Strandberg Boden 7?

octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
Looking for anyone with some experience of the current crop of the Strandberg Bodens.

I need a 7 string that I can take on flights and don't want to go over the top in terms of price so a made to measure Strandberg isn't going to work for me.
I can get another Forshage but that will take 18 months to order and build.
The current Indonesian ones look good but how well do they hold up?

Looking for a non-trem 7 string, probably Original.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    I found the locking mechanism at the “nut” poorly engineered and screaming of shoddy design and excess movement . The neck shape is surprisingly comfortable and you soon get to grips with it 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    sweepy said:
    I found the locking mechanism at the “nut” poorly engineered and screaming of shoddy design and excess movement . The neck shape is surprisingly comfortable and you soon get to grips with it 
    That is disappointing to hear- Forshage used ABM hardware and it is faultless.
    I might buy a Strandberg with a return policy and see if it works for me, or look at Kiesel.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    edited August 2019
    There is an eccentric cam system that relies on the corresponding block to locate it horizontally and when you tighten it sufficiently to stop the high E slipping the whole assembly moves, needless to say it didn’t inspire confidence

http://guitarworks.thestrandbergs.com/2009/08/28/string-lock-explained/
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    sweepy said:
    There is an eccentric cam system that relies on the corresponding block to locate it horizontally and when you tighten it sufficiently to stop the high E slipping the whole assembly moves, needless to say it didn’t inspire confidence
    Hmmm... that will irritate.
    Looks like Kiesel are the go then.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    octatonic said:
    sweepy said:
    That is disappointing to hear- Forshage used ABM hardware and it is faultless.
    I might buy a Strandberg with a return policy and see if it works for me, or look at Kiesel.
    Personally I think that ABM stuff isn't that good in terms on engineering, especially considering the cost. The grub screws at the locking nut tighten straight on to the string, so the rotation pulls the string to one side. It works, but it isn't elegant.
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    As an aside - do Strandberg still use different grades of hardware?
    I remember they did when the import line first launched.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I've got the prog 7 (ie one with a trem) and really like it. The nut IS a bit of a pain in the arse, but you do get used to it. I was very paranoid when changing strings the first time as all the advice said to be really careful when tightening - as it's mounted on wood, if you accidentally over tighten it can wreck the whole thing - but really it's the same amount of tweaking you'd do on any locking trem unit. Got a bit string slippage the first time, but after I'd got used to it, it's fine. It's lovely to play, and the multi scale makes the 7-stringness of it sound and feel SO much tighter and controlled than my Ibanez 7 (which is still great, but in a different way). I'm undecided about the Fishmans though. Sound great and powerful live - lots of punch - but occasionally I just want normal pickups - think I'm still getting used to them. The whole thing is really comfy and light to play. If you were in the area you'd be welcome to try it, but I seem to remember you're moving about overseas at the moment  =)
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    One more thing - the tuners on the bridge. They are pretty stiff - I use the allan key thing supplied to tune, as it's lots quicker than doing it by hand! They also each have a thin white washer between them and the bridge - when you take off the tuners to change strings, it's next to impossible to get the washer back on and still get enough grip on the thread to get the tuner itself back on...so I've taken a few of them out completely. Minor gripe, definitely not enough to send it back though!
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I would say try before you buy. 

I went to buy one the other week, utterly convinced it was for me, I’ve been waiting for a certain signature model to come out. 

Apart from an absolutely appalling demo experience at Camden Guitar Guitar, just awful - within five minutes I realised I didn’t get on with the neck so much I literally could barely play it. 

I love the look, concept and sound but the back of the neck just doesn’t line up with where my thumb wants to be
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    I had a similar experience. Also tried it in Guitar Guitar. The guys were nice enough but the neck ridge sat exactly on my rhumb joint