Gibson owners- Want better tone?

What's Hot
Spotted in an ad on facebook:

"It has had a professional neck repair which has made the guitar sound better than before which is extremely common with Gibson necks"

I'm off to break the necks on mine and get them fixed ....
6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Either that or they mean it sounds better now than when it was broken ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4778
    Why bother just sell it and buy a Harley Benton and some Mojo PAFs.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Either that or they mean it sounds better now than when it was broken ;)
    possibly!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    I’ve come across this claim before and I don’t think it’s impossible. The tone of a guitar is very influenced by the resonance of the neck, and if you change the resonance you will change the tone - it’s especially likely if the break is also splinted. Even without, the neck will almost certainly be stronger since by definition it broke at the weakest point, and it will probably be slightly stiffer even if it was just glued with no splints.

Of course it’s equally likely it could sound worse, so I certainly wouldn’t want to break one on purpose to find out :) - and I’ve never broken one of my own guitars so I’ve never had a ‘before’ reference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Yeah, must be the neck repair, can't be the fact that it's had new strings put on it  ;)
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Boromedic said:
    Why bother just sell it and buy a Harley Benton and some Mojo PAFs.
    Exactly what I plan to do. Perhaps I should break the necks on mine before selling to improve their value?
    Sounds like a great idea, like Escape To Victory for guitars. If you break the neck on a Harley Benton and then glue it, could that improve the tone even more I wonder???

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Boromedic said:

If you break the neck on a Harley Benton and then glue it, could that improve the tone even more I wonder???
    I'm pretty sure they have glued scarf-jointed headstocks anyway.

Maybe that's why they sound better than Gibsons ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    @mattacjones i saw that too - made me chuckle.

Price was ok at £375 though. 
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Perhaps it was the type of glue they used to fix it ;)
    ICBM said:
    Boromedic said:

If you break the neck on a Harley Benton and then glue it, could that improve the tone even more I wonder???
    I'm pretty sure they have glued scarf-jointed headstocks anyway.

Maybe that's why they sound better than Gibsons ;).
    :) You might be onto something there!

• does it improve EACH time you break it?  can i just put it into a woodchipping machine and obtain the ultimate in tone ?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    does it improve EACH time you break it?  can i just put it into a woodchipping machine and obtain the ultimate in tone ?
    Or run it over with a digger 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Now, where can I buy a Firebird X with a broken neck?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Michael Schenker often used to say that his guitars played & sounded better after he had broken them and they had been repaired.

Maybe...just maybe it was because they had been worked on by a skilled professional guitar repairer/technician, and maybe you could have done that WITHOUT having to break the headstock off first

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    does it improve EACH time you break it?  can i just put it into a woodchipping machine and obtain the ultimate in tone ?
    So long as you put it back together with hide glue and there's no condom on the truss rod.... then yes, absolutely.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    Michael Schenker often used to say that his guitars played & sounded better after he had broken them and they had been repaired.

Maybe...just maybe it was because they had been worked on by a skilled professional guitar repairer/technician, and maybe you could have done that WITHOUT having to break the headstock off first
    The only way to infuse authentic Gibson mojo is direct into the neck, while fixing it.
    But the Injectorati will not allow this knowledge to be.... aaaargh.