I'm a big fat bastard ...

What's Hot

Comments

• DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 334
    thank for all the additional comments y'all. it is not that I am ignorant regarding nutritional matters, indeed I have taken considerable time to inform myself regarding such things, discarding the fads and internet wisdom, and reading much of the excellent evidence based advice which is now available. I of course realise that all change is in my own hands no matter how mindful I may pretend to be about such a journey. However to commit to the temporary suffering necessary to move my personal journey forward a few steps requires an effort I consistently seem unable to make. But, now it has now reached the point where I find it difficult to play guitar anymore as my big belly gets in the way - time to take action :) ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Make a healthy lifestyle choice eat less and get active you will feel miles better than just dieting. Good luck
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited August 2019
    Definitely the shoulder...
    It's a bit of a bugger, if I'm honest.
    @digitalscream ;; I picked up a nerve problem and tendon problem last December -- a fairly trivial initiating event but I'm not expecting it to go away any time soon.  And I'd like to join the "it's a bit of a bugger" club if I may.

@DavidRees -- I've taken my BMI down from properly overweight to "normal".  I saw you said that "it's time to take action" -- good luck!  You absolutely won't regret it. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Weightwatchers.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    Huel.

• BoltersBolters Frets: 41
    Full support for the Keto advice. I've lost 30Kg ( about 4.7 stone ) since I started about 18 months ago.

It sounds cliche, but it's changed my life.

( I do miss bread though :( )

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3816
    Huel.

Tastes grim!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22714
    Lebarque said:
    Huel.

Tastes grim!
    Sounds best if you say it with a Welsh accent.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22714
    More large guitarists:

Dino Cazares
    Walter Trout (until health problems made him lose a massive amount of weight)
    Joanna Connor
    Pig Champion (RIP)
    Gary Lee Conner
    Buzz Osborne
    Chan Kinchla
    Robert Smith
    Kirk Windstein
    Matt Pike (pre recent weight loss)
    Just about anybody who's ever been in Molly Hatchet

You're in good company.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    Also, Rick Graham. Until he went to the gym and got bigger than Petrucci.

(which, in itself, is probably a lesson to us all)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you have a medial rotator cuff impingement/tear/etc you will struggle with all acoustics, even (depending how bad) OM and OOO.

The reason for this is those bands of muscle have very little stretch (they look a bit like narrow Astro Belts (the sweets) and hold your shoulder joint together. if they stretch/tear your deltoid, pectoral, rhomboid and trapezius have to hold the joint and as they are stretchy its common for nerve tissue to work it's way into the joint and when it pinches, it can easily hurt enough for your arsehole to do an impression of Dot Cotton's mouth. very unpleasant. most repairs involve debridement and then some kind of mechanical fixing of the ligaments, tendons and muscles that hold the joint together. you lose range of motion but unless you're a Tennis player or MLB pitcher you probably wouldn't even notice, decent physio and you will eschew the nerve pain.

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Lowell George became very large and managed to play, just a shame he overdosed. He was a great slide guitarist.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • I'm not famous but i am fat! 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited August 2019

The worlds biggest man plays guitar...

Most of us could do with reprioritising our lives and looking at our diet and exercise regime. I’m guilty - although currently not as inactive as I have been in the past. I now need to align my eating with my exercising to see some real changes.

If playing the guitar is difficult and provides the motivation you need to shed some timber - good luck. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    Have you considered becoming less of a fat bastard? 

It seems to be working for me so far. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

And then yo-yoed back. To be honest, I'm quite worried about the guy. Not that I know him, but I've followed his playing for years. A true virtuoso's virtuoso.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    DLM said:

And then yo-yoed back. To be honest, I'm quite worried about the guy. Not that I know him, but I've followed his playing for years. A true virtuoso's virtuoso.
    I haven't watched any of his videos for a while...has he let it go a bit, then? Last I saw, he had some sort of muscle or tendon injury which was starting to get him down a fair bit (understandably).
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    Lebarque said:
    Huel.

Tastes grim!
    It's ok. And it works.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    Iamnobody said:

Most of us could do with reprioritising our lives and looking at our diet and exercise regime. 
    Absolutely, it's too often overlooked.

Speaking to someone the other day, they were saying how they don't have time to cook / eat healthy, or go to gyms / keep fit, mainly because they have to look after someone incapacitated.

Now that's obviously commendable, but it contains a kind of flawed logic. How are they going to keep looking after their dependee, if they aren't in good shape themselves?

Always make your own health top priority, even if it's only for the sake of others. (kids, partners, sick mum, what have you)

Stay healthy chums x 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    DLM said:

He's amazing. As for his yo-yo, it's not atypical when someone goes from one extreme to the other. It's very, very hard to keep at the level of mass and body fat % he was at, it really requires dedication to the point of obsession. And when things go wrong, they have a tendency to really go wrong for people with this type of personality. A sort of all-or-nothing mentality: if I can't be ripped like a Greek god then I might as well let myself go completely. I hope he turns it around.