Valuation on a 1985 Fender Esquire 62 Re-issue, Candy Apple Red, Double Bound:

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72302
    John_P said:

A shame yours hasn’t got the original case but they are cool guitars.    
    There is no original case - they were not supplied with one. If it has a Fender case it was bought separately. A lot of them have a tweed case which was commonly available then, the manufacturer clearly spotted a gap in the market!

As already said there is no difference between a Tele and an Esquire body. The only way to tell an original Esquire body is if there are no screw holes for the neck pickup in the cavity - Bruce Springsteen’s old Esquire is a good example... he says it’s an Esquire neck on a Tele body, but it could just as easily be an original Esquire later fitted with the neck pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    ICBM said:
    John_P said:

A shame yours hasn’t got the original case but they are cool guitars.    
    There is no original case - they were not supplied with one. If it has a Fender case it was bought separately. A lot of them have a tweed case which was commonly available then, the manufacturer clearly spotted a gap in the market!

As already said there is no difference between a Tele and an Esquire body. The only way to tell an original Esquire body is if there are no screw holes for the neck pickup in the cavity - Bruce Springsteen’s old Esquire is a good example... he says it’s an Esquire neck on a Tele body, but it could just as easily be an original Esquire later fitted with the neck pickup.
    I bought mine new with a moulded fender case.    Maybe that was an add on and I didn’t realise.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    John_P said:

I bought mine new with a moulded fender case.    Maybe that was an add on and I didn’t realise.   
    Yes, must have been done by the dealer.

Makes a change from the likes of Sound Control taking the cases off the US Fenders and making you pay more for them separately when they were supposed to be included!

In fact, the moulded case may be a USA Standard case, I don't think there was a MIJ one (although I could be wrong).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• King85King85 Frets: 631
  • igotgasigotgas Frets: 16
    KDS said:
    igotgas said:
    KDS said:
    I’m sure I’ll be first of many to point out it is not an esquire, it’s a telecaster. For value check sold prices on ebay
    With the greatest of respect, you are wrong.  I suggest you re-read the post.  =)
    I realised my error pretty much as I posted it, hence the edit, never seen a bound esquire before. Nice looking :)
    Thanks!
    grungebob said:
    Don’t mean to be a dick but if you bought it off eBay you paid and therefore know how much it’s worth surely?
    unless it was mistakenly listed in kitchenware or something?
    You’re not being a dick. I know where you are coming from.
    It was a buy it now/best offer and I was on top of it pretty quick. IMHO, after watching these specific specification dribble through every now and then, they have been quite a bit more.

As I say, it’s the Esquire, mid-eighties, double bound MIJ’s that seem to pop up for eyebrow raising amounts. 

Personally i’d never really considered MIJ Esquire. 

It’s interesting to ask a different peer group such as this one.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5013
    Nice guitar!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3444
    What series is it? Prefix letter on the serial, the serial should be on the bridge plate and not on the neck, they are very desirable , well , the Teles are, from that period with the serial on the bridge. MIJ from 85 ish are said to be the dogs doodlies.

I have seen one of these on eBay for a while now,  why it hasn't sold is beyond me, if I had the money I would snap it up.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited August 2019
    Nice guitar.  While there's quite a few Telecaster versions from that era kicking about (I have a sunburst '85 and it's great), I've never seen the Esquire version.  Certainly rarer for sure, but it looks like the only difference being the "Esquire" decal on the headstock. 

Value-wise, £600 seems to be the quoted value for MIJ Teles in general (the Andertons one was a later model with a different bridge - possibly Crafted In Japan era), although I'm waiting patiently for values to rise for these early models - have you seen the asking prices on JV Squires these days?  These are AFAIK the same factory and build quality.  No idea how much the Esquire name adds in terms of value.  A collector probably wouldn't be chuffed with the absence of the original pickup and wiring.  The wiring was indeed cheap plastic-covered stuff but the original bridge pickups are pretty good.

Case-wise mine came with the Fender moulded case as a few above, so maybe there was some deal with them coming with this case back in the day.

I would recommend checking the pencil date on the neck heel - according to this page an A serial on the bridge doesn't guarantee a 1985 date as the bridges were from a parts bin and used randomly.  Mine is A016xxx so not too far away from your A020xxx.

Anyway, a fine-looking guitar which really should be returned to Esquire spec for it to fulfil its potential.

robgilmo said:
    What series is it? Prefix letter on the serial, the serial should be on the bridge plate and not on the neck, they are very desirable , well , the Teles are, from that period with the serial on the bridge. MIJ from 85 ish are said to be the dogs doodlies.

I have seen one of these on eBay for a while now,  why it hasn't sold is beyond me, if I had the money I would snap it up.
    ^ Is that the one up for £995?  That's a strong price but perhaps indicative of rising value, although as you say is hasn't sold yet.  Again, no actual proof that's it's an '85, no pictures of the neck heel.  Serial number of A071137 is sky high unless they made 70,000 examples (or at least bridges for them) in the first year!
    robgilmo said:

It’s A020xxx. I would agree that they are great guitars. Certainly stands up well against my 62 custom shop telecaster.
    edited August 2019
    Nice guitar.  While there's quite a few Telecaster versions from that era kicking about (I have a sunburst '85 and it's great), I've never seen the Esquire version.  Certainly rarer for sure, but it looks like the only difference being the "Esquire" decal on the headstock. 

