Mechanics.. any ideas?

What's Hot
Cars a 2013 Vw Golf mk7 (i think) cabriolet. Though its a general issue not model specific. 

Wiper fluid is full. No visible leaks.
When the lever on the steering wheel column is pulled to wash the windscreen, the window wipers wipe just fine, but no fluid is sprayed. 

Just the front, can't check rear as its a drop top so no rear wiper or jets. 

I thought it could be a build up of limescale or something blocking the nozzles as its my mums car and she'd filled up with tap water in a pinch this time around. Though I'm sure the odd occasion wouldnt cause an issue. She usually uses actual screen wash.

But I checked to see if I could hear any noise like you'd expect to hear when the lever is pulled, and its dead silent except for the wipers going. 

So I'm thinking the pump isnt responding? 

If I'm correct do you think the pumps knackered or is there a specific fuse for the pump or something like a switch that could be gone in the control stalk that would let the wipers work but not the pump? 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Check the manual to see what fuse number controls the pump
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Any liquid appearing beneath the car? When we had those symptoms it was simply that one of the hoses feeding he wipers had become disconnected, and it was a quick easy fix.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3614
    If you can’t hear the pump and you usually do I’d suspect the pump. Check it’s fuse first and 5hen that the connectors aren’t detached or corroded. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Time to buy a new car.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Cheers all, will check the manual for the fuse when i'm up in the week. 

Sassafras said:
    Time to buy a new car.
    Haha, now if it was my step dad, any excuse is a good one to buy a newer model!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    Fuse first, then check power to pump, if power is going to the pump check the pump. Usually the pump is at fault, sometimes the wiper control module or switch can be a fault. Had a transit in a while back, the wiper motor burnt out taking a fair chunk of wiring with it. I replaced the motor and rewired it but it had a mind of its own, random parking postion etc, after a lot of investigating it turned out to be a defective washer pump causing the irregular wiper operation.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    skunkwerx said:
    Cheers all, will check the manual for the fuse when i'm up in the week. 

Sassafras said:
    Time to buy a new car.
    Haha, now if it was my step dad, any excuse is a good one to buy a newer model!

It might not tell you, VAG dont usually list fuse designation in a lot of their newer vehicles.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    robgilmo said:
    Fuse first, then check power to pump, if power is going to the pump check the pump. Usually the pump is at fault, sometimes the wiper control module or switch can be a fault. Had a transit in a while back, the wiper motor burnt out taking a fair chunk of wiring with it. I replaced the motor and rewired it but it had a mind of its own, random parking postion etc, after a lot of investigating it turned out to be a defective washer pump causing the irregular wiper operation.
    Thanks for the info dude. 

I'll have a looksee, see what can't be done haha. 
    skunkwerx said:
    robgilmo said:
    Thanks for the info dude. 

I'll have a looksee, see what can't be done haha. 
    You are welcome, let us know how you get on. It might be wise to invest in a decent multimeter if you dont already have one.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

There might be a blockage at the bottom of the washer bottle, something I had in my old Corsa. The pump couldn't even get started so sounded like it wasn't working, but a good clean got it all working again.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    robgilmo said:
     Had a transit in a while back, the wiper motor burnt out taking a fair chunk of wiring with it. I replaced the motor and rewired it but it had a mind of its own, random parking postion etc, after a lot of investigating it turned out to be a defective washer pump causing the irregular wiper operation.
    The motor was probably not the cause.  It's far more likely some idiot used the motor/linkage for jump starting, which results in melting the motor and wiring loom, as the linkage/motor sits on rubber mounts with the only earth being the wiper motor earth wire.
    Ford have a TSB covering it, and they do a loom repair kit (it comes with enough wiring to renew the loom to the earth stud, although you often still have to repair the low brake fluid sensor wiring)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    m_c said:
    robgilmo said:
     Had a transit in a while back, the wiper motor burnt out taking a fair chunk of wiring with it. I replaced the motor and rewired it but it had a mind of its own, random parking postion etc, after a lot of investigating it turned out to be a defective washer pump causing the irregular wiper operation.
    The motor was probably not the cause.  It's far more likely some idiot used the motor/linkage for jump starting, which results in melting the motor and wiring loom, as the linkage/motor sits on rubber mounts with the only earth being the wiper motor earth wire.
    Ford have a TSB covering it, and they do a loom repair kit (it comes with enough wiring to renew the loom to the earth stud, although you often still have to repair the low brake fluid sensor wiring)
    Most of the damage was on the connecting block just before the motor and a good chunk of the wiring before it. The pump was short circuit and must have been effecting the module, probably was a bad jump start that caused it, the battery being under the seat folk will earth off anything they can find. They never tell you this when they bring it in though.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    robgilmo said:

Most of the damage was on the connecting block just before the motor and a good chunk of the wiring before it. The pump was short circuit and must have been effecting the module, probably was a bad jump start that caused it, the battery being under the seat folk will earth off anything they can find. They never tell you this when they bring it in though.
    The good old, "I don't know what happened" routine :-)
    I mostly deal with fleets, so I'm guessing I get it far more than more public orientated garages, but I also have to do reports into how/why it happened, which are a joy. Especially once the driver realises the computer knows the truth.

Favourite just now are Vivaros/Trafics that have been overheated to the point of destruction. I've had a few "No, it didn't just cutout with no warning. The overheat warning light had been on for the previous 18 miles, and it got so hot the EML came on 3 miles before it stopped, because the coolant sensor got so hot, the ECU thought it was faulty." type discussions this year.
    Car came in last week with steam pouring out of it and the temp gauge maxed out, ''how long has it been doing that?''  ''about 5 miles?'' total write off. Low oil pressure is another one, ''the light came on last week, oooh, do turbos really cost that much''?

Had an old partner in a while back, kept blowing the fuse for the injectors every time it was started,  I went through the usual tests but could I find anything wrong with it? I eventually resorted to tracing wires from the fuse box back, unplugging everything and testing as I went, wiring went everywhere, all around the engine bay, through the inner wing, everywhere. I finally found a speed sensor on the gearbox had failed, it shared the same fuse! Was that in the wiring diagrams? No, of course it wasn't! I have to admit though, I would rather be doing jobs like that than servicing and the usual nut and bolt work.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I had a beemer where the hoses would detach from the squirty nozzle, especially if they froze (admittedly not likely at this time of year); when it happened they'd just spray washer fluid under the bonnet. I think they split at one time and needed replacing too.

You can tell if it's the pump because it should make a noise.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    "You got shit, in your carburettor. "

"How often I gotta do that? "
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    You haven't been to a safari park recently, have you? 

The last time I took the grandchildren to Knowsley, the feckin baboons ate half the bloody car - they pull off the nozzles trying to get at the alcohol in the screen-wash liquid.

Cost me 75 quid to get them all replaced.  :p

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Robgilmo has got it covered  right- do that first,but if it is blocked nozzles;
     E string offcut .007"/.013 is great for clearing them.
    When logic and proportion
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Sassafras said:
    Time to buy a new car.
    But please spare us the EmpFab bleedin' heart thread.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Have a look in the bottom of the fluid container, assuming you can actually see it and it’s not buried inside the bodywork. Sometimes the washer fluid turns to a jelly type gunk and blocks everything up.