Is Mayer overrated?

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
I got really in to Mayer about a year ago. He does some good pop songs but the more I listened to him the more I realised he was just ripping off others. Jimmy Hendrix, SRV mostly, I've even heard Pearl Jam in one of his songs.

My point is, can you really be a great if you haven't bought anything new?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Probably. 

/thread
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hang on, let me grab the greatnessometer. Hang on, it died when measuring Bonamassa.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    Yup. Next question?
  • He's great, be thankful theres mainstream pop acts keeping proper guitar playing relevant and alive. 

In a sea of baby boomers complaining about modern music lacking everything that their favourites had, Mayer manages to fuse old school guitar playing chops with modern pop appeal.

Not to even get started on the entire generation of young 20 something guitarists hes influenced since he's been on the scene and managing to stay in touch with younger artists into his 40s. 

Big respect. 

https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    The people that like him are obviously wrong. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    He's wet as a guppy but is a genuine proper musician and great guitarist. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4778
    No, absolutely not.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    soma1975 said:
    He's wet as a guppy but is a genuine proper musician and great guitarist. 
    This.

To appreciate how good a player he is go find him with ed Sheeran on YT. headphones on and listen to the timing and arrangement of what he plays, whilst also providing pitch perfect harmonies.

I find his writing and albums hit and miss, but overrated? No.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    The guy’s dated Jennifer Aniston and has a signature PRS guitar. He’s obviously done something right....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    He’s done enough genius stuff to mean he’s def not overrated in my book. Aside from Continuum era greatness, was listening to Born and Raised (album) on the way home in the car tonight and it’s a songwriting masterclass. It’s a beautiful record.

His last album though is just a bit too much crap white-boy soul with songs like “still feel like your man” and “love on the weekend” just too lyrically creepy / cringe to actually listen too. Just sounds like he needs a bloody girlfriend and to get out a bit more.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    Yes.
    But I listen when Pino is on the bass. Because Pino is awesome. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Try playing “Neon” , I mean properly , note for note ...then try playing “Neon” whilst singing. 

Not overrated in my book . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Overrated as a guitar player? I suspect only by people who don’t play much guitar. Eric Clapton had very kind words to say about him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    Barnezy said:
    He does some good pop songs but the more I listened to him the more I realised he was just ripping off others
    You can say that about most guitarists.  Very few guitarists sound just like themselves, they borrow from their influences - obviously some more than others. 

I have nothing against JM either way, I don't like or dislike his music but the guy can definitely play guitar. 
  • I really only know the live album and it is very impressive. Certainly his guitar influences are there to heard but his songwriting elevates him beyond just being a guitar player.

It is like SRV could sing and write catchy tunes.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    edited August 2019
    My question wasn't is he good. We all know he is, but has he done anything for guitar that puts him up there with SRV, Hendrix, Claptop, BB King etc.... which is where so many seem to put him. 

Personally I really like listening to him, possibly because it's so familiar, but I don't understand the legend status he seems to have. 

Ed Sheeran has a signature Martin and was banging a Nicole Scherzinger, doesn't mean he's a guitar legend.... and he's a more sucessful songwritter.

I personally think Mayer lucked out by becoming known before Spotify took over. There are thousands of great bands and guitarists out there but none of them become known because the way people consume music now. If Mayer came out now, he'd just be lost in the mass of singer songwritters, never to be known. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He's good at the bluesy soloing, I like his feel and phrasing, but nothing stands out about him I haven't heard before.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • His blues references are obvious but listen to the early acoustic versions of ‘Neon’ then check out the influence Charlie Hunter had on him (which he’s acknowledged) - shows that there is much more to his playing but obviously the bluesy stuff was the sensible commercial route! 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Barnezy said:
    My question wasn't is he good. We all know he is, but has he done anything for guitar that puts him up there with SRV, Hendrix, Claptop, BB King etc.... which is where so many seem to put him. 

Personally I really like listening to him, possibly because it's so familiar, but I don't understand the legend status he seems to have. 

Ed Sheeran has a signature Martin and was banging a Nicole Scherzinger, doesn't mean he's a guitar legend.... and he's a more sucessful songwritter.

I personally think Mayer lucked out by becoming known before Spotify took over. There are thousands of great bands and guitarists out there but none of them become known because the way people consume music now. If Mayer came out now, he'd just be lost in the mass of singer songwritters, never to be known. 
    That golden age where a player or band is simply just great has passed. We like snippets from individuals/bands like Mayer. The problem is, that not a single one of these guys or bands can consistently make good music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom