Time signatures

What's Hot
AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 918
edited August 2019 in Theory
Just thought some of you might enjoy these playlists I put together to help me/my students with unusual(ish) time signatures. My idea being that we are surrounded by 4/4 whether we like it or not, and so I've put these lists together to immerse the ears in a different time feel, hopefully breaking some deeply ingrained habits.

Or something. Either ways, there's some interesting juxtapositions when you group by time signature!

Let me know your thoughts, and any omissions! My criteria is that is basically has to be in that same time feel the whole way through, so you can have the playlist on in the background and learn by osmosis.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited August 2019
    Wow those are good lists! Please add Rachmaninov Isle of the Dead and Tchaikovsky 6th symphony 2nd movement to 5/4. And give them a listen, they’re amazing
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Will get onto it tomorrow, cheers!
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    Egg - Seven is a Jolly Good Time.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    edited August 2019
    5/4

Led Zep -- Four Sticks (if I remember right?)
    The Faces -- Fly in the Ointment

7/4

The Triffids -- Blackeyed Susan

• Cheers all.

@stuckfast - that Led Zep one has a bunch of 6/8 bars thrown in unfortunately. The Face track is great though! I've never heard it, the guitar tones on it are killer. Added that and the Triffids tune.

@blobb - sounds cool, but there's loads of different time signatures in there, and the verses are in 4/4.

@viz - That Rachmaninov is HEAVY! Moves into 3/4 for big chunks of it though, so doesn't fit the criteria I've set myself alas. Thanks for the introduction though, and I've added the Tchaikovsky.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    There are also quite a few English folk songs that are in 5/4 (as much as they are in any one time signature). Here's a recording that is fairly straightforwardly 5/4:

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Living in the past - Jethro Tull is a good 5/4 song.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3667
    edited August 2019
    I know it's now what you are looking for but in my last band everyone could select one "obscure" track to throw into our set. Our drummer choose "Happiness is a Warm Gun" from the White Album.

Of course, I'm familiar with the song but had never really listened to it. Bloody hell... it's all over the place. It sounds to me as if there are sections of 4/4, 6/4, 6/8 and possibly even 7/4. There is also a bar of 9 in there somewhere. Anyway, I knew that with a couple of rehearsals a month we'd NEVER get it right so it never made the cut.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Cheers all.

@viz - That Rachmaninov is HEAVY! Moves into 3/4 for big chunks of it though, so doesn't fit the criteria I've set myself alas. 
    It’s excellent isn’t it, and I love the fact that some bars have emphasis on 1 and 3 and others on 1 and 4, to give the effect of pulling hard on the oars. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Nice one, I've added that Martin Carthy tune @Stuckfast. And that Jethro Tull one is already on there, I didn't know it before I started looking for songs in 5, but it's cool @proggy!

Thanks for the input everyone.

viz said:

It’s excellent isn’t it, and I love the fact that some bars have emphasis on 1 and 3 and others on 1 and 4, to give the effect of pulling hard on the oars.  Totally. I need to spend more time with this music for sure.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Cheers all.

@stuckfast - that Led Zep one has a bunch of 6/8 bars thrown in unfortunately. The Face track is great though! I've never heard it, the guitar tones on it are killer. Added that and the Triffids tune.

@blobb - sounds cool, but there's loads of different time signatures in there, and the verses are in 4/4.

@viz - That Rachmaninov is HEAVY! Moves into 3/4 for big chunks of it though, so doesn't fit the criteria I've set myself alas. Thanks for the introduction though, and I've added the Tchaikovsky.
    Wasn't going to mention this as I didn't think it really mattered but as you've kind of brought it up yourself...

You've got Money in the 7/4 playlist but I'm fairly sure the guitar solo is in 4/4 (going off memory - can't listen at the moment).
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Nice one, I've added that Martin Carthy tune @Stuckfast. And that Jethro Tull one is already on there, I didn't know it before I started looking for songs in 5, but it's cool @proggy!

Thanks for the input everyone.

viz said:

It’s excellent isn’t it, and I love the fact that some bars have emphasis on 1 and 3 and others on 1 and 4, to give the effect of pulling hard on the oars. 
    Totally. I need to spend more time with this music for sure.
    Sorry @AntonHunter , I didn't notice.
  • RedRabbit said:
    Cheers all.

Wasn't going to mention this as I didn't think it really mattered but as you've kind of brought it up yourself...

You've got Money in the 7/4 playlist but I'm fairly sure the guitar solo is in 4/4 (going off memory - can't listen at the moment).
    Ah! Dammit! 

It's gone now. You're dead right, and that's laziness on my part just assuming and not checking.  :s

I wonder how much of a hypocrite I've been with the rest too :-/ 
  • westwest Frets: 996
    party in simons pants is cool the main riff is in 17/8 ..... 

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    These are hard times...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5456
    Oo nice playlists!
  • Outshined & Spoonman by Soundgarden, the verses are in 7/4 
    RedRabbit said:
    Not only the guitar solo, but also the turnaround.
    Can't view your Spotify lists so you may well already have it, but Mars from The Planets Suite (Gustav Holst) is in 5/4.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 851