Holes for the neck screws?

What's Hot
I've just ordered a Strat Callaham bridge assembly and have been looking through their website at setups and modification tips.

One of the quick and easy mods he recommends is to open up the screw holes on the body of the neck joint so that they don't bite the screws. He says that by opening up these holes you get a better neck to body connection.

Anyone done this or have any concerns about doing it? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Ideally the holes should be exactly the same diameter as the outside of the screw threads, so the screws pass through without any friction.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    ICBM said:
    Ideally the holes should be exactly the same diameter as the outside of the screw threads, so the screws pass through without any friction.
    That's what he says. I'll drill them out with the correct sized drill bit when I install the bridge / tremolo unit later.   
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Fuengi said:
    ICBM said:
    That's what he says. I'll drill them out with the correct sized drill bit when I install the bridge / tremolo unit later.   
    Go steady when you drill them larger, if the drill bit grabs, it can split the wood along the grain to the open end of the neck socket, ask me how I know......seriously ruins your day!...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    ICBM said:
    That's what I have always done. For one thing it is the logical way to get a tighter fit between body and neck, but it also gives a bit more leeway for adjusting neck position a tad.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7027
    tFB Trader
    I find a 4.5mm bit ideal for Fender screws.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Some Fender screws are not threaded along the whole length so it makes no difference for them, I must admit that it’s never been a problem in 40 odd years of guitar tinkering