String Tree Installation

What's Hot
Just got a new neck (Fender American Standard Strat) and, to my surprise, it doesn't come with a hole for the string tree.

Can someone advise on how I'd go about installing it?

Would I have to drill before hand or would a screw that small just screw straight in?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You need to drill. I know it only looks like a small hole but a real chance of causing a split if you don't drill, or of shearing the head off the screw. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    You need to drill. I know it only looks like a small hole but a real chance of causing a split if you don't drill, or of shearing the head off the screw. 
    Cheers man, any tips on choosing the drill bit size?

Just eye ball it and try to find one that's thinner than the screw?

I don't actually have the string tree yet.

To decide where to put it I was thinking to string it up and try to place it as close to where it is on my existing Strat; any other advice on that?
  • A 1mm bit works for me, but you need to be careful as these are fragile (I use a hand drill). As for placement, I have to go with the classic position of parallel to the A tuner
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72211
    1.5mm or 1/16” into maple. If the hole is too small you’ll snap the screw, maple is a very hard and tough wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    1.5mm or 1/16” into maple. If the hole is too small you’ll snap the screw, maple is a very hard and tough wood.
    Would you suggest a manual turny drill or electric?
    thegummy said:

Would you suggest a manual turny drill or electric?
    I always use a manual. Make sure you mark the depth with a bit of tape on the bit as well...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader

I bin screws that come with a cheapy as well, unless it has to be gold maybe. Some of the screws that come with cheap bits are pretty poor cheese-based things.
    An Archimedes drill is nice for small slow stuff, they're dirt cheap and give lots of control, small so easy to handle etc.

• A little bit of wax/soap on the screw thread helps as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Is there any chance a Strat wouldn't even need a string tree?

What symptoms is there of the problem that string trees solve, i.e. the absence of which things would indicate that no string tree was needed?

Or will a Strat always need one?
    In my experience Fenders always need a string tree, even with staggered machinehead posts - there just isn’t enough break angle for the top strings otherwise, and they can buzz or just sound weak on the open notes.

• ICBM said:
    In my experience Fenders always need a string tree, even with staggered machinehead posts - there just isn’t enough break angle for the top strings otherwise, and they can buzz or just sound weak on the open notes.
    Plus, they look good when placed in the 'correct' position, and only when they are alone ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I use my dremel on slow speed usually
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    Gimlets are great for this kind of work, not sure why these are not more popular

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimlet_(tool)
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    thegummy said:

What symptoms is there of the problem that string trees solve, i.e. the absence of which things would indicate that no string tree was needed?

The Eric Johnson strat doesn’t have a string tree but uses staggered tuners (as per his preference). He’ll put his strats to the test I guess. I had a partcaster previously that didn’t need one (with staggered locking tuners) too. I prefer the vintage correct appearance with a tree though.
    The Eric Johnson Strat also has a deeper headstock rout so there’s slightly more break angle. Even so, a fair number of people find problems with the top strings buzzing.

• thegummy said:
    Just got a new neck (Fender American Standard Strat) and, to my surprise, it doesn't come with a hole for the string tree.

Can someone advise on how I'd go about installing it?

Would I have to drill before hand or would a screw that small just screw straight in?
    A little dremel would be best but baisically:

Line it up over your strings and in the position you would like it to be

Mark the hole with a pencil or something

Drill the hole, just be careful to not drill through the headstock. You should be fine to drill a couple mm and, if it's not quite far enough, screwing it in will be fine.

Watch this video from Fender..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND63_SHrScM

Good luck, but take it to a tech if you're uncertain about doing it!  ;)
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4691
    Stick masking tape down on the headstock first - much less chance of a drill slipping on that
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    If you don't have a drill / drill bit, a small bradawl will do the job just as good.
    Mark1960 said:
    If you don't have a drill / drill bit, a small bradawl will do the job just as good.
    No it won't. A bradawl won't remove any material so it won't create a proper pilot hole - even if you can get it in deep enough, which is very unlikely. It's not really any different from driving the screw in directly.

It's really quite easy to snap the screw off if you don't drill properly - and you really don't want to do that, it's quite tricky to get the broken bit out without damaging the headstock. Seen it done too many times...

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    TINMAN82 said:
    thegummy said:

The Eric Johnson strat doesn’t have a string tree but uses staggered tuners (as per his preference). He’ll put his strats to the test I guess. I had a partcaster previously that didn’t need one (with staggered locking tuners) too. I prefer the vintage correct appearance with a tree though.

You actually look at your headstock when playing?  Reminds me of guitarists talking about Epi LP headstock shape.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum