Silent practice that doesn't sound terrible?

What's Hot

Hi all,

I have historically lived alone. This means that, in a 2-bed flat, I can at least play at a sensible volume on a regular basis, as the building where I live is fairly relaxed about that kind of thing (i.e. all the other tenants are also loud bastards) so its not been an issue.

My partner, however, is spending much more time living at my place these days, and I’d like to find a practice solution that doesn’t drive her to distraction. However dedicated you are, hearing scale practice for half an hour straight every day would, I suspect, test the bonds of a relationship over time. However, I’ve tried one of the little Amplugs, and they sound quite uninspiring – good for their size, but not something I’d like to use every day.

Ideally, I would have preferred to go Kemper/Line6 and make everything digital, thus solving the problem. Unfortunately, none of those units are accessible without working eyes – something I lack! Discount software plug-ins in a DAW for the same reason.

So suggestions for a headphone-enabled solution that doesn’t sound shite are very welcome.

Matt

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I found my Yamaha thr10 pretty decent for this. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 225
    Yup, another vote for the Yamaha THR10. Love mine  =). Sounds pretty good as a straight practice amp, and when the wifes around, I just pop the headphones on. No bigger than a shoe box and actually looks quite nice - so much so that the wife is quite happy for it to sit out on view when not in use.

Cliff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    I hate headphones, so prefer the likes of the THR10 when I can't utilise a good small valve amp - There is always some level of compromise with such an amp, so don't expect it to sound exactly the same as a good 'live rig' - But they do the job
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    You threw away the eye situation a bit, so I'm not sure how extreme it is, but assuming it's extreme:

An amp I use is a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18, which has a speaker-simulated DI out on the back - if I was in your situation I'd be able to take that and put it into a mixer with a basic room reverb on it. If one knew which switch on the back did what, it would be possible to switch between the settings by touch. 

Not say you should get one of those amps (you might hate it, and may not appreciate the lurid blue neon effect which is one of its major charms) but could you rig up something like that out of the amp you already have and other components? For example, using a Palmer The Junction DI box. 

Alternatively, see if you can borrow an Atomic Amplifire - it's the same sort of thing as a Helix, sounds great, but the amp settings are controlled via knobs on the top rather than via software (effects etc are less forgiving, I'll admit), and the footswitches can be set to move up and down the presets (it can also be used with a MIDI controller if you're tempted to go completely mad). With the coming of bigger and better equivalents, the AA3 is relatively cheap second hand at the moment.

Further to that, maybe get a JoYo version of a Tech21 amp sim pedal, for example a JF14 American for Fender clean sounds and set that up with a reverb pedal and a mini-mixer on a small pedal board. Everything's controlled on the pedal, so as long as you remember the order of the pedals and what each knob does it should be simple to tweak. Going this route means that components can be added removed or upgraded on an ad hoc basis. If you get the mini pedal versions, it wouldn't even take up much room. 

Assuming the eye situation is extreme, each of these situations would need knowledgable assistance in the setting up, but can be set up so that it's fairly painless.

Sorry about all that text if you are listening to it on a screen reader.   
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Quick cheap fix would be a Vox Amplug with headphones. I just picked the AC30 up from Rich Tone for £25, it even has built in chorus, delay and reverb.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Quick cheap fix would be a Vox Amplug with headphones. I just picked the AC30 up from Rich Tone for £25, it even has built in chorus, delay and reverb.
    But it sounds like a fuzzy angry tin of bees!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    yup Yamaha THR10 are great little practise amps 
  • nice thanks guys. Would prefer not to acquire another amp entirely as I already have a 1x12 cab for my current heads. Does the THR100 head have the headphone out also and is it as good? if so it can pull double duty.
  • Another +1 for the Yammy THR10. Great tone from such a small amp
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    This, Pocket Pod, done.  Didn't know they were still available new.  Nothing else needed for practising quietly but this and headphones. 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    clarkefan said:
    This, Pocket Pod, done.  Didn't know they were still available new.  Nothing else needed for practising quietly but this and headphones. 
    This would usually be a possible option, but the OP suggests he has a visual issue, so something with endless banks to go through might not be too helpful.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Line 6 Amplifi TT. Has basic presets that don't require much looking at (just a turn of a large knob) or can control it through phone for any sound you want. 

No display, just a few switches. Can be used with headphones or plugged into tv speakers etc. 

Most importantly, Mrs L either hasn't taken offence to the relatively small box in the front room yet..
  • I'd agree with the THR10, but if you wanted to spend a little less money, then a THR5 will do pretty much everything the 10 does, just quieter and without the ability to save presets (although you can do that on a connected computer, if you wish)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    @rossyamaha can tell you about the THR100 although as I understand it it's quite a different beast.

I think Dan from That Pedal Show uses a THR10 for home practice which always strikes me as quite a high recommendation ( as he has access to a small fortune in high end gear). 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • i use a zoom g3 ( can be picked up used for £50/60.    great for headphone practise, has hundreds of effects, can create patches, has looper, drum machine,
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I use the Blackstar Fly .Its rather good for  practicing  the  bluesy stuff I play at jams through a much bigger Blackstar.I did have a THR but sold it to help get a  DV mark Little jazz as I play a little jazz now and again .The THR is fine.Very versatile and great reverb .
  • drdavedrdave Frets: 13
    Play unplugged. Guitars can sound sweet even without tapping into the pickups, especially if you're just practicising scales. Sometimes amps and pedals can conceal flaws in my playing, and I know if I can play it well unplugged it sounds even better plugged in.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    edited August 2019
    Vox amp lug 2 is pretty good. I got the clean one and I like it. I think being so small and battery powered is a real plus compared to things that need to be plugged in.

Using an iPhone also can be a good choice (AmpliTube etc). Sound wise I think it is actually much better but there is a perceptible latency I think .. not much though.

for non headphone practice .. THR is nice and I imagine similar other products are too. 
  • Original Zoom G3. Very nice headphone output. Looper. Drum patterns. Great for silent practice.