Pickup for Seagull S6. Sound hole?

What's Hot
Hi all. Recently picked up a Seagull S6 and looking to get a pickup installed in time. I´m not sure what the recommendations would be here.
I´d most likely use some reverb and delay with the guitar if that makes a difference. I was thinking of one of the soundhole style pickups. If so, any recommendations on the type to go for?
I´d go from a mixture of strumming to picking usually...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I mainly pick blues stuff and the DeArmond tone boss is great. Can’t find or afford an original 50s one.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What about passive v active ? Should this play a part at all?
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I got an LR Baggs M1A about 10 years ago and it works well enough. If I were to look for a pickup solution now, I'd get one which blends a condenser mic to get a better, more natural sound. e.g. the LR Baggs Anthem/Anthem SL.

What about passive v active ? Should this play a part at all?
    This is less important to me. There are good sounding active and good sounding passive pickups.. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    If you want to go direct to a PA or use non-buffered FX pedals then active is better - it will drive a longer cable, a 1/4" line input, multiple pedals or a passive DI box with no loss of tone. If you're using an active DI box or buffered pedals then passive is fine, and can sound more 'natural' with some effects (particularly overdrive).

I would also look at a K&K internal contact pickup if you're looking for the most natural sound with minimum fitting hassle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Oooo, I forgot about the DI. I would have always used a DI in the past. Guitar , pedals, DI, PA. Just a bog standard Thomann style DI box, which always did the trick.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Buy a K&K Pure Mini ..
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • K&K, just zero hassle and sounds great.
  • I saw Feist last night and she had a sound hole pickup. Sounded great. Though I would take into account she was playing a Martin and going through a Vox with a slight bit of over drive 
  • Are there any soundhole pickups that can be bought without the long cable? Not talking high end. Most I see seem to all have the cables.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4698

May be too expensive but the Seymour Duncan Mag Mic always seems to sound good in clips.  It's a soundhole magnetic pickup with a mic.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    edited October 2019
    Are there any soundhole pickups that can be bought without the long cable? Not talking high end. Most I see seem to all have the cables.
    Some like the Baggs M1 have a detachable cable, but it's a bit fiddly to get at when the pickup is in the soundhole. The normal idea is that the pickup comes with a long cable for temporary installation, and if you fit it permanently you cut it short or just bunch it up and secure it to the endpin jack.

Edit - Baggs! Darn spellchecker...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Are there any soundhole pickups that can be bought without the long cable? Not talking high end. Most I see seem to all have the cables.
    Some like the Bass M1 have a detachable cable, but it's a bit fiddly to get at when the pickup is in the soundhole. The normal idea is that the pickup comes with a long cable for temporary installation, and if you fit it permanently you cut it short or just bunch it up and secure it to the endpin jack.
    I suppose that's an option. Decisions decisions...
  • I saw the DeArmond Tone Boss, which I think will suit me just fine, as I'll be using effects through this acoustic, so don't mind too much that it won't totally sound like an acoustic.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    https://www.chickenbonejohn.com/search?type=product&q=Pickup+

The Bill Lawrence stuff is good for that kinda thing. Cheaper than the tone boss too
    i have the A-300. Its great. There’s a humbucker as well