Is there nobody here who buys NEW kit?

What's Hot

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I'm about 50/50 on the guitars.  I do like new (call me a snob if you like) and prefer dealing with traders than taking  chance with a second hand private deal.  That said I have picked up a few guitars through eBay on the basis on a cheeky low bid.   All amps and fx have been new, part of that is not wanting to take a chance on dodgy electrics.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    New for amps for the thommann 3 yr guarantee. Happy to buy guitars 2nd hand but need to have no fretwear so as new.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    After seeing those new Tyler's at Guitar Guitar ;)
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    With guitars I think of myself as more of a s/h guy but looking at my last 11 guitar/bass purchases it actually comes out at 5 new and 6 s/h.

I'm favouring SS amps and multi-fx (also condering modellers) and would go new for those. 

Going forward I think I'm more likely to buy new guitars, possibly even custom made, because guitars with the specs I want are rare and I could wait forever for them to come up on a used guitar.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited August 2019
    Although I buy new guitars, i always haggle, I always ask, they can only say no.  Even a free cable is a free cable.
  • I have only bought pedals new - never guitars or amps.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    I'd say 80% of my gear I bought new.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I usually buy new, but only when I can get a bargain. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    I've only ever bought one new amp, a THR5 all the others were used, 2 joyo pedals bought new, all the others used.  Mostly guitars used, I bought my daughter her first 'proper' acoustic recently and we went to PMT and tried all the entryish level guitars and she chose a washburn, I wanted her to try a few and get the guitar shop experience while there are some left!

Bought one mail order guitar, a harley benton 335 and it was great.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Mixture. Some new, some second hand.  Almost all of the ones I've ended up keeping were ones that were bought new.  My bass is probably the only exception to that.

All the recent new stuff has been at good rates.  The R9 in my avatar was in the blowout last year, and in a shop I would have paid a similar amount for a second hand one.  The last 4 new guitars I've bought have all been at least 15% off the normal retail price.

As others have said, it often makes sense to get electronics new.  When I bought my Kemper, a B stock new one with a full 3 year warranty was only about £100 more than they were going for second hand.  In that situation, you are better going for the new one.

• Why'd you wanna know, OP?

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Cables,parts,strings and some valves new.
    Guitars usually fairly older as any 'settling down'- warping /cracking/falling to bits,is very unlikely.
     Amps second hand too as dodgy transformers/design /QC component issues are much less likely.
       Do like to try before I buy unless things are very well priced.
    When logic and proportion
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    I've tended to get electronics new, but with recent occurrences of getting it home and opening the box to find that someone's already taken the item out, used it (presumably) then inexpertly stuffed it back in the box I'm more tempted by second hand - I mean if I'm going to buy an item that's already taken the depreciation hit, I'd rather pay the post-depreciation price. 

It does bother me more than I want to give mental energy to, so getting something that I know is second hand would at least put my mind at rest. 

In either case, if it doesn't work I'd have to go through the hassle of returning it. 
  • Almost always new guitars due to being incredibly picky. And everything else, amps, pedals etc is second hand, but only if the right thing comes in in good qaulity - because I'm incredibly picky.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Bit of a mix but mainly s/h. A new guitar has to be an unusual heavy discount or similar.
    Sometimes with a pedal new is good - David Barber is a good guy, and getting one direct from him was £20 cheaper than buying from the UK, inc shipping & tax. @Magnetic_Effects aren't pricey either and is great gear. It's nice to be able to support people like this even in a small way.
    s/h effects from tFB classifieds though, lots of that.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Why'd you wanna know, OP?
    Almost every bit of advice to newcomers wondering what guitar to buy with a certain budget, suggest buying used.  Cables often get the suggestion of making your own.  Etc etc

So I wondered if anyone here buys new kit.  That is all.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    Rocker said:
    Why'd you wanna know, OP?
    Almost every bit of advice to newcomers wondering what guitar to buy with a certain budget, suggest buying used.  Cables often get the suggestion of making your own.  Etc etc

So I wondered if anyone here buys new kit.  That is all.
    It is interesting especially when your options can be limited. I would imagine in the SE of England it would be very easy to just pop out to do a deal for a used piece of equipment and expect it to be a reasonable price relfecting the fact it is not new.

If I want something it has to be Reverb really for used and what is on there does whenever I look at it seem a bit overpriced and full of "Marketing" spiel. So, unless I get very lucky if I am after something particular it has to be new. Hence my Furch was new, not really any used ones up for sale in the country and only one shop with actual real stock. My last amp purchase was through Thomann. I am selling a few bits and pieces locally soon so will find out how that side of the local market is like.

My main guitar for the last 12 years was a new purchase.

I have had mixed experiences in the used market when I was living in the UK, as a buyer pretty much all negative, as a seller all positive. So who can say? I despise ebay though. Even 10 years ago it was still ok but when I left the UK a few years ago and selling some stuff it was an awful experience.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 629
    The old kit was made by craftsmen earning union rates. Much of the new kit is made in Asian countries that have little respect for workers' rights.
  • Mostly used. New only if I'm impatient. And I regret these cases almost always.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I'm glad people buy new or there wouldn't be any second hand stuff for us peasants.