Fingerboard radius and its relevance to pickup polepiece stagger

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
edited August 2019 in Guitar
With some radius gauges, I made a hand-drawn diagram...

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/vCfWNVP.jpg)

Black: 7.25”
Green: 9.5”
Red: 12”
Black: 16”

Towards the edges of the fingerboard:
There is some difference between the 7.25 and 9.5 radii.
Less difference between 9.5” and 12”
Even less difference between 12 and 16”

7.25” compared with 9.5”
The 1st and 6th strings are 1mm lower

Same difference between 9.5mm and 16mm

No significant difference between 12 and 16mm radii

This minimises the effect of fingerboard radius on polepiece stagger - particularly if one is placing Strat pickups far away from the strings (say 5mm away)

It would therefore appear that the louder unwound (plain) modern 3rd string is more relevant (than fingerboard radii) to polepiece stagger and relative string volumes...

What do you think...?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I prefer not to think about it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    I have a Stratocaster with a 16 inch radius neck. Recently acquired a lovely set of single coil pickups with very slightly staggered polepieces.  Given the time and effort  involved in installing the pickups, I like to think about it beforehand. If I know full well  beforehand, that there will be inter-string volume imbalance, I’d rather not put in the effort...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    It baffles me why people who choose Fender guitars with a modern shallow or compound fingerboard radius insist on pickups with a polepiece length “stagger” pattern associated with the vintage 7.25” radius and medium gauge strings with a wound G. (Listen with your eyes, perhaps?)

FWIIW, the polepiece length radius pattern employed on Seymour Duncan Stack pickups for Stratocaster goes perfectly with old MIJ Charvel Model series shred sticks. IMO, they should offer it on their single coil pickups.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    Personally, I am not at all insisting on a staggered set of polepieces.

The set of pickups I already have just so happens to be staggered with a significantly elevated 4th pole and a mildly elevated 3rd.  Ideally, I would want to drop the 3rd pole very slightly -  apparently that’s safer than the first and sixth poles, but I’m not going to risk damaging the pickup.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    In my opinion the stagger imparts a tonal quality irrespective of radius. Even with a flat board, it'll sound more vintage accurate using pickups with the vintage stagger. They're not staggered in an arch because there was some tonal compensation going on in the design of it too.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    Alegree said:
    In my opinion the stagger imparts a tonal quality irrespective of radius. Even with a flat board, it'll sound more vintage accurate using pickups with the vintage stagger. They're not staggered in an arch because there was some tonal compensation going on in the design of it too.
    Makes sense to me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    jaymenon said:

What do you think...?
    That stagger is irrelevant and unnecessary - flat-pole pickups sound fine, even with a 7.25" radius. The only compensation needed at all is possibly a little for the wound strings, so the A and D might benefit from being a touch higher, but that's all.

In fact, with a plain G you actively *don't* want a stagger, with the G highest. The G is always clangy on a vintage Strat because of this.

But I would listen for any problems before assuming they need adjusting, anyway - especially with any kind of overdriven sound it's unlikely to be noticeable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    On my own personal use guitars I do prefer a flat magnet profile with the magnets not sticking out far from the top of the covers as i'm prone to catching my pick or fingers on ones with very raised poles.
    I favour flat profile boards of either 12" or flatter if a compound radius like on a Charvel so the flat magnet profile is well matched

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    On my own personal use guitars I do prefer a flat magnet profile with the magnets not sticking out far from the top of the covers as i'm prone to catching my pick or fingers on ones with very raised poles.
    Me too - I always found I broke my fingernails on raised poles, sometimes even if they were flat but not truly flush to the cover, although a high G was by far the worst. But I recently discovered that the DiMarzio Area 61 is fine, even though it has raised A and D poles - they're extremely bevelled, and that takes away the sharp edge that (it turns out) was the real problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• My 73 Strat with 7.25” radius neck has always had pickups with flat pole pieces. I bought it in 79, so I don't know what was on it when new. The bridge pup is a DiMarzio, I think (black plastic bobbin) and the others have grey cardboard bobbins. 

I don't worry about the lack of stagger because it sounds great as it is. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    jaymenon said:

What do you think...?
    That stagger is irrelevant and unnecessary - flat-pole pickups sound fine, even with a 7.25" radius. The only compensation needed at all is possibly a little for the wound strings, so the A and D might benefit from being a touch higher, but that's all.

In fact, with a plain G you actively *don't* want a stagger, with the G highest. The G is always clangy on a vintage Strat because of this.

But I would listen for any problems before assuming they need adjusting, anyway - especially with any kind of overdriven sound it's unlikely to be noticeable.
    Simply this ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Alegree said:
    If you're playing full 5 or 6 string chords, the vintage stagger will make them sound different because whichever note is being played on the G string will be louder than the others so that part of the chord will be emphasised.

It's musically arbitrary though - different chord shapes will place different notes on that string. So it's not like that stagger will make all chords more thirdy or more octavey or whatever, it'll almost randomly emphasise different parts of the chords you play depending on the shape you use.

For single note playing I hate the stagger. My Strat came with staggered pole pieces (at first I actually thought they looked so cool compared to the flat ones I had seen before, maybe this is the real appeal?) and I'd be playing just at the point where the amp stays clean on other strings then as soon as I go up to the G string it's distorted instead of clean. That's surely never desirable to have that much difference between strings.

You could maybe learn to use that and only ever go up to the G when actively wanting it to be more distorted. But I don't think many people already play like that, I'd much rather be able to go up and down the strings to reach notes without worrying about it changing so drastically in sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    jaymenon said:
    Personally, I am not at all insisting on a staggered set of polepieces.

The set of pickups I already have just so happens to be staggered with a significantly elevated 4th pole and a mildly elevated 3rd.  Ideally, I would want to drop the 3rd pole very slightly -  apparently that’s safer than the first and sixth poles, but I’m not going to risk damaging the pickup.
    I wanted to flatten mine (see above) so I made a thread on here but there weren't many replies at first. I then found a Youtube video where a guy does it to the exact pickups I have (Fat 50s) and it works fine so I went ahead and did it.

By the time I had done that I looked back on the forum and there were a few replies saying that pickups where the wire is wound directly on to the poles - which includes mine - it's very dangerous to do it and it can ruin them. But it was too late and, thank God, I didn't do any damage so now I am much happier with flat pole pieces.

Just to note: I was either going to flatten them or buy brand new ones with flat pole pieces; keeping the stagger wasn't an option. So the gamble was really risking having to get new ones and not being able to sell the old ones if they broke vs. not having to buy new ones at all. So I had quite a lot to win and not too much to lose. But if keeping yours as they are is an option for you then the risk is a lot higher for you so you might not want to touch them.