PSA: John Page Classic Ashburn HSS guitars - £799 at Coda

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2331
edited August 2019 in Guitar
These strike me as a lot of seriously sorted, modern HSS Strat style guitar for this price, if you are comfortable with the looks...

https://www.coda-music.com/john-page-classic-ashburn-hss-olympic-white-maple.html

https://www.coda-music.com/john-page-classic-ashburn-hss-black-rosewood.html

https://www.coda-music.com/john-page-classic-ashburn-hss-sunbursrt-rosewood.html

Classic AJ & lefties available at £799 too.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Sweet! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    What are these like?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    I always felt a little uncomfortable when the price of these rose above £1500 but at £799 I think they are an absolute & complete bargain... as good as is possible in an MIJ guitar, and better than probably a lot of lower-end stuff out of the west, so to speak. The reviews from the various magazines are pretty fair, check 'em out, and there a lot of demos out there. John Page knows what he's doing, obviously, and there are lots of details in the construction of these (such as the reverse-slant bridge pickup on the AJ and SSS Ashburn & the threaded-bolt inserts for the neck join) that you don't normally see on any production guitars.
  • What are these like?
    Ugly.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardTRichardT Frets: 71
    All I know is John Page is a very friendly chap, bought some cheap NOS spares off him for my basket case '81 Bullet (basically his first guitar design) and he was positively chatty about his Fullerton years. I drooled briefly over the custom shop USA stuff on his website,  can't imagine the MIJ imports are anything but very well specced.
  • What are these like?
    Ugly.

Harsh!

Personally I quite like the look of the Tele-ish model with the P90 in the neck.

I'm guessing none of these have been selling well given that apparently their entire stock is being sold of at 50% reduction.

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    edited August 2019
    What are these like?
    Ugly.

Harsh!

Personally I quite like the look of the Tele-ish model with the P90 in the neck.

I'm guessing none of these have been selling well given that apparently their entire stock is being sold of at 50% reduction.

Yup the cream Tele type reminds me of a Magneto Tele I had a couple of years back . ‘Twas a gorgeous thing and a neck P90 on a Tele sounds lovely to me.

EDIT- Just seen the Greg Koch Wildwood demo of the AJ model and it of course sounds incredible 
    What are these like?
    Ugly.

Harsh!

I could be wrong but I’m not sure this is all existing stock, I think Coda has got some or all of them in on a deal. Possibly revamp due/some colours discontinued etc?
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4979
    What are these like?
    Ugly.

Harsh!

Ugly headstock and ugly signature logo, that’s for sure!

(imho)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What are these like?
    Ugly.

Harsh!

Ugly headstock and ugly signature logo, that’s for sure!

(imho)
    Looks a lot like the Variax Standard headstock to me. It’s a lot better than the Suhr headstock. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    Looks like the offer is over and they don’t have any other John Page’s in stock. I was seriously tempted the the Tele a like in desert sand and kept returning to their site to ogle it. Can’t see any there now 
    edited August 2019
    Looks like the offer is over and they don’t have any other John Page’s in stock. I was seriously tempted the the Tele a like in desert sand and kept returning to their site to ogle it. Can’t see any there now 
    I think they all went within 96 hours. Not surprised, as I said above even despite the higher-than-maybe-it-should-have-been retail price £799 was a genuine bargain for a guitar of that calibre. 
    edited October 2019
    Just noticed Coda have put a bunch more Ashburns and AJs up... £829 this time around... and one in Desert Sand... still a great deal!

Edit: £829 for AJs, £799 for Ashburns (except the Special) but the latter appear to be B-stock of varying descriptions...

• Whitecat said:
    Just noticed Coda have put a bunch more Ashburns and AJs up... £829 this time around... and one in Desert Sand... still a great deal!

Aaaargh whitecat - Just when I think I’m out..........
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice looking guitars at a huge discount.
  • Pfft.. very tempting
  • www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Tempting but I'm not sure about the 12" radius.  I quite like 7.25".  9.5" is ok but I'm not sure whether 12" would feel right on a 25.5" scale bolt on neck guitar.  Definitely wouldn't buy without trying first.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    Sorry, but these are a bit wonky donkey for me... 

I think there may have been a reason that they never sold at their full rrp.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    John Page? I thought he was more into silence, at least 4' 33" of it.