The Chameleons - Here Today. Turn this up!

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
edited August 2019 in Music
I was 16 in 1983 when a mate introduced me to The Chameleons John Peel session. It was a monumental moment in my life.

This song, 'Here Today' from The Chameleons incredible debut album is sublime. It's written from the perspective of John Lennon as he was shot.

"Not sure what happened but I don't think I got home tonight....there's blood on my shirt" and the ending lyrics "Where is my wife..I'm draining away?".

Outstanding guitar tones and interplay between Dave Fielding (the chorusy echoey one) & Reg Smithies the distorted rhythmy one.

The Script Of The Bridge album was a huge influence on me as a guitar player. Too good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    with the 50th Anniversary deluxe edition of Abbey Road announced for release next month this is the song I turned to and have played it now 5 times on a row.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I did come here to see what the Chameleons were about, but the mention of John Peel has put me off. I can't stand any of the music that he championed from the 80s on. 

I'm sure it's great if you like that sort of thing though.
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    I did come here to see what the Chameleons were about, but the mention of John Peel has put me off. I can't stand any of the music that he championed from the 80s on. 

A man who says no to 80s indie music says no to life.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3038
    axisus said:
    He championed a ridiculously wide range of music so this makes no sense whatsoever.

axisus said:

Whatever "that sort of thing" is.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I was 16 in 1983 when a mate introduced me to The Chameleons John Peel session. It was a monumental moment in my life.

This song, 'Here Today' from The Chameleons incredible debut album is sublime. It's written from the perspective of John Lennon as he was shot.

"Not sure what happened but I don't think I got home tonight....there's blood on my shirt" and the ending lyrics "Where is my wife..I'm draining away?".

Outstanding guitar tones and interplay between Dave Fielding (the chorusy echoey one) & Reg Smithies the distorted rhythmy one.

The Script Of The Bridge album was a huge influence on me as a guitar player. Too good.

This is probably one of my favourite albums of all-time. It's certainly one from my formative years. I remember getting the train to Wakefield when I was 15 to see them at the Hellfire Club. I was wandering around trying to find the venue when a car full of goths pulled up - "Do you know where the Chameleons gig is mate? Wait, you're from York aren't you? Jump in". We found the venue and the show was superb - I was transfixed, it totally blew me away. There was no train back until early next day, so I hung around in the night club until they locked up then headed to the station and tried to sleep in the waiting room, which proved impossible thanks to a twat of a station master - "It's not a doss house".

Despite all that, I don't count Reg or Dave as big influences on my guitar playing.

Difficult to pick favourites - I love most of the three albums. I think I'd have to go with A Person Isn't Safe Anywhere These Days, Monkeyland, and Prisoners of the Sun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Script Of The Bridge is the greatest debut album of all time.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The interaction between the 2 guitars with bits of keyboard here and there on this album is astonishing. The end coda of the final song ‘View From A Hill’ is so dreamy and melodic, it's amazing.

https://youtu.be/jvHPNoYR-Mg

There are so many good songs and moments on the album it is hard to pick favourites but I have always liked ‘A Person Isn't Safe Anywhere These Days’ as well. A harrowing tale of a brutal break in and assault of an elderly woman. “You just stood laughing in the rain”. Again that end coda is excellent with Mark Burgess' dub like bass playing off against John Lever's (RIP) thumping drums.

https://youtu.be/MGLOeQ3Y618

• GadgieGadgie Frets: 96
    I worked with a lad in Africa that claimed to have been the Chameleons manager or something like that.
    Gadgie said:
    I worked with a lad in Africa that claimed to have been the Chameleons manager or something like that.
    Tony Fletcher was their manager he died suddenly in 1987.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    axisus said:

A man who says no to 80s indie music says no to life.
    Indie! That's the word I was looking for. Can't stand Indie. I was into the Tommy Vance show.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18660
    ^ I listened to both, but John Peel was a total one off legend & he is still missed.
    I'd not have heard The Damned 'New Rose' or The Jesus & Mary Chain if it wasn't for him.
    Or Ivor Cutler  :) :)
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    I heard In Shreds somewhere or other and went down to the local record shop. Only album they had was the Live in Toronto album on tape. Snapped it up, loved it, bought more records the next week. What Does Anything Mean? Basically is the one that gets me. Fucking brilliant album. 

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited August 2019
    Best band ever! 

I’ve got pretty much everything they have released and I still play it frequently these days. I think once a Chameleons fan, always a Chameleons fan!

Out of their three studio albums, Strange Times is my favourite,

I use “Swamp Thing” as my ringtone.

Talking of Swamp Thing - it’s a song I can play, but I’ve never been able to get that “sound”. I came across a YouTube video lesson the other week and he totally nails it. 
    We are all Chameleons...
    TonyR said:
    Best band ever! 

I’ve got pretty much everything they have released and I still play it frequently these days. I think once a Chameleons fan, always a Chameleons fan!

Talking of Swamp Thing - it’s a song I can play, but I’ve never been able to get that “sound”. I came across a YouTube video lesson the other week and he totally nails it. 
    Yes I sw that, it's nailed on, must be all about the CE2 on full depth.

TonyR said:
    Best band ever! 

I think they used Peavey amps with built-in chorus.

R.
    TonyR said:
    Best band ever! 

R.
    And also a Roland Space Echo.

R.
    TonyR said:
    Best band ever! 

R.
    Andy W from The Sun And The Moon definitely used that Peavey amp. I seem to remember seeing at least one Musicman amp on stage with the Chams. Plus the RE-301.
    I said maybe.....
    For me, SOTB->WDAMB->ST.
    Script changed everything. I don't ever recall guitars being used that way before. By Strange Times, Burgess had learnt how to play guitar and was now writing a good portion of the tunes and for me, much of what made them unique was fading away, being more "chordy" in nature. Don't get me wrong, I still love Strange Times, but I think that SOTB and WDAMB sound more vital.
    I said maybe.....
  • ewalewal Frets: 2580
    I agree Sript of the bridge was their classic - I wore my copy out - such a strong album from start to finish. I was also 16 when it came out and spent many an evening alone in my bedroom listening to it. The albums that followed had their moments, but were nowhere near as consistent.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    I don't know how true it is, but I recently read that Reg played almost all the guitar on Strange Times, with Dave doing the keys. That may well explain why the guitar interplay isn't anywhere near as pronounced as on the first two albums.
    I said maybe.....