Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Smart TV's

What's Hot

Comments

• Right, TV removed from VM package bringing it down to £49 per month. They even upgraded our broadband to 100mb!

So a month to sort out what they'll be doing for TV....

I think our best option is a new box thing with a plug in and play type set up approach
    £49 pm and you are only getting 100mb... did you not haggle?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Right, TV removed from VM package bringing it down to £49 per month. They even upgraded our broadband to 100mb!

I think our best option is a new box thing with a plug in and play type set up approach
    Includes phone line as well lol
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Right, TV removed from VM package bringing it down to £49 per month. They even upgraded our broadband to 100mb!

Go and speak to Zen.
    You'll get a much faster connection in real terms for about that price.

We get virgin 100mbs, TV (but no extra packages) and a phone line with free weekend calls for £30 per month. New customer perk, though. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    octatonic said:
    We have an Apple TV attached to a TV here in Geneva and it is all we watch.

The problem with Smart TV's as they can end support for certain technologies or don't gain new ones.
    Plugging a 'smart box' into any display with a HDMI connection is the way to solve this problem IMHO.
    I agree with this, with HDMI out on most media delivery boxes that's all you need but a 50" 4K TV is a lot cheaper than a 50" 4K monitor, why is that?

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
     Victim of Amazon Prime obsolescence here.  Amazon have informed me that my Smart TV will stop working with Amazon Prime next month (and helpfully offered me an Amazon Fire Stick to buy).

Well fuck that and fuck them - I'll be getting a new 4K smart telly from John Lewis !  ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback

I pay Virgin £58 pm and this is for contact duration not a 6 months then up to obscence amount for duration, just a flat out £58pm.

phone line (don't use this but makes package cheap)

200mb bband, speed tests are always above 210mb

Full House (now called Maxit) TV, thats the one that includes BT sport (inc 4k) and the Sky channels in HD
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Roku

Thread over

yep - this.  has Now TV, Amazon prime, Netflix, plus BBC Iplayer and the other freeview  offerings.   

We get virgin 100mbs, TV (but no extra packages) and a phone line with free weekend calls for £30 per month. New customer perk, though. 
    Fair enough lol

I pay Virgin £58 pm and this is for contact duration not a 6 months then up to obscence amount for duration, just a flat out £58pm.

phone line (don't use this but makes package cheap)

200mb bband, speed tests are always above 210mb

Full House (now called Maxit) TV, thats the one that includes BT sport (inc 4k) and the Sky channels in HD
    Should I have just said we wish to change our entire package as opposed to just removing TV?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414

Virgin have bought their TV prices down.  We turned off the large TV package (whatever its name is this week) for a while, and they phoned me and offered it back (including BT Sports) for £5 per month extra.

I suspect that a lot of people have been turning it off and using Netflix and/or Amazon Prime, so they have had to respond to market forces.

They also gave me a SIM card with unlimited calls and texts, plus 2GB of data, as part of the deal.

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    edited August 2019
    Do we need a new antenna installed if we want Freeview?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    Do we need a new antenna installed if we can Freeview?
    Depends upon where you live / how old your existing aerial is (more specifically whether it is optimised for the frequency band used by Freeview (DTT) in your area. Easiest way is to simply test it - plug the TV or Box in and initiate the auto tune / channel scanning process to see what happens.
  • I think our aerial on the roof is an old one, so we'd need a new one I would assume.

Tried using the box to access it but no such luck.
  • My parents have a small android box and just watch catch up , no license no monthly outlay . 
  • Just called someone out to take a look, we actually didn't have an aerial as when we had a loft extension done they took the old one off.

Work's been booked in to install a new one at the front of the house to provide signal to two TV's. (One in front room one in the loft).
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    My parents have a small android box and just watch catch up , no license no monthly outlay . 
    You need a licence to watch I player now. 
  • boogieman said:
    My parents have a small android box and just watch catch up , no license no monthly outlay . 
    You need a licence to watch I player now. 
    Yes you didn’t used to but you have for a couple of years now. Fortunately they just watch catchup on itv 4 and 5  stuff like emmerdale Coro and 4 in a bed lol. I barely Watch anything but if I do watch old series like knight rider , or the odd episode of the goldbergs
  • Right, aerial installed and Freeview working. 

Will probably want to get the Amazon Firestick thing now to get Now TV and other stuff?
    Is the internet connection Wi-Fi based?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    Amazon Stick is WiFi based and will probably require a smartphone or laptop to handle the initial network connection / registration.