New Seymour Duncan 'Jimi' handwound PUP's

What's Hot

Comments

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 980
    What do you expect?
    Jimi made so few pickups before he died, yet these have a signature!
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Plus they are "boxed". That'll make them sound much better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Those have existed for a while. It takes months for supplies to cross the Atlantic Ocean. When they finally arrive, the prices look ridiculous because our currency is now worth about as much as a dog turd.

Then, of course, the Hendrix family estate takes a cut.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Jimi Hendrix would be winding in his grave.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    edited August 2019
    worthless without a 900 quid tone bender from macaris
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    And to think the original set got drenched in petrol and set on fire.
    I don't think Hendrix was too precious about guitars and pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    You aren't paying for the pickups ...
    Cost breakdown from a pickup winder:
    Vulcanised fibre for flatwork ... about three quid for all three pickups.
    Magnets about 60 p each ... times 18 = £10.80
    Winding wire expensive at around £20 for a set of three.
    Eyelets and hookup wire ... perhaps another couple of quid
    Covers about eight quid.

so actual materials ... not allowing for quantity discounts ... just under £44.00 for three pickups.

Time taken to hand wind the pickups ... well assuming that Seymour winds at about 500rpm (somewhere about average for a hand winder, though some are faster)  sixteen minutes per pickup. so 48 minutes a set. allowing a generous 15mins to solder on hookup wires that's about an hour to wind a set. I would assume Seymore wouldn't build up his own bobbins, so I'd allow another 30 minutes for someone to press in the magnets etc before he starts ... so say an hour and a half build up time.

So £789.00 minus materials is £745 in labour, export costs, dealer markup etc.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    That's a lot of money for hype.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583

A good chunk of that cash will be going to the money grabbing Hendrix estate who seem to excel in wringing every last penny out of Jimi's name.

I'm also not too sure about   "If you've ever wanted to recapture Hendrix's sound with the utmost attention-to-detail, these pickups will get you closer than anything you will have ever heard before!"

This was one Strat out of the dozens that he toured with and no way of knowing if he played it ever again after that night! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Well whatever their merits, it's questionable that they'll recapture the Hendrix sound most people have in their heads, given that he'd already recorded 3 1/2 out of his total of 4 studio albums before he even met Seymour Duncan. 

Luckily I've always wanted to sound like the 5th and 6th songs in the Miami Pop Festival set, so I've just ordered a set. 
    :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    Actually that's key. Hendrix used to carry his pickups around in a box, resting on a silk pillow being carried by Mitch Mitchell wherever he went. That's how important they were to his sound. They even had their own room at hotels, where they'd spend every free evening sniffing corks of expensive wine that would be poured away, and farting into the sock drawers. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Covers about eight quid.

so actual materials ... not allowing for quantity discounts ... just under £44.00 for three pickups.

Time taken to hand wind the pickups ... well assuming that Seymour winds at about 500rpm (somewhere about average for a hand winder, though some are faster)  sixteen minutes per pickup. so 48 minutes a set. allowing a generous 15mins to solder on hookup wires that's about an hour to wind a set. I would assume Seymore wouldn't build up his own bobbins, so I'd allow another 30 minutes for someone to press in the magnets etc before he starts ... so say an hour and a half build up time.

Ah, but what price bragging rights?

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    Actually that's key. Hendrix used to carry his pickups around in a box, resting on a silk pillow being carried by Mitch Mitchell wherever he went. That's how important they were to his sound. They even had their own room at hotels, where they'd spend every free evening sniffing corks of expensive wine that would be poured away, and farting into the sock drawers. 

It was only PAFs that farted into the sock drawers ...come on man ... get your 'legends of the mojo' right! Seth lover was taught by an incontinent Tibetan monk how to bestow the gift of cornucopias anal miasma on inanimate pickup carcasses in the mid fifties. Amateurs ... trust a proper pickup maker for bullshit :-)  

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 358
    Reading the blurb it seems that these pickups are exact replicas of one of Seymour's first attempts at pickup winding, before he got any good at it.

It was nice of Jimi to indulge the kid by using them really.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Reading the blurb it seems that these pickups are exact replicas of one of Seymour's first attempts at pickup winding, before he got any good at it.

It was nice of Jimi to indulge the kid by using them really.
    If he did!  Might have just picked up another strat of the same colour and used that instead. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3488
    Covers about eight quid.

Another superb post from Ash, it's great to have insights to how much the materials cost and the processes behind making pickups.  

Thanks for the info. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Sorry... but I call bullshit.

1968, a kid walks backstage before a show with some pickups he wound himself using his record player. He manages to persuade the world's most famous guitar player to install these pickups in a guitar backstage before a show and then said guitar player walks out on stage with these in his trusted axe... bollocks. Didn't happen. 

There's a lot a hyperbole and story here. Firstly, how did he get backstage before a gig. Secondly who in their right mind would allow a kid to convince them to stick a set of homemade pickups in their guitar before a gig? In view of how long Mr Duncan has been making pickups why is it only *now* that this story is coming out - is it because everyone that could corroborate the story is *DEAD*?

If you are insane/or just straighforward clinically stupid you deserve to have £800 lifted off you for these. But seeing as Mr Hendrix's favourite guitars *DID NOT* have these pickups installed (for example: I've held the Woodstock white Strat - standard pickups, guys... nothing fancy - and there used to be pics on line of the Black Strat from Monica's bedroom with the pickguard off, can't find them now) it could be stated that perhaps Lord Jimi didn't like them quite as much as Mr Duncan thinks he did.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    Sorry... but I call bullshit.

Firstly, how did he get backstage before a gig.

That bit at least could well be true.  This was well before the days of security, backstage passes etc.  Probably wasn't difficult to walk in there.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    edited August 2019
    Funny... the only pics of the Cincinnati show have him playing his normal cream strat with the rosewood board (period correct - he went to maple a bit later). Then there's this account of the show..

https://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-many-guitars-of-jimi-hendrix.html

According to this, the guitar Hendrix played at this show that *may* have had something to do with Seymour Duncan was a Jazzmaster.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    impmann said:

There's a lot a hyperbole and story here. Firstly, how did he get backstage before a gig. Secondly who in their right mind would allow a kid to convince them to stick a set of homemade pickups in their guitar before a gig? 

It was the 60's, maybe Jimi had just dropped some acid and was convinced Duncan was the Mystical Pickup Wizard.