fancy a change from Les Pauls. But I don’t know what to try ,

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I’m a long time les Paul player but I fancy a change. 
But, I’ve got very limited experience of other guitars. 

I toured with an esp/ltd modded strat a few years ago , and while it was quite a change , I did grow to enjoy how light and easy to play it was .it was a cheaper model with no locking trem  that was upgraded with emg’s .  I bought a neck through one with a locking trem when I got back, but I found the locking trem too fiddly yo mainyain , hard to use and not robust enough so I sold it . 

I’m mostly into 70’s and 80’s heavy metal and punk so a lot of those guys were using les Paul’s and hot rodded Strats.

anyone got any idea what type of thing would be worth me having a look at ?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    I can recommend the PRS Vela or their S2 satin standards. Really great guitars. The Vela does have its own voice going on with its pickups and bridge and the Satin Standards are very SG like but use the coil tap and they get fendery. 
    Of course you could just try an SG. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a PRS Custom 24 and it's a beautiful guitar. Probably my number one now, actually, and I've always favoured Les Paul's. I have an R8 and a CS Strat but its the PRS that's always out of the case being played.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Sounds like an SG would fit the bill. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Harley Benton?
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    A Junior. Single p90 pickup,single or doublecut. Lighter and angrier than a standard. Different feel and sound. The perfect punk/rock tool! Especially the doublecut.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I bought a Fender Mustang with P90s a couple of months ago. At first I thought it would be a bit of fun but it it a really good, versitile guitar with some great tones. 

Might be worth a look? 
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    These so many wonderful guitars out there. 
    I think a lot changed in the guitar world from the 70's (Les Pauls) to the 80's(super strats). 
    I'd try out as many different things as I could if I were you.  There's so many great super strats out there and in fact the modern equivalents of the 80's stuff are fantastic, depending on the money you have check out Suhr at the top end or Charvel lower down or LTD and Ibanez never fail to be amazing for the money.  PRS do wonderful things too with a sort of halfway between everything.
    Personally, once I'd worked out what it was I liked and what it was I was using it for I'd have something special built.  A one off exactly what I needed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Travis Bean.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So you do much playing sat down? I'll hazard a guess from your original post that you're a humbucker kinda guy, so how about a Flying V? Tonally not a million miles away from an LP but way more interesting to look at. Arguably more playable too, as long as you're stood up! 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    I'd recommend something like a special 2 p90's or mojotron and staple pickup in a sc guitar, that type of thing

There's alot of choice or maybe get something made if going high end 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited August 2019
    SG. After a long old time I've finally got used to mine and really love it now, so glad I didn't trade or sell it a while ago. So comfy it makes a strat feel cumbersome. Each time I try a LP again I love the tone but nothing else about it, SG is just more fun to play. I'd still like a slab body Jr though, think that would be a good option for you if you like P90s.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    What you want is an ES-235  ;)
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Another vote for an LP junior or special ;)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960

I’m mostly into 70’s and 80’s heavy metal and punk so a lot of those guys were using les Paul’s and hot rodded Strats.

anyone got any idea what type of thing would be worth me having a look at ?!
    Charvel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Explorer? Despite appearances, it’s one of the most comfortable guitars to play, and would fit your musical styles well.
  • I agree with suggestions of SG, Special, Junior
  • mustang with a super distortion in the bridge, pure punk rock / 80s rock
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Wow, what a fantastic response, thanks guys!!!

So far my favourite suggestions are -

Charvel - Rocktastic, and probably an easy way to get in the right ballpark and they look solid and workmanlike.
    Flying V - Used to have an epi one years ago, might be worth a try!! 
    Les Paul Jr - Always liked em, not sure how good it'll be for turbonegro/motorhead type stuff though.

But it's all good, keep em coming!!!

• GadgieGadgie Frets: 96
    If you can find one...try a Robin Artisan. One of the nicest guitars I've play. Or a Melody maker with the P90, for 2003 circa