String guage advice for Ltd ec1000

What's Hot
What's the largest string guage I can use which will still fit through the holes without modding?
I'm playing some stoner/doom so need to drop tune to c. Would 12's with 54 on the bottom be alright? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4171
    edited August 2019
    That should be fine. I used to use 11s on mine, tuned to drop C and I found that string tension etc was fine
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    11-54 is fine for me but I prefer a slinkier feel. 12-56 might be better if you want it tighter.
  • Thanks guys. I have used 11's before years back for c# tuning but want "beefier" tone.
    I usually have 10s and standard tuning so this is going to feel weird along with a new set up of the guitar
  • Are we talking C standard or drop C?

I played in drop c for an old band using 12-56's and still felt the strings were a bit too flappy, I must hit hard!!
  • Drop c with the other strings in d standard 
  • Lowest for the thickest string I'd use would be a 54 (Beefy Slinky gauge). Could probably get away with using the skinny top heavy bottom set if you don't hit hard, which is 10-52's.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Isn't the question more if the nut slots will take the thicker gauge strings without the need for widening?
  • Maynehead said:
    Isn't the question more if the nut slots will take the thicker gauge strings without the need for widening?
    It can also depend on the tuners.  I've got a locking set of Grover Rotomatics that can only take up to a .059.  I replaced the low tuner with a non locking version as I use 12-70 on my Les Paul for Drop B.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Maynehead said:
    That's very true. From what I can tell online 56 will fit. I have files to widen the nut if needed but don't want to change the tuners