DIY Edge Rolling

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 2633
I just tried out the Player and American Pro Strats.

I actually preferred the Player with one exception - the lack of rolled fretboard edges. Because I'm so used to rolled they felt sharp.

I know it's possible DIY roll the edges yourself and there are guides online but I ask the wise men on here - is it a good idea? Any reason not to?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 2500
    I did mine with the round edge of a screwdriver. I just did it side to side until it was smooth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 2507
    not sure if I read doing maple boards can crack the finish
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 2633
    It will be a maple board so very interested if that causes problems
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 6984
    It will definitely crack or remove the finish on the edge of a maple board, depending on method used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 5758
    This can happen on a rosewood board as well. Do not ask me how I know this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 6639
    Philly_Q said:
    It will definitely crack or remove the finish on the edge of a maple board, depending on method used.
    This. 

My mates (definitely not mine, honest Guv) Classic Player Strat. 

https://imgur.com/a/p8ATfa2

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 537
    Would the fret edges not be proud and need bevelled as a result? 
    Not looking too promising so far.

The annoying thing is that neither option are as good as my current Strat; the Pro does have rolled edges but they've changed the shape of the neck to one I like less.
  • markblagdonmarkblagdon Frets: 1243
    Best bet with a lacquered neck is sanding the edges and a wipe over with truoil. That’s how the edges of heavily worn necks would have been rounded, you can’t change the shape without damaging the lacquer.
    Karma......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 2507
    thegummy said:
    Not looking too promising so far.

The annoying thing is that neither option are as good as my current Strat; the Pro does have rolled edges but they've changed the shape of the neck to one I like less.
    Got a nice american special there Gums, lovely satinny maple board on it, right up your street chum.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    Best bet with a lacquered neck is sanding the edges and a wipe over with truoil. That’s how the edges of heavily worn necks would have been rounded, you can’t change the shape without damaging the lacquer.
    When you say lacquered does that include the Player Strat neck or is that the finish used on high end models?
  • markblagdonmarkblagdon Frets: 1243
    thegummy said:
    When you say lacquered does that include the Player Strat neck or is that the finish used on high end models?
    Any hard polymeric wood finish, nitro, polyurethane, etc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacquer
    Karma......
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 1813
    thegummy said:

Good point simply made. Why would anyone expect such a coating to behave otherwise?
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 473
    Just done a bit of edge rolling with a Stanley blade. So far, its working pretty well.
    Rolling or Shaving?
    Sounds a bit like an old Stones track ...
    Zoolooter said:
    Just done a bit of edge rolling with a Stanley blade. So far, its working pretty well.
    Is the fretboard maple or rosewood?
    thegummy said:

Had to ask since Fender use the word lacquer in model names to specifically denote a nitro finish.

So are you saying sanding then wiping with truoil can roll the edges without damaging the surrounding area, or that it will still (or have a good chance of) damage the finish around it but it's still the best way to do it?
    Just remember that Gibson & Fender Nitro finishes are not the same  (Gibson not usually sprayed over Poly like Fender).
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 606
    Sanding the edge between the frets will soften the edge and cause least damage to the surrounding finish. With any scraping method you are likely to chip the finish. Sanding will leave a graduated demarcation between edge-wood and finish, a scraper unilkely to.
    The fret ends shouldnt be affected as the neck edge is only being rounded between the frets. Think of it as being scalloped.

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 17262
    Play the bejaysus out of it for 10 years or so. That'll do the job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 473
    thegummy said:
    Zoolooter said:
    Is the fretboard maple or rosewood?
    Rosewood
  • rossirossi Frets: 762
    I did it to my MIM Fender replacement rosewood tele neck .I gave it a fret job and an edge roll and some of the poly came off the rosewood board side It didnt bother me as I play it ,not worship it .
    Thanks for all the answers guys. Really appreciate how helpful this forum is when I have questions.

In the shop I was heavily leaning towards the Player but that was because I was sure I remembered reading quite a few examples of the fretboard being easily rounded DIY style. Turns out that's not really the case, especially with maple fretboards.

Will need to think more now; wish I was back in the shop comparing them with this knowledge.

I don't know if it's just that I'm used to a rolled edge that it felt unusual and maybe the edges won't really bother me. My P bass isn't rolled and it feels fine and I tried the Player version of that today and it totally felt fine. But I do play them differently to guitars of course.

I suppose I could get the Player then, if it bothered me, get a Pro neck to put on it. The necks don't seem to have much availability at all though, I seem to remember a few years ago it was easy to find Fender necks to buy online.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 294
    Years ago I did try rolling the edge or a maple fingerboard and the finish cracked and looked awful afterwards. I ended up replacing the neck with an Allparts one which I rolled before applying the finish.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 2500
    Done an ebony warmoth one today. Didn't realise that the satin nitro was sprayed over the fretboard edges too, so it's flaked off a bit. Why don't they mask it off? 
    DefaultM said:
    Done an ebony warmoth one today. Didn't realise that the satin nitro was sprayed over the fretboard edges too, so it's flaked off a bit. Why don't they mask it off? 
    That's what Fender do, the finish covers the sides of the fretboard.  It's only the face of the board which is unfinished - unless it's maple of course.
    Coming back to this:

So I've already got a replacement American neck to put on my new guitar since learning that I wouldn't be able to cleanly roll the edges of the Mexican one it comes with.

But now I'm thinking, instead of selling the Mexican neck for a hundred or whatever, maybe I could attempt the roll job on it and attach it to a cheap Squier body or something to have as a "once in a while" mess around with guitar.

What kind of damage are we talking for taking a blade or sander to the corners of a finished maple fretboard? Just look in pretty bad condition or actually have problems that will cause the neck to warp or something?
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 606
    Unless you are spectacularly inept with either method, it will be purely cosmetic. But i would recommend sanding rather than blade, unless you are comfortable scraping wood. You will get a smoother result with sandpaper, and much reduce the chance of chipping the edge.

Adam
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 68
    I think you are over thinking it, rolling the edges is only to speed up the worn in feel from years of playing, it is not needed in areas that see very little playwear, stick some masking tape on top and bottom edges of your fretboard and mark with a pencil the areas you actually play in. Imagine playing the guitar 24 hours a day for a few years, and the areas your hand is in would wear away the finish in those areas only. It drove me mad when I saw a video showing Gibson custom shop offering new 'Improved' edge rolled binding, starting at 21st fret Bass side of the fretboard--looks completely unnatural, and doesnt do ANYTHING except make the binding look odd.
    thegummy said:
    What kind of damage are we talking for taking a blade or sander to the corners of a finished maple fretboard? Just look in pretty bad condition or actually have problems that will cause the neck to warp or something?
    It's just going to get dirty and possibly - in the longer term - peel a bit around the edges where you've removed finish.  No danger of the neck warping unless you're the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

You can always seal the newly-exposed wood with some Tru-Oil or something, which someone suggested earlier. It won't last forever but it'll protect it a bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter