Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Removing tone pots: likely "tonal" effects?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    @ICBM suggestion seems to make the most sense. I just never use them because I'm a Neanderthal so why not remove them ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I've used the tone control maybe 4 or 5 times in the last 50 years. Volume control's a different story, I use that a lot. I actually can't stand turning down the tone knob, I'm not a fan of the 'woman tone' in fact it disgusts me. Any EQ I need is done at the amp or a graphic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @thegummy and @ICBM :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Surprising to hear all this.

Maybe some people are more likely to tweak their amp or pedals. If I'm playing and it's a bit bright I just use the tone control.

I'd implore people who don't use the tone control at all, even if they're never going to use it for minor adjustments, try turning it all the way off on a neck humbucker - it gives such a beautiful sound!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Tone controls for me as useful as indicator stalks on an audi. 

There but never used. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, I never touch mine on a humbucker equipped guitar and if its there to be messed around with I will.
  • thegummy said:
    Worked for Eddie Van Halen! Thing to do is look at how often you actually use the tone control when playing, I’d like to bet most of us don’t , then if you find you don’t use it just adjust the tone on your set up to suit .
    Surely most people do use it beyond beginner level?

Come to think of it, I don't think I remember seeing the guitarist in my band ever using it, though it's likely I'd just never have noticed.

It would be funny if the type of people who discuss the tone qualities of the number of screws in trems, and the material the nut is made of, never used their tone control.
    I don't use it because it doesn't do anything to the tone that I want it to do.

Bye!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Sassafras said:
    I've used the tone control maybe 4 or 5 times in the last 50 years. Volume control's a different story, I use that a lot. I actually can't stand turning down the tone knob, I'm not a fan of the 'woman tone' in fact it disgusts me. Any EQ I need is done at the amp or a graphic.
    Wiz.  Always thought that "woman tone" sounds awful.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I only use about half the travel usually.
    I use the tone control and pickups a fair bit when jamming with my looper pedal.
  • As might be evident from my post above, I never use the tone control... when I specced up my Custom Shop Jackson I did think about not including a tone pot, but I was a bit stuck in my ways back then 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

TTBZ said:
    Sassafras said:
    Wiz.  Always thought that "woman tone" sounds awful.
    Each to our own but I absolutely love it.

Sounds like a square wave oscillator on a synth to me.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    The effect would probably be the exact opposite of the effect a long cable would have. 
    Like in the other thread.
    Bit hotter/brighter.
    The effect would probably be the exact opposite of the effect a long cable would have. 
    Like in the other thread.
    Bit hotter/brighter.
    That's a good point for those who want a long cable but not the loss of brightness - they could use the long cable then get a no-load tone pot or even remove it completely if they don't use it.

I actually abandoned a short cable and a no-load tone pot for the same reason; I'm not a fan of brightness in guitar tone and both of those make it brighter.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    You can make a foam washer to stop accidentally turning the volume control.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9980
    tFB Trader
    I never use the tone controls on any of my guitars except Strats ... to roll the bridge pickup back a touch (with the tone to bridge pickup conversion). On several of my guitars in the past I've converted the tone controls to progressive coil splits as I find that much more useful, and my Teles all have switching to bypass the tone control entirely. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I’ve got a tone bypass on position 3 of my Esquire, it’s noticeably brighter than position 2 with the tone wide open. It surprised me that there is an audible difference, but there is. 
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    I have done that mod to many, if not all the guitars I’ve had,
    as has been said it will ever so minimally increased the signal of the pickup and to my ears boosting all the frequencies and gain not only top end
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    On a similar vein to this, any idea where I could get a no load tone pot, like the one they fit to the Charvel Pro-Mod series?
    Well for some reason I never knew these were a thing until you brought this up.  Think I might be getting a few to try out.  Thanks man

I think pretty much every Jazz guitarist, me included, uses a tone control on humbuckers to get that warm tone.  Think Joe Pass (turns out he is actually God).  
    That said, if I play Fusion or Rock or Metal I never touch the Tone.
  • Wonky said:
    Worked for Eddie Van Halen! Thing to do is look at how often you actually use the tone control when playing, I’d like to bet most of us don’t , then if you find you don’t use it just adjust the tone on your set up to suit .
    Worked for Ed!  I'd really love to hear that story man.
    That's one reason the guitar I played for that specific project didn't have a tone control.  Didn't use it at all for what I was playing and also I found it give the guitar a slightly wilder feel.  Hard to explain, but sort of un-throttled in a way.  Or maybe tonally open is a better way of putting it.  It did change the tonal character of the pickups, but for that project it really worked well. 
    Check out the Musicman EVH, Ed spec’d no tone control and one volume control to be labelled “Tone”
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk