Mechanics.. any ideas?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• m_cm_c Frets: 1231
    boogieman said:
    Have a look in the bottom of the fluid container, assuming you can actually see it and it’s not buried inside the bodywork. Sometimes the washer fluid turns to a jelly type gunk and blocks everything up. 
    It's worth noting that proper screenwash has additives to stop that happening. Every time I've had to deal with sludged up washer bottles, they've most definitely not contained screenwash.

Fairy Liquid, or laundry detergent are not suitable alternatives!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    m_c said:

Favourite just now are Vivaros/Trafics that have been overheated to the point of destruction. I've had a few "No, it didn't just cutout with no warning. The overheat warning light had been on for the previous 18 miles, and it got so hot the EML came on 3 miles before it stopped, because the coolant sensor got so hot, the ECU thought it was faulty." type discussions this year.
    robgilmo said:
    Car came in last week with steam pouring out of it and the temp gauge maxed out, ''how long has it been doing that?''  ''about 5 miles?'' total write off. Low oil pressure is another one, ''the light came on last week, oooh, do turbos really cost that much''?
    A friend of MrsICBM drove her fairly new car around for a couple of months with the oil warning light on. When it finally stopped working, she was apparently quite shocked when told that it needed a new engine, and that it wasn't covered under warranty. She's not what I would normally call a stupid person either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    ICBM said:
    m_c said:

Favourite just now are Vivaros/Trafics that have been overheated to the point of destruction. I've had a few "No, it didn't just cutout with no warning. The overheat warning light had been on for the previous 18 miles, and it got so hot the EML came on 3 miles before it stopped, because the coolant sensor got so hot, the ECU thought it was faulty." type discussions this year.
    robgilmo said:
    Car came in last week with steam pouring out of it and the temp gauge maxed out, ''how long has it been doing that?''  ''about 5 miles?'' total write off. Low oil pressure is another one, ''the light came on last week, oooh, do turbos really cost that much''?
    A friend of MrsICBM drove her fairly new car around for a couple of months with the oil warning light on. When it finally stopped working, she was apparently quite shocked when told that it needed a new engine, and that it wasn't covered under warranty. She's not what I would normally call a stupid person either.
    People seem to think if a light comes on but the car works OK it isnt broken, its only when it stops working that its broken, you would be surprised the level of ''isnt broken'' that people will allow their car to be driven to. In my opinion its not the owners fault, how are they to know if they arnt mechanically minded, the manufacturers can prevent this, they can easily have a car disable itself when a terminal fault arises so as to minimise the damage. Cars can go into limp mode but in a lot of cases switching the engine off and on again will get it running enough to drive it a while longer causing more damage.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    edited August 2019
    m_c said:
    boogieman said:
    Have a look in the bottom of the fluid container, assuming you can actually see it and it’s not buried inside the bodywork. Sometimes the washer fluid turns to a jelly type gunk and blocks everything up. 
    It's worth noting that proper screenwash has additives to stop that happening. Every time I've had to deal with sludged up washer bottles, they've most definitely not contained screenwash.

It may be just the dealer talking bollocks, but I was told if I used non-Jaguar branded screen wash in our XF then it could go jellified and clog up the washers. I’ve seen various reports of this actually happening in BMWs though, so it might not be complete nonsense. 
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Its quite common for nozzles on cabriolets to become blocked. They are often second cars, and/or used only on sunny days - hence the wipers and washers get used much less often than other cars. I have two, one is off the road at the moment and one of the things on the regular routine is to actually squirt the wipers, there's always a bit of crud that comes out then normal washer fluid.

Do keep us updated on what it actually was.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    edited August 2019
    i've got a sneaky suspicion I'll get there Thursday to find its been part exchanged... 

Seriously. 

My mum and step dad are just like me.. If theyre gassing for something, ANY excuse is the reason to pull the trigger..

They've got a car each, this one being mums. Step dads got a Peugeot 3008. 

