I know it's become a cliche...

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6685
    Jimmy Page's 14 year old girlfriend completely put me off to be honest. 
    I’m always surprised that in light of the spate of celebrity allegations, operation yew tree and clearly shifting public opinion, that there hasn’t been more focus on Page. Particularly, as his tastes are so openly in the public domain.
    I think the fact that if pics are anything to go by Page himself has transitioned into an ancient little Chinese lady nobody cares to try and unravel it. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I wouldn't want to see Led Zep to be honest. At the moment I just want to see bands / musicians who probably don't tour that much. I would love to see Damien Jurado. I'm not sure when he'll make it to the UK next though, give that he would reportedly do pretty much anything to be able to stay at home with his family more.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw them on the 15th January 1973 at Trentham Gardens, which I guess was around that era.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5012
    edited August 2019
    One of my all time favourite bands, and I went the the 1975 Earls Court gig. Maybe you had to be of that era to appreciate them properly. I don’t think much of Lonnie Donegan but apparently he was massive once... 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    soma1975 said:
    proggy said:
    My first ever gig was Led Zeppelin at Earls Court 1975.
    Meh. Mine was Transvision Vamp at Brixton Academy. 

You lucky bugger. Front row I hope!
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    edited August 2019
    Jimmy Page's 14 year old girlfriend completely put me off to be honest. 
    I’m always surprised that in light of the spate of celebrity allegations, operation yew tree and clearly shifting public opinion, that there hasn’t been more focus on Page. Particularly, as his tastes are so openly in the public domain.
    Probably a combination of several things - including the things Lori Maddox has said publicly. I wonder cynically it may be due to if Page has to fall for this then the Sainted Sir David Bowie would have to fall too. And people seem to think the sun shone out of his arse. 

Edit: Back to the actual point of the thread. I'd have loved to. I'm too young to have ever seen the band live.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    proggy said:
    soma1975 said:
    proggy said:

She did half the gig in her bra. It was the greatest moment of my life up till that point. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Saw it all back in the day sort of a happy fuzzy memory did the earth move was my life changed no.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    soma1975 said:
    proggy said:
     :) Mine too, but Manchester Apollo. 

soma1975 said:
    proggy said:
    soma1975 said:
    proggy said:

She did half the gig in her bra. It was the greatest moment of my life up till that point. 
    Did the one I was at in a little leotard. 

Couldn't keep my eyes off her thighs. Think that was the point in time that started my thigh fetish  ;)

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    The company I work for did the video screens, cameras etc for the Celebration Day show at the 02. As part of the deal they got given a fistful of tickets for the show. There was talk of an in work lottery for the tickets but bizarrely the day of the show just happened to coincide with a board meeting for the PLC/Group that owned us in London and all the senior execs went and had a lovely time at the show ....
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18717
    Last saw them at Earls Court on 24th May 1975. One of my favourite bands at the time, not one of my favourite concerts.
    Sound was pretty poor & they were mostly going through the motions IMHO.
    Fell out with diehard friends for saying this at the time, but I know I was right  ;)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    DrBob said:
    The company I work for did the video screens, cameras etc for the Celebration Day show at the 02. As part of the deal they got given a fistful of tickets for the show. There was talk of an in work lottery for the tickets but bizarrely the day of the show just happened to coincide with a board meeting for the PLC/Group that owned us in London and all the senior execs went and had a lovely time at the show ....
    I seem to remember that a criticism of that show was that due to the number of corporate tickets occupied by people who were about as rock'n'roll as Giles Brandreth the atmosphere was a little flat. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    DrBob said:
    I seem to remember that a criticism of that show was that due to the number of corporate tickets occupied by people who were about as rock'n'roll as Giles Brandreth the atmosphere was a little flat. 
    Plus it is a huge barn of a place and the sound isn't always that good (that said - Prince, Arctic Monkeys & Queen + Adam Lambert sounded great).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22772
    Knebworth was just a little too early for me, my first proper gig (Hawkwind) was right at the end of 1979.  Of course in hindsight I'd have loved to be there, although generally they don't seem to have been the greatest of live bands.

And I've never really bought into the idea that punk made such a difference.  Of course it was huge - and hugely influential - for those that liked it, but the likes of Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis as well as more mainstream acts like Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles were hardly swept aside.  They probably barely noticed unless they were reading the music press at the time.  Phil Collins may have said Genesis couldn't get arrested at the time but their biggest success - by far - was still to come.

And as for the singles and albums charts - Abba, Boney M, ELO, Meat Loaf, the Grease and Saturday Night Fever soundtracks.  I don't think any of them were losing sleep over X-Ray Spex either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Is there a better video where
    a: they play in time
    b: the guitars are in tune
    c: Percy doesn't make all those unnecessary noises?
    Otherwise, I'm gonna have to go with a firm no.
    TBH I've never got LZ. Most of my friends have dug them at some point, and I like the odd song or two, but most of the time they just set my teeth on edge.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Fuengi said:
    For me, the one gig regret I have is not going to see Peter Gabriel on his Secret World Tour in the 90s. 

So many amazing musicians at the top of their game and some superb songs with a really inventive set. 

I was at Glastonbury '94 and he was closing on (what should have been) the Pyramid stage, we left before he went on to avoid the traffic!  =)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited August 2019
    Fuengi said:
    For me, the one gig regret I have is not going to see Peter Gabriel on his Secret World Tour in the 90s. 

So many amazing musicians at the top of their game and some superb songs with a really inventive set. 

Jeremy Corbyn's let himself go...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Philly_Q said:

And I've never really bought into the idea that punk made such a difference.  Of course it was huge - and hugely influential - for those that liked it, but the likes of Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis as well as more mainstream acts like Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles were hardly swept aside.  They probably barely noticed unless they were reading the music press at the time.  Phil Collins may have said Genesis couldn't get arrested at the time but their biggest success - by far - was still to come.

And as for the singles and albums charts - Abba, Boney M, ELO, Meat Loaf, the Grease and Saturday Night Fever soundtracks.  I don't think any of them were losing sleep over X-Ray Spex either.
    I like all those too - well OK, I'd draw the line at Boney M ;) - and I quite like Zeppelin as well, on record... Plant's screeching is more understated and Page at least keeps things fairly to the point.

It's that sort of tedious overblown self-indulgent live performance that's the problem - and why punk was needed to give it a well-deserved kick in the balls. Zeppelin were far from the only culprits.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    For me the gig I most regret not attending is the NiN tension tour. That looks proper awesome.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I saw NIN support GnR at Izzy Stradlin's last gig with them at Wemblry and Rezner tried to smash his guitar but it bounced back and hit him. (i refuse to look for a youtube video in case my memory of the even is totally wrong).