Ash's top six of hidden gem pickups.

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10347
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Mini Humbuckers sound amazing in the right setting - almost acoustic levels of detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5qUa1ZRY4g

I'm also a massive fan of the original Shergold pickups (made by ReAn). Unusual construction (I'm sure Ash can give chapter and verse about it - he rebuilt one of mine for me) gives a very distinctive sound - especially if you fit 500k pots instead of the factory fit 100k ones.

I also rather like the original Kent Armstrong PAF+ he used to hand make when based in Ashford (not the Sky or "Designed by" Far Eastern ones). Quite bright, very pokey but with a great snarl. Hard to find now...
    The Original Shergold pickup is a brilliant bit of British innovative design. Unable to get the sort of parts used in US pickups the over engineered a real classic out of whatever was to hand. They run on the same huge alnico magnet principal as Filtertrons ... and as @impmann says, with 500k pots they sound great.

I had an early Manson with Kent's pickups ... they were awesome..
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to make a pickup like a Shergold? I assume the fact that it's a completely non-standard size would push the price up so it would be cheaper to buy an actual Shergold, but you never know.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to make a pickup like a Shergold? I assume the fact that it's a completely non-standard size would push the price up so it would be cheaper to buy an actual Shergold, but you never know.
    TBH, original ReAn pickups are totally made of unobtainium... so the price of NoS ones or even good used ones is quite high.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

That's a shame - I have a 70s Shergold double neck that I love the sound of (like the chap said, completely distinctive), but it's quite impractical to play and store. It also needs a a lot of restoration. 
    tFB Trader
    If I were to make a replica it would be pricey ... the covers would have to be vacuum formed etc and all the internal components made virtually from scratch. However copying the principal ... big alnico magnet, a very specific winding level and pattern ... could easily be done if there were a market.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    That's a shame - I have a 70s Shergold double neck that I love the sound of (like the chap said, completely distinctive), but it's quite impractical to play and store. It also needs a a lot of restoration. 
    There is a guy near Glastonbury who has made exact replicas of the ReAn pickups in the past but I'm not sure if he's doing anything like that any more... his website:

http://www.grubersaberhagen.co.uk/
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Thanks! It's been something I've vaguely wondered about for a very long time. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    Great thread! I've got to agree on Firebird pickups. I'm soon to put some in a partscaster. Amazing pickups. Not the ones that Gibbo put on their modern Firebirds though!
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    Great thread! I've got to agree on Firebird pickups. I'm soon to put some in a partscaster. Amazing pickups. Not the ones that Gibbo put on their modern Firebirds though!
    Thanks mate ... no the modern Firebird pickups are nothing like the originals in sound ... they have tried to make them high output and sorta lost the plot!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    Lebarque said:
    Thanks mate ... no the modern Firebird pickups are nothing like the originals in sound ... they have tried to make them high output and sorta lost the plot!
    Yeah, what makes a Firebird what it is is that it's lowish output with 42AWG wire, not a million miles from some Fender style pickups. 

Ash have you ever tried using different alnicos for Firebirds?  I came across A4 Firebirds that sounded good, but different to most FB's I've come across. 
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    Yeah, what makes a Firebird what it is is that it's lowish output with 42AWG wire, not a million miles from some Fender style pickups. 

Ash have you ever tried using different alnicos for Firebirds?  I came across A4 Firebirds that sounded good, but different to most FB's I've come across. 
    I use alnico 2,3,4 and 5 in firebird pickups depending on the sound the customer wants ... A3 sounds very interesting too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3070
    Great thread. Do you have a favourite Duncan pickup Ash? I know the JB has gone through some changes over the years and I think the Custom Custom is a bit underrated.

I've only had modern DiMarzios so haven't tried the classics.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited August 2019 tFB Trader
    Love the Custom Custom, and the pre-changes JB. My pet hate is the 'new' JB and the Pearly Gates: the former for sounding like an adenoidal weasel with it's bollocks in a vice ... the latter for being the modern humbucker I most regularly have to rewind!

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
     I use alnico 2,3,4 and 5 in firebird pickups depending on the sound the customer wants ... A3 sounds very interesting too.
    Just as soon as I thought I was 'out', I'm almost reeled back in straight away.  :/

I'll send you a PM soon Ash. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Just as soon as I thought I was 'out', I'm almost reeled back in straight away.  :/

I'll send you a PM soon Ash. 
    I adore making Firebird pickups ... so anytime.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I've been doing a little bit of looking into the t-tops I have. Seems like at the time people often swapped them out for something more fashionable. 
    There must be loads of them stashed away in parts boxes.
    Think I definitely like pickups in the lower end of output values.
    tFB Trader
    I've been doing a little bit of looking into the t-tops I have. Seems like at the time people often swapped them out for something more fashionable. 
    T Tops can be really nice ... unfortunately that tends to be reflected in their price.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited August 2019
    T Tops can be really nice ... unfortunately that tends to be reflected in their price.

Yeah noticed some on reverb for silly prices!
    Going by them I could sell mine for more than I payed for the guitar.
  • Love the Custom Custom, and the pre-changes JB. My pet hate is the 'new' JB and the Pearly Gates: the former for sounding like an adenoidal weasel with it's bollocks in a vice ... the latter for being the modern humbucker I most regularly have to rewind!
    I've heard you say this about the JB before. It's funny because I like the modern JB and I also like the pickups you've sold me a lot. Funny that our tastes are so different on the JB but I guess similar in other areas. Anyway, I've always wondered: what's the dirty secret about the JB—what changed between the 80s and now (both in terms of spec and sound)?
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    edited August 2019 tFB Trader
    Love the Custom Custom, and the pre-changes JB. My pet hate is the 'new' JB and the Pearly Gates: the former for sounding like an adenoidal weasel with it's bollocks in a vice ... the latter for being the modern humbucker I most regularly have to rewind!
    I've heard you say this about the JB before. It's funny because I like the modern JB and I also like the pickups you've sold me a lot. Funny that our tastes are so different on the JB but I guess similar in other areas. Anyway, I've always wondered: what's the dirty secret about the JB—what changed between the 80s and now (both in terms of spec and sound)?
    Funnily enough I make a pickup called The Dirty Secret based on a pre changes JB ... they went down a wire gauge and changed the magnet the old one was closer to 14k than 17k. The old one was more open and string defined :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom