Another expensive and addicitive hobby - Lego...

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
edited August 2019 in Off Topic
I am probably in the minority on here, but my Lego collection is rapidly expanding.

It all started in Florida in 2015. I was in Disney Springs and noticed the Lego Ghostbusters Ecto 1. As a child I absolutely loved Lego, and this kicked off an adult interest.

Obviously I had to buy it.

Almost 4 years later, and I've (sensibly) bought too much. A lot of it is aimed at adult collectors and I find it is extremely good for stress.

It also helps that the value of the sets after a few years jumps dramatically.

Anyone else on here close to being as nerdy as me?! hahahahaa
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    My 12 year old son is autistic and loves a) collections and b) toys so is an ardent fan of lego.  Between Ninjago, Nexo Knights, Mixels and Lego dimensions characters I would say his collections has easily cost in excess of £1,000.

he is obsessed with having everything in a collection, so has every single dimensions set made and every single Mixel (9 series so far) for instance.  Can't get him into star wars he won't have any part of it!!

He isn't into building stuff so my wife and I are like lego building machines.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I'm 38 and basically I get 2/3 of the Star Wars releases now. Not all, as some I am not keen on.

Then there is Harry Potter. Then we have the Lego space sets. Heck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    Every Christmas my wife and I buy ourselves one of the Lego Expert sets that all join together to form a large street of buildings. 
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    my lad has tons of it. He has  a Ninjago set unopened with 1000 plus pieces. The last one i put together was the star wars x wing. I took it into work and did it on my lunch break (behind closed doors). My son never follows the instructions, just opens them ,takes out the figures to play with and the pieces go in a big tub. At first i was manic keeping boxes and instruction manuals but they got in the way so i binned them. The Ninjago cost me £84 alone..
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    I have the Red Five X-Wing Collectors Set, which I loved building. 

I'd love to get more, but can't really justify it currently. Can't wait for my boy to be old enough that he wants some lego and I can "buy him some sets". 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    My son loves it. He's a bit young for it but he likes watching me. I try to let him feel like he is helping. Then he plays with whatever we make. Brilliant stuff!

Until you stand on it  :o
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    Presumably the value of the set in collector terms in future is adversely affected by actually building it?

Some of the more advanced sets look great. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11807
    I have more unbuilt Lego than I have built sets.

i really want the falcon but the size is prohibitive, I have the x wing UCS unopened, Porsche GT4 unopened and a few big technics.

love Lego, expensive but actually you can make money if you get the right ones.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 448
    Has it always been this expensive? I had loads as a kid but pretty sure my parents wouldn't have paid what the sets cost these days?!
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    MrSwanson said:
    Has it always been this expensive? I had loads as a kid but pretty sure my parents wouldn't have paid what the sets cost these days?!
    It works out about 10p per piece, new sets are now larger than ever before, in fact it’s probably cheaper than ever before.  It was £400 for the old falcon set and it was like 20 years ago. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    I loved it as a kid and went a good 29 years without buying any, but did the Technic Claas tractor at Christmas and enjoyed it a lot.

Definitely fancy an X Wing at some point, though I’m in favour of building once then selling them as I really don’t need a house full of Lego stuff - I have enough other random crap already..  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • MrSwanson said:
    i had it when i was a kid probably 5 or 6 years old (im 56 now) wasnt aware that it came in specific sets. I used to cart it around in a great big biscuit tin. use to try and buid the tallest towers before they came crashing to the gound. All i remeber in later years is buying it for my young daughters and frequently the agonising pain of standing on a piece bare footed in the middle of the night going to the loo. I always liked mechano too but wasnt really mechanically minded enough to build anything sophisticated
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

My daughter (6) got into the Legends Of Chima stuff a while ago, and I've spent quite a bit on acquiring various sets for her, most of them s/h off ebay. I do find it enjoyable building them, so there's a little bit of fun in it for me too.

Even at £20 or so a set I've spent a fair bit, and have to suffer the torture of spending a couple of hours building something for her only to see it in pieces a couple of weekends later :)

Once in a while I round everything up and rebuild it all as best I can (sometimes essential parts have been left at her mother's) before sitting back and trying to ignore the destruction.

She's also really into space, so I'm considering picking up the Saturn V model for her when I have some spare funds (it's selling for around £100 most of the time).

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    This guy is awesome building retro F1 cars that I get enthralled by

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    You need to "let go"

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Managed to buy most of our kids stuff in post Xmas sales for 70% off... We always pick up 1 or 2 big sets then. Safe bet as the age range is large. Great stuff!
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Managed to buy most of our kids stuff in post Xmas sales for 70% off... We always pick up 1 or 2 big sets then. Safe bet as the age range is large. Great stuff!
    Aye always good to watch for sales etc!! Even amazon have decent deals. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    I've got a couple of sealed UCS Red Five X-wings and a UCS Slave 1. I'd love to build them but I bought them to see how they went up in value over time.

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    Lego was my favourite toy as a kid, nearly 60 years ago now.   I remember I had a load of bricks and stuff kept in a suitcase.  Nothing as sophisticated as today's sets, just bricks, bases and windows.  Then I discovered the bricks with wheels, if you put a wheel each side they would drive each other.  This lead to moving constructions such as windmills and cars, all powered by elastic bands on the Lego wheels with the tyres removed.........very happy days.
    Mum's 85 now and still has the suitcase of Lego.  Been through grandchildren and now in use for great grandkids.
    Probably worth a fortune now !! 
    One of the few I managed to build but it just gathers dust now!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom