NCD - but for you lot, not me

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
Look what just showed up...

The awesome folks at @BarefacedAudio have kindly donated one of their new Reformer 112 cabs (and a cover) for us to raffle off! I haven't plugged it in yet, but my first impressions are...

1 - It's very well-put-together. Feels solid. In fact, far more solid than it has any right to be, because...
2 - It honestly feels like it's made mostly of air. I thought my Matrix NL212 was light, but this is ridiculous.

We're going to shoot a demo video at some time in the next few weeks (as soon as Drew and I can get our schedules to match up), and then there's going to be a mega-raffle, because @guitars4you has very generously donated a bunch of stuff for raffle as well - the Ernie Ball expression/delay pedal that came out a while back (which we're also working on a demo for), some posh electric and acoustic strings etc.

On a personal note, if this cab even turns out half as good as Rob's demo video makes it out to be, I'll almost certainly be buying one.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Excellent! Seriously impressed with my Emi loaded cabs... look forward to your impression of this variant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool! Can't wait for the raffle :) 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7762
    Wow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Superb!, and thanks to all that donated!...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6768
    Looking forward to this- the Chapman video review of it is impressive.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    mrkb said:
    Looking forward to this- the Chapman video review of it is impressive.
    Absolutely. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, but if it's got the low-end I'm hoping for to go with the dispersion and definition, then....well, you get the picture.

Can't help wondering what one of these with a G12K-100 would be like for modern heavy rock sounds. Awesome, I'm guessing ;)
    <space for hire>
  • Yep, we're trying to get a plan together for a video on this. Watch this space.

Bye!

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    I need me some tickets theh look ace
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    How many does it way?
    sgosden said:
    How many does it way?
    The spec says 10kg, but it feels lighter than that to me. My Matrix is 12-13kg, and this feels waaaay less than that.
    <space for hire>
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6680
    Looks amazing. Gorgeous in the Racing Green too. Just a little too narrow to fit my Marshall SV20h though sadly. 

Still up for a raffle though!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Tried it at rehearsal last night - four-piece heavy rock thing, you know the deal.

Let's get this out of the way at the start: I've always regarded 1x12" cabs as useless for my purposes. They (generally) don't have the low-end grunt or the volume to be able to cope with heavy rock stuff at gig levels. Suffice to say that...this is the only 1x12" I've ever encountered that I could usefully gig with.

I had to adjust the EQ on the Powerstage 170 a fair bit - boost the bass and treble and scoop out the mids slightly - to get "my" sound (ie the sound I aim for from the Matrix NL212), I also had to run the amp slightly hotter than normal, although I'm not sure whether I can draw any conclusions from that because I don't know how efficient the speakers in the Matrix cab are (I believe they're custom neo drivers).

I still didn't quite get the "boom" that the Matrix delivers, but I have a strong suspicion that's the V30's idiosynrasies at play (and I'm not really a fan of the V30 sound in a live context). I really want to try one with something more modern-sounding in it, like a G12K-100. However, it definitely coped with the volume levels and the band as a whole sounded just like we normally do, so...

I'd call that a massive win. It's by far the best, most practical 1x12" and most usable I've come across, and I'd happily gig it. I'm almost at the point of working out how to get the cash together to buy one :)
    <space for hire>
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Thanks for the info!
    I really want to try one of these or the new vertical 2x12's with my SC20H, but there just isn;t enough info out there yet!!
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2239
    Thanks for the info!
    I really want to try to ....
    .... win one in a raffle. =)

When is it going to be up for grabs? I've got my hard-earned ready.

Adey said:
    Thanks for the info!
    I really want to try to ....
    .... win one in a raffle. =)

When is it going to be up for grabs? I've got my hard-earned ready.

As soon as we've done the video. Just need my schedule to line up with Drew's. Oh, and find somewhere we can get all our amps to.
    <space for hire>
    Have I missed this accidentally? :/ :#
  • Adey said:
    Have I missed this accidentally? :/ :#
    No, we're both just super snowed under right now. We're figuring out video plans as we go but it's taking longer than we'd like. We've got a bunch of ideas though.

Bye!

Phew!
  • Adey said:
    Phew!
    Don't worry, once we get our arses in gear, you'll see it all plastered all over the site no doubt!

Bye!