NGD - not quite identical twins (Revelation JM)

What's Hot
DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7128
edited October 2019 in Guitar
Once again this place forces me into spending money. The Revelation thread got me drooling so I got straight onto EBay and picked up the P90 equipped JM a like. Soon after the semi hollow humbucker version appeared on there and a couple of bids later and it was on its way to me.

They really are great guitars for the money, sub £200 used and other than a bit of fettling were great straight out of the box.

The chicken head tone circuit thingy is really useful and can give you a bit of a cocked wah effect as well as other useful shades.

They stay in tune well even with moderate trem use and the pickups are great - the coil split on the HB is particularly good.

If you get a chance to try one I think you’ll be impressed 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    You are metamorphosing into HarrySeven. Please stop it at once. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18746
    Once again this place forces me into spending money. The Revelation thread got me drooling so I got straight onto EBay and picked up the P90 equipped JM a like. Soon after the semi hollow humbucker version appeared on there and a couple of bids later and it was on its way to me.

They really are great guitars for the money, sub £200 used and other than a bit of fettling were great straight out of the box.

The chicken head tone circuit thingy is really useful and can give you a bit of a cocked wah effect as well as other useful shades.

They stay in tune well even with moderate trem use and the pickups are great - the coil split on the HB is particularly good.

Well howdy cousins  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7128
    Nice !  How are you finding it @Kittyfrisk ? Are they new pickups I spy ?
    edited August 2019
    You are metamorphosing into HarrySeven. Please stop it at once.
    I’m down to just 3 guitars at the mo - all cheapie offsets - H7 probably has more than that in the boot of his car.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nice !  How are you finding it @Kittyfrisk ? Are they new pickups I spy ?
    I like it :)   Got it when they were first released a few years back, couldn't resist the price & took a punt. Not disappointed  ;)
    The pickups are original to the guitar, Entwistle HV58+ & I liked the look because they were different to the rest of the range at the time.
    They didn't seem to last long with humbuckers, so it's good to see you got some too.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    They're nice but they'd look even better without block inlays.
    Sassafras said:
    They're nice but they'd look even better without block inlays.
    Maybe it’s because I once had a 1970 JM with blocks but I really like that look over the dots. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Saw Tony Mc Fee from the Groundhogs playing a Revalation Strat at a small gig a while back-

Sounded great         =)
    When logic and proportion
    Saw Tony Mc Fee from the Groundhogs playing a Revalation Strat at a small gig a while back-

Sounded great         =)
    T.S.McFee could make a perished elastic band stretched over a broom handle sound good  :)
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295

Sounded great         =)
    T.S.McFee could make a perished elastic band stretched over a broom handle sound good  :)
       Absolutely , but it would have to be at least a half decent broom handle    ;)
    When logic and proportion
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494

Tell me more about gardens of Dorset. 

Tell me more about gardens of Dorset. 
    Ha !

My Mrs always wants me to take her to various open gardens and national trust places round here . I’d rather stick pins in my eyes tbh so I bought her that book instead :-)
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    I tried a white version of the one on the right in the local shop, I was hoping it wouldn't sell and he'd have to heavily discount it to an even more ridiculous price ;) 

Still, lovely guitar. Didn't really like about 60% of the options on the chicken head knob, but pretty sure all the way left and all the way right were brilliant. And the pickups were ridiculously good for the money. Really nice playing guitar. I see one in my future. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    joetele said:
    I tried a white version of the one on the right in the local shop, I was hoping it wouldn't sell and he'd have to heavily discount it to an even more ridiculous price ;) 

Still, lovely guitar. Didn't really like about 60% of the options on the chicken head knob, but pretty sure all the way left and all the way right were brilliant. And the pickups were ridiculously good for the money. Really nice playing guitar. I see one in my future. 
    Yes I’m with you in not all the knob options are usable , funny enough I find all the way left my least favourite . I think they say it’s a jazz setting but it sounds really thin to my ears. All the way right is it disconnected and is way livelier sounding than the other settings.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    joetele said:

Yes I’m with you in not all the knob options are usable , funny enough I find all the way left my least favourite . I think they say it’s a jazz setting but it sounds really thin to my ears. All the way right is it disconnected and is way livelier sounding than the other settings.
    Aye, as you say, they're occasionally useful for something like a cocked wah sound. I like the look of their short scale Tele with the Filtertron at the neck, too....would probably put a singlecoil-sized humbucker at the bridge in that one....there's too much temptation out there! 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    edited October 2019
    Ignore me , nothing to see here. Just made the mistake of plugging it into the JC22 for a final twang and I think I need to take a cold shower and rethink.