Any opinions on Harley Benton guitars? In particular the CST 24 and the Cabronita Tele.

What's Hot
MalCoxMalCox Frets: 9
I'm intrigued by these guitars, they seem to generally get good reviews and I'm tempted to try them. Any users out there? Pros and cons? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6848
    Never played one, but there are lots of advocates on here for them. 

Some even say they rival R8's... with a pickup change.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18635
    Ridiculously cheap to try, can be good or bad & may or may not have faults, but will not break anyone's bank & can be great fun. Your mileage may vary, but don't make all your decisions on opinions expressed here (even mine).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I must say the CST is a very nice looking guitar and Ive been tempted myself in the past.   I have a  HB-35 which is a remarkably good guitar for the price and if an indication of the quality I would have no hesitation.  They also have a very good 30 day returns policy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5722
    We are in such a golden age of cheap guitars and there are wonders out there to be had for very few ££s

I know a lot of folks are still having a good chuckle at the HB with new pickups vs CS thread but it's not all that laughable. No, I'm not saying they're even remotely the same guitar but I will say that you'll sound largely the same. So if you can find something for a few hundred pounds or less that you like and that plays well, you can make music every bit as wonderful as you can with a custom shop instrument.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10227
    tFB Trader
    I really love the look of the Cabronita one in blonde.
    I'm actually a fan of cheap guitars. To start with, at some of the gigs I've played in the past I've been distinctly nervous about subjecting one of my more pricey guitars to beer and stumbling punters. Secondly they are excellent modding platforms.
    I currently have a couple of Harley Bentons, a 'Jazz Bass' and a resonator. The JB is highly modified, with upgraded pickups, new pots, a nicer aftermarket scratchplate etc ... but the basic instrument was extraordinarily well made for the money.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I had a HB 335.

The wood itself was great, but I had to change literally everything else, including the frets and nut. The hardware was another level of cheap, below Epi and Vintage.
    Once I'd done that it was a great guitar, resonant and full of life.

Also had an SG style that was similar, although that just had a fret skim, pickups and electronics.

So, bit of a gamble and a project.