What accent is this?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Derbyshire, I reckon, big County though, from Derby right up to it's border with West Yorkshire, so could still be a well spoken West Yorkshire accent.

That's not a "Broad" Northern Accent by any stretch of the imagination, it might sound like one to the Southern Softies though ;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7416
    It sounds more North West than North East to me (I grew up in North Yorkshire) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7416
    TimmyO said:
    It sounds more North West than North East to me (I grew up in North Yorkshire) 
    whichever it is, it sounds like it's softened (either consciously or over time) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Speaking as a southerner I can confirm she's speaking some sort of foreign language.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12313
    It’s a bit Bury-ish kind of generic though, a touch of 60s Salford kitchen sink about it. Like someone doing Rita Tushingham in a Taste of Honey
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    It's somewhere NW/Manchester area as has been said, but it's not a full-on local accent.

It's someone who's been brought up in a posh household where accents were seen as common, or been to uni (or acting school) and consciously or subconsciously moderated it.
  • Interesting some of us think Stockport/Cheshire - others north of Manchester. I think we're homing in on something in common with a lot of those accents. There's a point where the Manchester accent hits the surrounding county accent and ends up with some Lancashire or Cheshire in it - and that's what we're hearing. There is a similarity with some of the accents surrounding the north, south, and west (before becoming too close to Merseyside) of Manchester.

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Sounds a bit like Grimsby / Hull / Scunthorpe area to me
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's an educated Northern accent, if such a thing is possible.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    It's not a million miles away from a Stockport accent.
    Big chunk of my family from Stockport but I didn't recognise it as such. Not saying it's not but it didn't grab me as that.
    Paging @jonnyburgo to confirm? :)
    I really do have relatives from Stockport, seems a bit unlikely that @jonnyburgo knows them and can confirm our relationship . Although my sister in law Pam runs a dog grooming business there if that helps?   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Mark1960 said:
    Sounds a bit like Grimsby / Hull / Scunthorpe area to me
    Having lived or worked in all 3 towns/city I can confirm you’re wrong.  =)
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, Hull is very distinctive and unmistakable.
    It's one of my fave accents.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    So it’s not Rastafari, then?...

We’re settled on it being northern, that’s easy. I’m in agreement that it’s a Yorkshire accent; although given that I’m from the East Riding, and that my mum's side are from Hull, I'm confident it's not from there. NW Yorkshire/Manchester seems fairly sensible so far.

• It's a generic Greater Manchester/Cheshire accent, words like "precise" and the drawl in particular. Stockport as previously mentioned is a good shout.

Doncaster is "I ant done oat" (I haven't done anything) eez sen (himself) etc.

I say that speaking as someone who lives in Cheshire and spends a lot of time in Greater Manchester. (and gets called "posh' and "southern" *never fits in anywhere face*

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Glossop

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I'm hearing hints of Jodie Whittaker in some of the words. She's from Skelmanthorpe, West Yorkshire.