Peugeot is for their European archery tours with all their kit and the dog, and the Cab is for cruising the Alps on non sporting holidays.. theyre late 60's the pair!  Admirable really. I used to tell them to slow down, but my step dads had 2 heart attacks and my mum been through cancer on top of most illnesses, losing a kidney, a divorce.. 

Hell, you do only live once. Now I urge them to go nuts every day!

But as retirement looms my step dads been coaxing my mum into part x'ing for a newer cabriolet model thats also petrol as opposed to diesel, so when these laws come in they can still drive into Leyton to watch orient play or something.. and it might last a little longer before they go down to one car.

My mums a motorhead like me, she  wants to sell both cars and buy a merc convertible.. My step dad's a utility kinda guy, must have room for the dog, all their archery kit, all their friends, all the luggage, room to pick up the shopping on the way back, a high driving position, oh and it MUST come in silver or grey... ugh. 

Anyway, I can hear him now.. 

'Nope, its a goner, cheaper to get rid, come on look, I've found a Golf in red and low miles at the local Vw, only live once, you deserve it...' haha.. 

Seriously I bet I get there Thursday after work and its in the process... lol!! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    robgilmo said:

People seem to think if a light comes on but the car works OK it isnt broken, its only when it stops working that its broken, you would be surprised the level of ''isnt broken'' that people will allow their car to be driven to. In my opinion its not the owners fault, how are they to know if they arnt mechanically minded... ?
    Er.... by reading the manual that comes with every car ?

If people can't be arsed to read anything about how to use and maintain this very expensive machine they've just bought, they deserve everything coming to them.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • m_c said:
    boogieman said:

Absolutely true. However some are incompatible, BMW’s have an issue where the pump has a gauze filter on the inlet and if screen wash types are mixed often a sludge can accrue. Blocking the laughably small surface area. Also the location of said pumps in BMWs are in the wheel arch and so a PITA to access (especially in the 4 series) 

hopefully its one of the other excellent pieces of advice in this thread
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    m_c said:
    boogieman said:

Absolutely true. However some are incompatible, BMW’s have an issue where the pump has a gauze filter on the inlet and if screen wash types are mixed often a sludge can accrue. Blocking the laughably small surface area. Also the location of said pumps in BMWs are in the wheel arch and so a PITA to access (especially in the 4 series) 

Most are in the wheel arch these days, not too bad if the car is on a ramp. Personally I just use clean water in mine, sometimes a little white vinegar helps, I find screenwash smells nice but if the screen is dirty I wash it properly. Replacing wiper blades regularly will keep the screen much clearer than screen wash.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @robgilmo wiz’d Cheers
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    Full-fat Coca Cola is the best screen cleaner there is.  I'm not suggesting putting it in the washer bottle - just hand-wash the screen with it.  No more greasy smears.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    boogieman said:
    The MK7 Golf washer bottle must part of some witness protection scheme because, on mine at least, it well and truly has gone into hiding. Pain in the arse as mine doesn't have a low fluid level warning. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    robgilmo said:
    m_c said:
    boogieman said:

Most are in the wheel arch these days, not too bad if the car is on a ramp. Personally I just use clean water in mine, sometimes a little white vinegar helps, I find screenwash smells nice but if the screen is dirty I wash it properly. Replacing wiper blades regularly will keep the screen much clearer than screen wash.
    A bit belt and braces, but I always use de-ionised water (£1 for 2.5 litres in Tesco) with concentrated screen wash as it can help avoid limescaling and corrosion of any aluminium components in the washer systems. Obviously limescale is only an issue if you in a hard water area - I live in Essex where even the water is hard =) !
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    Emp_Fab said:
    Full-fat Coca Cola is the best screen cleaner there is.  I'm not suggesting putting it in the washer bottle - just hand-wash the screen with it.  No more greasy smears.
    But, but.... I know Coke dissolves things but it’s also full of sugar, that’s going to leave a sticky mess all over the glass no?  I wouldn't want to get it on the paintwork either. :s

If the screen is in a real state I just use a bit of meths on a cloth. 
  • maraudermarauder Frets: 133
    My 1 series got a blocked pump, pain in the arse.  Put a low pressure airline on the pipe by the jets, and could here it bubbling in the bottle, clear it for a day or two, but theres still the snot accumulating on the pump filters.  Ended up siphoning the bottle out and repeatedly filling, siphoning, airline on pipe, until it was totally clear.  Used 10 large buckets of water.  Been clear for a month now.  Jets are more powerful than ever in the 3.5 years I've had the car.

