X18 Multiple controllers

Just come back from a first practice with the X18 and got VERY frustrated with the wifi connection to my MacBook dropping out after about 10 seconds - repeatedly.  I know lots of people recommend using an external router but I think some folks are using multiple controllers.  My plan would be as follows:  MacBook permanently on stage wired via ethernet to router which in turn is connected via ethernet to X18.  

Can I then log in via the router using an iPad to wander around and sort the FOH mix i.e. have two controllers in 'parallel' so to speak?  If for example if I went out front and tweaked Mic1 up a bit, would it be duplicated on the MacBook?  Or, do I have to split duties between the two controllers?

This device has tremendous potential but it's a steep learning curve and the built in wifi is worse than useless.  I literally had time to log in and tweak one control before the connection dropped.  I'd expect it in a busy hotel but this really was out in the sticks with two blokes playing pool at the other end of the room and no-one even looking at a phone or computer.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Yes should work fine and be a lot better than the internal WiFi.  I routinely have several iPads and a laptop connected that way. 
  • My current setup is just to run a hotspot on my phone, then have the XR18, my laptop and tablet all logged in to the hotspot. 

Easy as you like, and nobody else can interfere with it. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1143
    edited August 2019
    I have my XR18 mixer connected up to an external 5G router (password protected) which is mounted in the base of the mixer rack case. It's permanently connected via ethernet. I then connect to the router via wifi on my android tablet and control the mixer from there (The tablet is mounted on my mic stand so it's right in front of me).

All the band members connect the same way and can easily access their own monitor mixes using the appropriate app. Two of them have iphones and the other 2 have android devices. I've had no dropouts in just over a year of use. I also tend to set up a laptop and connect that to the router via ethernet cable for added security in case the wifi drops out.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    We do the same: MAC or PC hardwired and iPads via external wireless. One other tip is, once you’ve got it set up, to make the WiFi non-discoverable.

There is a lot of set-up, and it’s not always obvious because you have to hunt around for some of the functions. We spent an evening on my kitchen table sorting out where the different functions were, and how to use them. Then we hired a village hall for a full mic’ed up rehearsal. The session was recorded into Logic, after which we played it back through the PA and adjusted the EQ and desk reverb. 

Ever since its been stable, and most of us can adjust our monitor levels on the fly between songs.
    uncledick said:

Can I then log in via the router using an iPad to wander around and sort the FOH mix i.e. have two controllers in 'parallel' so to speak?  If for example if I went out front and tweaked Mic1 up a bit, would it be duplicated on the MacBook?  Or, do I have to split duties between the two controllers?
    They work collaboratively, so if our bass player changes a level using the Mac I can see him make that change on my iPad.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Generally an external router placed on top of the FOH speaker, above everyone's head made non discoverable (hide SSID) is the way to go. 
    Some X18's do have dodgy internal routers with wi fi that comes and goes.  It's a known problem and most people use external routers for this and other reasons  .... placing the unit in a rack renders the built in wireless useless for example

You always will get some issues though, the 2.5 and 5G bands are heavily congested with all kinds of devices interacting. I've mixed loads of gigs on Wifi for other people buy wouldn't buy a surface-less mixer myself

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    Thanks everyone :) 
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    FWIW I found it useful to bind the mixer's IP to the MAC address within the router.  If you don't, when you switch everything off and on again you could find that the phone or iPad didn't immediately 'see' the mixer and I had to manually change the IP because it had changed. Now working a treat.  Thanks again folks.