all the huge lighting rig and PA, there was no big screen, no background graphics and they look like ants in the distance. Firstly, Welcome to the 60's and second, times and expectations have changed. Those "production values" (horrible term in a church context) have bcome the norm for all live events, concerts, conferences etc.

So if you can see a clear TV type image of a speaker at a party conference, then why not something similar at a church? Mnay churches use Video screens/ projectors to display the words for congregational singing, adding live video is the next logical step.