New Acoustic Recommendations

What's Hot

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum.

I have played guitar casually now for around 7 years, I self-taught myself on my Fender CD60 which I still use. 
I am looking to "retire" my CD60 to the attic now and fancy treating myself to a new guitar.
I looked at possibly moving to an electro acoustic, but I only play around the house in my own company so don't feel like I'd benefit from it's additional possibilities. 

I still very much consider myself a novice guitarist so I don't really know what to feel for in a new guitar. My CD60 has been a good servant to me, and I'm not looking to do much different, I just know I want to upgrade to a newer model with a higher quality sound.
Another Fender would be great, but I'm definitely open to other makes.

I want something that fits the below criteria;

- Price range between £200-£350 
- Typical full size 6 string dreadnought 
- Natural finish 
- Good quality sound for a range of finger picking style play, and the usual open chord nonsense I can't help myself but play. 

I know this probably leaves a wide range of potential guitars for me, but would love to hear some recommendations and feedback off everyone.

All the best, 
James. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    That price-range puts you into some nice acoustics. Fender, Eastman, Cort, Yamaha and Sigma all spring to mind. 

Sigma are linked to Martin, and do some really nice stuff.

In your position, i’d visit a couple of the larger retailers of the above brands and have a play and see what takes your fancy  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    If you're after a purely acoustic - £400 gets you a Faith Naked which is solid wood all round. That will be a significant improvement over a guitar where the top and sides are all laminate wood.
  • Gulliver said:
    If you're after a purely acoustic - £400 gets you a Faith Naked which is solid wood all round. That will be a significant improvement over a guitar where the top and sides are all laminate wood.
    This.  Faith are excellent guitars. I wouldn’t be without mine. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    chotu495 said:
    That price-range puts you into some nice acoustics. Fender, Eastman, Cort, Yamaha and Sigma all spring to mind. 

Sigma are linked to Martin, and do some really nice stuff.

In your position, i’d visit a couple of the larger retailers of the above brands and have a play and see what takes your fancy  :)
    Every Sigma I’ve played has been superb - well worth a look.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I think sigma and recording king acoustics are a demonstration of why construction is far more important than solid backs and wood types. I keep saying it but what you can get for less than 500 these days is incredible. Good times. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Agree with all the above. I’ve played some really  nice Faith guitars - though these were possible outside your budget new. I’d also throw Alvarez and Guild into the mix. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3682
    Another Faith fan here - I think they're great sounding and excellent value for money. But we can't choose for you; what I consider the "best" sound you may hate.

Do as @chotu495 suggests and go and play as many as you can. And don't  rush into it or you may end up buying the "wrong" one. Don't ask me how I know that....
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    edited August 2019
    Not played every type of Acoustics but have played mates Taylor's,Martin,Ibanez,tanglewood and takamine at loads of open mic nights.
    Just got myself a faith naked venus mahogany electro acoustic with cutaway. 2nd hand for £300.plays and sounds great   
    Just missed out on a sigma electro acoustic for 150 on Facebook marketplace. So there is bargains out there.take your time and happy hunting.  ;)
    Cheers Mark 
  • Thanks all, lots of praise for the Faith. Will definitely have to give one a try. 

Anybody know any good stores in NW England who stock them?

Regards,
    James. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3682
    Here’s a dealer “finder” https://www.faithguitars.com/dealers

Opposite end of country from me so can’t recommend any.