My old 3 series did it too, but easy on an E46, just take the bottle out, remove pump, and clean filters, 10 minute job.

I've love to know the logic of putting the bottle behind the inner wheel arch liner, apart for the obvious, £200 dealer job to clear any problems.  It isn't as though there's no room under the bonnet for it.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    My screen washers wouldn’t work when I tried them. Checking under the bonnet I could see the washer bottle was near full and I could hear the pump OK but no fluid to the screen. Also no fluid on the ground. I cleaned the jets which already seemed fine. Scratching head.

Then tracing the tube I found it was squashed flat between two large plastic components. Shortly before I’d had the car serviced and a new battery fitted. Removing/installing the battery meant removing the whole plastic section at the base of the windscreen! In putting it all back the technician obviously didn’t feed the tube through the small hump intended for it but instead squashed it flat. Once the offending parts had been unscrewed and the tube moved to its correct position in the hump the problem was solved. No I won’t be going back to that guy.
    Jimbro66 said:
    My screen washers wouldn’t work when I tried them. Checking under the bonnet I could see the washer bottle was near full and I could hear the pump OK but no fluid to the screen. Also no fluid on the ground. I cleaned the jets which already seemed fine. Scratching head.

Then tracing the tube I found it was squashed flat between two large plastic components. Shortly before I’d had the car serviced and a new battery fitted. Removing/installing the battery meant removing the whole plastic section at the base of the windscreen! In putting it all back the technician obviously didn’t feed the tube through the small hump intended for it but instead squashed it flat. Once the offending parts had been unscrewed and the tube moved to its correct position in the hump the problem was solved. No I won’t be going back to that guy.
    Very interesting.. its just recently been in to have a sensor replaced (cant remember where) and the hood proofed. Though the latter shouldnt have made an impact. 

I traced the initial filler pipe by eye down to the wheel arch where a bigger reservoir exists but quickly gets obscured and is unreachable off a ramp with bits in situ... 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397

Can you hear the pump when someone activates the switch and you put your head under the bonnet ? if not get a meter a check for 12V on the pump connector when the switch is activated. If the 12V is there but the pump doesn't spin then you need a pump or the switch is fucked ... in that case check for volts on the switch and check the switch is closed circuit when activated 
    If the pump spins but there's no action through the pipes then you might find a leaf has got into the bottle and is blocking the exit cos the pump sucks the leaf against it. Happened on my Transit, had to take the whole washer bottle out of the lower front.

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Got there and the car was already in with Volkswagen.. lol. 

Tbh I wouldnt have been able to do much, but I suspected the pump as I couldnt hear a peep with my head right up under the hood, and the washer stalk being pulled. 

Anyway, VW came back and said that the 'software in the stalks/column needed an update'... wtf. But ok. Is that for real?

+ the pump was FUBAR too.  

Maybe the pump going caused the 'software' to fuck up.. No idea, can't be a coincidence that 2 related aspects both went though. 

Unless the garage wasn't truthful about this software error.. can't say I know much about it though. 

I remember once though my mate had an Audi A3, and we went to a place that could hook it up to their computer and adjust things. 

Can't even remember what my mate wanted done, but pretty sure it was something to do with a HID kit he had installed. 

Anyway, 5 minutes into the drive home and we notice that pulling the handbrake caused his headlights to come on or something to that stupid effect. 

So we went back and the bloke was like 'oh must've put the wrong code on' and 5 mins later he'd uploaded the correct wizardry to the car.. 

Was crazy. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom