Electric company charging the deceased?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I have been sorting out all of dad's bills since his passing and have just had a call from SSE stating they are sending out a final bill for the deceased, is that really enforceable? I was under the impression these kind of bills end when someone passes, can they really do that and where do I stand with regards to having to pay them? Any advice you can give would be much appreciated, thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited August 2019
    Sorry for your loss.

Bills don't just vanish when someone dies- they have to be paid out by the estate as part of the Probate process.
    If the account was in credit then the amount would be part of the estate's assets.

Don't forget to account for bills when working out inheritance tax.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    octatonic said:
    Sorry for your loss.

Bills don't just vanish when someone dies- they have to be paid out by the estate as part of the Probate process.
    If the account was in credit then the amount would be part of the estate's assets.

Yep. Was probate granted and are you the beneficiary of the will?
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Sorry for your loss.
      Glad you got your housing issues under control.
     If your dad died in debt or without tangible assets you are not liable for his debts/ bills-except on a goodwill basis.
    When logic and proportion
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    octatonic said:
    Sorry for your loss.

I'm afraid there was no will, after paying the council tax bill there will be nothing left of dad's estate.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    zepp76 said:
    octatonic said:
    Sorry for your loss.

I'm afraid there was no will, after paying the council tax bill there will be nothing left of dad's estate.
    In that case there is nothing to recover, provided you (or another person) are not named on the debt (such as a joint loan).
    I would contact the company as a courtesy and tell then what has happened.
    Sometimes they will use subtle (or not so subtle) pressure to get you to pay.
    Simply refuse- they will write it off.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    zepp76 said:
    octatonic said:
    Sorry for your loss.

So then he was renting? They should bill to the date he passed away. If you let them know there is nothing from the estate they will either write off or pursue, but they will get nowhere if no probate (usually for estates involving property) exists to determine assets/beneficiary. PM me if you need any more advice. 

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Did your dad live alone.  Utility companies can recover from others that live in the same property under beneficial user rules.  If he lived alone then a letter back stating no estate as above will end it.

• Also not nice for you but you might have to send a copy of death certificate to prove it.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    zepp76 said:
    octatonic said:
    Sorry for your loss.

So then he was renting? They should bill to the date he passed away. If you let them know there is nothing from the estate they will either write off or pursue, but they will get nowhere if no probate (usually for estates involving property) exists to determine assets/beneficiary. PM me if you need any more advice. 

If there’s no money left in your father’s estate and no joint responsibilities, then utility and credit card companies etc can go whistle. They have no claim on anyone else’s money. Don’t offer anything either, as Strum says, just send them copies of the death certificate.   
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you to you all for your help and advice. They are sending out a letter detailing what is owed and by who, I have a feeling I'll be lumped with the debt as I lived with my dad as his sole carer.thumpingrug said:
    Did your dad live alone.  Utility companies can recover from others that live in the same property under beneficial user rules.  If he lived alone then a letter back stating no estate as above will end it.
    This is what I was worried about, in all honesty all this worrying is starting to make me feel unwell again and that's a bad sign with regards to my mental health. I guess I just have to take it on the chin and do the best I can but if I don't have the money to cover dad's debts then what else can I do? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Might be worth getting some advice from someone like CAB.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    Might be worth getting some advice from someone like CAB.
    This.

If you are liable for some of the bill, don’t panic and get yourself into a state. Get some advice from CA and see what options are open to you. You’ll probably also find they would take a small monthly payment to clear any debt: they’d rather take something rather than nothing. 
  • Sorry for your loss.

Can I suggest you get advice on bills. For instance,I know a TV Licence is not transferable, so on his passing you will have no licence unless you have sorted it. I'm not sure which other ones may be the same, but suspect contents insurance, vehicle tax, amongst others may be the same.

My father died over thirty years ago and I just paid what was due and transferred all bills to my name. Luckily I was working. I had several photocopies made of his death certificate and sent one to each company at the same time, and anything else that appeared afterwards (ie dental appointment two years later).
    Sorry for your loss.

Can I suggest you get advice on bills. For instance,I know a TV Licence is not transferable, so on his passing you will have no licence unless you have sorted it. I'm not sure which other ones may be the same, but suspect contents insurance, vehicle tax, amongst others may be the same.

My father died over thirty years ago and I just paid what was due and transferred all bills to my name. Luckily I was working. I had several photocopies made of his death certificate and sent one to each company at the same time, and anything else that appeared afterwards (ie dental appointment two years later).
    Nowadays a lot of companies won't accept a photocopy and will insist on the original or a certified copy of the death certificate. Obviously it's a bit risky sending the original so its worth ordering at least one copy.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15926
    Image result for frankenstein getting charged
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    seems fair enough - the Government does...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Sorry for your loss.

Nowadays a lot of companies won't accept a photocopy and will insist on the original or a certified copy of the death certificate. Obviously it's a bit risky sending the original so its worth ordering at least one copy.
    I had 6 certified copies issues when Mum died.
    I used 2 of them.