Anyone use 7 string guitars much?

axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
I'm making a seven string guitar at the moment. I was just wondering if anyone here uses a 7 string much, and if there is any reason as to why you like them?

I have had a strange obsession with the idea of them since seeing Steve Vai's one on the Passion & Warfare cover, but I've never really had much of a go with them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I am definitely seven-string curious. I think the main reason I've never bought one is that I would have to improve my left hand technique and stop hanging my thumb over the top. I'd have to play proper chords!!

Also I like neck single coils and most seven strings seem to HH or HSH.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    I've bought several over the years and I always love them but, I end up selling them. Then I get curious again so I end up buying another!

I've just got a cheapy (but great playing) Squier Stagemaster 7 at the moment and I use that for when I'm in the mood for something heavy. It's also nice to play something a bit different from what I play more often.
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    Yeah I use them quite a bit .. but just for heavy retuned stuff... never really understood the need for extended range for soloing .. they are super fun, I just like that u can do normal stuff on the regular six string but then go down to the low b (or a in my case) brings the brutalz .. do u have any in progress pics? What shape are u going for? 
  • I go through phases of wanting one... last time I was in Peach I had a go on one, but I felt like I wasn't making the most of it. I probably need to get one and spend a bit of time with it... I'm starting to feel the itch again lately
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Same here - Steve made me want one. So several years ago I got a Harley Benton HB7. I play half of Psychosocial on it every now and then, and it goes back to the bottom of the pile. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    edited August 2019
    The urge to go seven string and/or medium scale Baritone are closely related.

If you NEED those low notes for the music you play, you will probably already know.

A guitarist’s downward extended pitch range is a four string bassist’s nightmare. Once the guitar goes as low as B, bass guitar has very few pitches that the guitar does not. The options then are dropped tuning or a five string with a low B. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.