Value-wise, £600 seems to be the quoted value for MIJ Teles in general (the Andertons one was a later model with a different bridge - possibly Crafted In Japan era), although I'm waiting patiently for values to rise for these early models - have you seen the asking prices on JV Squires these days?  These are AFAIK the same factory and build quality.  No idea how much the Esquire name adds in terms of value.  A collector probably wouldn't be chuffed with the absence of the original pickup and wiring.  The wiring was indeed cheap plastic-covered stuff but the original bridge pickups are pretty good.

Case-wise mine came with the Fender moulded case as a few above, so maybe there was some deal with them coming with this case back in the day.

I would recommend checking the pencil date on the neck heel - according to this page an A serial on the bridge doesn't guarantee a 1985 date as the bridges were from a parts bin and used randomly.  Mine is A016xxx so not too far away from your A020xxx.

Anyway, a fine-looking guitar which really should be returned to Esquire spec for it to fulfil its potential.

Hi, 
    Yes, the price point on the Tele’s seems to differ for some reason I would say though. 

I may well return it to original spec. I’m a little hesitant to remove the neck unless it’s specifically required so the exact date shall remain a mystery for the time being. That said, I may be tempted to take a peek on the next string change.  3

Sorry to be a pain, do you think you’d mind editing your post to remove the full serial number please?
    i know it’s visible elsewhere right now but once those pictures become offline it would be good not to broadcast the whole thing if that’s okay?

On the case front, these were dealer specific promotions. The Mid-80’s Esquires were not offered with cases back then. 

I’ll definitely be hanging on to this guitar for a while as, asides from it being a stunning guitar, it was recently played at a special gig by one of my favourite guitarists.  3
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    igotgas said:
    robgilmo said:

It’s xxxxxx. I would agree that they are great guitars. Certainly stands up well against my 62 custom shop telecaster.
    I almost bought one a few years back, got outbid on it, I was dubious as to its originality because I knew nothing about them at the time, when I got clued up could I find another at that price? No, of course not!  One day though..
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/japanese-tele-no-serial-number.645879/

robgilmo said:
    igotgas said:
    robgilmo said:

It’s A020xxx. I would agree that they are great guitars. Certainly stands up well against my 62 custom shop telecaster.
    I almost bought one a few years back, got outbid on it, I was dubious as to its originality because I knew nothing about them at the time, when I got clued up could I find another at that price? No, of course not!  One day though..
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/japanese-tele-no-serial-number.645879/

Wow, from that thread one went for £350 plus fees?  £434 or thereabouts.  Nice!
    igotgas said:

Hi, 
    Yes, the price point on the Tele’s seems to differ for some reason I would say though. 

I may well return it to original spec. I’m a little hesitant to remove the neck unless it’s specifically required so the exact date shall remain a mystery for the time being. That said, I may be tempted to take a peek on the next string change.  3

Sorry to be a pain, do you think you’d mind editing your post to remove the full serial number please?
    i know it’s visible elsewhere right now but once those pictures become offline it would be good not to broadcast the whole thing if that’s okay?

On the case front, these were dealer specific promotions. The Mid-80’s Esquires were not offered with cases back then. 

I’ll definitely be hanging on to this guitar for a while as, asides from it being a stunning guitar, it was recently played at a special gig by one of my favourite guitarists.  3
    I'd be checking the neck ASAP, you've paid for an early one, if it turns out not to be 1985 you'll be a bit gutted, so I'd do it pronto and raise it with the seller if it turns out not to be '85.  It's only four wood screws and you can easily refit the same strings what with it having the hole-type vintage tuners.

The chap on TDPRI that Rob linked to above was asking if anyone could beat 19th April 1985 as a neck date - there's a chance yours could!  I might have another look at mine as well, I can't find the pics I took of it now.

I've edited my original post to remove the serial number, you'll need to edit your quote of it as well!

Go on, spill the beans, who played it?  As we know from Essex Recording Studios, a vaguely famous guitarist once having played a couple of licks on a guitar instantly doubles its value! :)

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’m finding this thread really useful - I hadn’t thought that much about the history of these guitars as I still think of it as a modernish fender.  
    Serial number on mine A021687 so slightly later - just popped the neck off to have a look and indeed it is dated Feb 86 so not the 85 model I had remembered it as.  
    Body is stamped tlc62 and the neck stamped tlc54 which I’d have thought meant a maple neck but apparently they labelled rosewood models like that. 
    edited August 2019
    I would be hanging on to a guitar like that, its an early Japanese and its quirky as its an Esquire, apparently they play beautifully, whats not to like? My guess is they will go the same way as JV Squiers and the value will only increase. And because people think they dont have a serial number they can be found cheap, that auction I got outbid on stated that it didn't have a serial number so most gave it a wide birth.
    Modellista said:

I'd be checking the neck ASAP, you've paid for an early one, if it turns out not to be 1985 you'll be a bit gutted, so I'd do it pronto and raise it with the seller if it turns out not to be '85.
    No offence intended, but this is a perfect illustration of "year" bullshit.

There is no difference between an "85" and an "86" of the same spec. It makes no difference to its value as a guitar.

Sorry, a bit of a pet peeve... every damn thing is sold as a "xx" (year) these days, as if that's more important than what it actually is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    John_P said:
    I’m finding this thread really useful - I hadn’t thought that much about the history of these guitars as I still think of it as a modernish fender.  
    Serial number on mine A021687 so slightly later - just popped the neck off to have a look and indeed it is dated Feb 86 so not the 85 model I had remembered it as.  
    Body is stamped tlc62 and the neck stamped tlc54 which I’d have thought meant a maple neck but apparently they labelled rosewood models like that. 

Doesnt the 62 donate the reissue year and the 54 was how much it cost in Yen?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom