Comments

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Join the hunt for a DGT........guaranteed no regrets, except for £'s

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31584
    Maynehead said:
    Explorer? Despite appearances, it’s one of the most comfortable guitars to play, and would fit your musical styles well.
    As a confirmed Les Paul guy I totally agree with this. 

I've been through half a dozen guitars as gig backups for my Les Paul, the Explorer is the only one which sometimes does the second set just because I feel like it. All my other backups just sat on a stand I case I broke a string. 
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    p90fool said:
    Maynehead said:
    Explorer? Despite appearances, it’s one of the most comfortable guitars to play, and would fit your musical styles well.
    As a confirmed Les Paul guy I totally agree with this. 

I've been through half a dozen guitars as gig backups for my Les Paul, the Explorer is the only one which sometimes does the second set just because I feel like it. All my other backups just sat on a stand I case I broke a string. 
    I have a friend who has one , maybe o can borrow it and give it a try !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    octatonic said:
    Travis Bean.
    Do you, did you ever, have one?

Music Zoo have one at the mo, about £6k+ after tax and duty etc.

There are only so many. Very collectable now.

I had a good long go on a 1500 some years ago, always remembered it - lovely to play but very heavy, completely flat board and chunky ali neck.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    I had an epi explorer, surprisingly comfortable
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    jdgm said:
    octatonic said:
    Travis Bean.

I had a good long go on a 1500 some years ago, always remembered it - lovely to play but very heavy, completely flat board and chunky ali neck.
    I've only ever played one, but since then I have never understood why they're worth anything like those prices. Horrible to play and mediocre sounding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10370
    tFB Trader
    Explorer or Flying V ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Tele?
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Jazzmaster....yup!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Wow, what a fantastic response, thanks guys!!!

Les Paul Jr - Always liked em, not sure how good it'll be for turbonegro/motorhead type stuff though.

But it's all good, keep em coming!!!

I just made a dc junior for a guy in a stoner rock band played in c sharp, they sound bloody huge imo, probably better than a humbucker, it's also replacing a real 61 

I use a dc myself and love the tone of mojo p90's 

dog ears were made for rock 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4093
    I have a charvel san dimas and an SG. Both feel,  play and sound awesome with super fast necks and easy upper fret access.   

Was thinking of an  ESP E-II Horizon-III though at one point.  Looks awesome. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10370
    tFB Trader
    P90s are the quintessential rock pickup in my book: able to produce a ridiculous amount of filth and still keep 'tone'. One of my dream guitars that I shall get around to having built for me at some point will be a Flying V in plain mahogany, with a single dog ear P90. Kinda the V Junior they could have made but never did ... ultimate rock machine.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    ICBM said:
    jdgm said:
    octatonic said:
    Travis Bean.

I've only ever played one, but since then I have never understood why they're worth anything like those prices. Horrible to play and mediocre sounding.
    I wonder if the value is in part down to the Yannis effect - the guy from Foals.

He uses them almost exclusively and as a band they are getting pretty big...

The next album (second this year) could be the one that really puts them up there as one of the best acts around at the moment. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    ICBM said:
    I’m mostly into 70’s and 80’s heavy metal ... hot rodded Strats.

anyone got any idea what type of thing would be worth me having a look at ?!
    Charvel.
    Specifically, the "Model" series.

The stock J90C and J100 pickups are a matter of taste.  The S-sized pickup replacement options are restricted by the routed cavity dimensions. These will not accept single coils with the regular bottom bobbin plate extension where the output conductors are soldered on.

The JT-6 double locking vibrato can prove problematic. Its shortcomings are surmountable - especially now that Feline may be offering replacement sustain blocks machined from steel rather than cheese.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3587
    Someone said it and no one said no, so Telecaster!

• Another vote for Charvel! So Cal would be my preferred option but they're all good.  
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7416

anyone got any idea what type of thing would be worth me having a look at ?!
    I recommend taking a long hard look in the mirror and dispensing with this foolish notion :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited August 2019
    P90s are the quintessential rock pickup in my book: able to produce a ridiculous amount of filth and still keep 'tone'.
    That's why I like em. The only reason I don't have a bridge one at the minute is because I feel like humbuckers are more versatile for the tighter/heavier stuff. But the neck P90 has much more character and depth to the tone, it's a bit like the proverbial "lifting the blanket off the speaker" but with dynamics opening up and things coming alive. Once I have a 2nd guitar I wouldn't mind trying one of your Critical Mass 90s in my SG!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Our Feline gothic model is somewhat chunkier than a typical Sg and suffers none of the balance issues and has a beefier sound too - somewhere between an SG and LP to my ears

We have two up for grabs (and we made one in the past for @ThorpyFX )

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Our Feline gothic model is somewhat chunkier than a typical Sg and suffers none of the balance issues and has a beefier sound too - somewhere between an SG and LP to my ears

That mahogany one is ace.

Previously known as stevebrum