A guitar I've not seen faked before

What's Hot

Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Should have a retaining bar and vintage in line tuners.  Looks odd enough that I'd steer clear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fendermadlewisfendermadlewis Frets: 647
    edited August 2019
    Absolute 100% Chinese copy. Probably bought from tradetang or one of those places! If he knows what it is and doesn't disclose it as a fake, he needs a slap. Some school kid could be easily swayed to part with his savings! 
    Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
      Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Asking price seems about right. Yes, seller shouldn't display headstock logo but nowhere does he claim in title or text that it's a Fender. Calm down, you're going to see a lot more of these in the future and not all of them will be so honestly priced or described.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    JezWynd said:
    Asking price seems about right. Yes, seller shouldn't display headstock logo but nowhere does he claim in title or text that it's a Fender.
    It's still illegal and potentially misleading to someone who doesn't know.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:
    Asking price seems about right. Yes, seller shouldn't display headstock logo but nowhere does he claim in title or text that it's a Fender.
    It's still illegal and potentially misleading to someone who doesn't know.
    I agree. I am just pointing out that the seller is not trying to leverage the name in the selling price.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Somewhere down the line someone will probably try to misrepresent it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515

It's barely even a fake, Fender have never made a guitar with that (rather neat) Gotoh 12-string bridge, as far as I know.

I wonder if it was originally just a no-name Strat copy and a previous owner added the dodgy decal and neck plate?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Is that meant to be a recent import, doctored with "F" brand parts or a Bitsa constructed using, for example, Aria/Legend and Hohner Professional parts from the Nineties?
    Be seeing you.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    Asking price seems about right. Yes, seller shouldn't display headstock logo but nowhere does he claim in title or text that it's a Fender. Calm down, you're going to see a lot more of these in the future and not all of them will be so honestly priced or described.
    Neither does it outright say it isn't a Fender. Leaving room for doubt and thus lying by omission is still misleading a potential customer. I've seen personally two instances recently of people buying fake guitars accidentally and loosing fairly large sums of money in the process: a particularly sad one was grandparents buying a 'Gibson' for their 15 year old grandchild's birthday ... and the poor kid being given a sub standard Chibson that he can never sell. I had to be the bearer of bad tidings when it was brought to me with pickup squealing issues.
    I have absolutely zero tolerance for fakers and forgers ... their 'produce' should be cut up, and they should be banged up.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    He's shown the Fender neckplate and the Fender logo on the peghead, therefore he's selling it as a Fender no matter what he does or doesn't say.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    JezWynd said:
    The photos form part of the description - it is a counterfeit.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    FYI, they do doubleneck 6/12 Strats on aliexpress too.
    tFB Trader
    JMP220478 said:
    Well that's an exceptionally 'moody' website ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    OilCityPickups said:

I've seen personally two instances recently of people buying fake guitars accidentally and loosing fairly large sums of money in the process: a particularly sad one was grandparents buying a 'Gibson' for their 15 year old grandchild's birthday ... and the poor kid being given a sub standard Chibson that he can never sell.
    This is exactly why I fully support the law on this - not all buyers are, or should be, experts... but they still deserve protection from being ripped off. 'Caveat emptor' is all well and good, but if you're not able to make a properly informed choice yourself then that's why we have consumer protection laws, in a civilised society.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    OilCityPickups said:
    that's an exceptionally 'moody' website ... 
    The website includes a panel that draws attention to the use of Trev Wilkinson designed components. This is presented as if TW is lending his personal endorsement to Top Guitars when, in fact, anyone can assemble a screw-on neck electric guitar using Wilkinson hardware - including me!
    Be seeing you.
    edited August 2019 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    OilCityPickups said:

I've seen personally two instances recently of people buying fake guitars accidentally and loosing fairly large sums of money in the process: a particularly sad one was grandparents buying a 'Gibson' for their 15 year old grandchild's birthday ... and the poor kid being given a sub standard Chibson that he can never sell.
    This is exactly why I fully support the law on this - not all buyers are, or should be, experts... but they still deserve protection from being ripped off. 'Caveat emptor' is all well and good, but if you're not able to make a properly informed choice yourself then that's why we have consumer protection laws, in a civilised society.
    Fakes are morally and legally wrong. You might say 'I'm buying it for my own use and don't plan to sell it, so what does it matter? But all sorts of unforeseen circumstances might cause a counterfeit guitar to get into circulation: your house might get robbed, you might die and your relatives be none the wiser that your treasured 'Fender' or 'Gibson' is fake. You might even get critically short of money and flog it, telling the buyer it's a forgery (still an illegal sale by the letter of the law)... problem is he or she might not be as honest if and when they sell it.
    Forgery isn't a victimless crime ... eventually someone will pass off the most well intentioned 'bit of fun' fake guitar as the real thing ... and money will be lost. 
    Personally I won't even put vintage style PAF stickers on my pickups, as that's an open invitation for a bit of relic work by someone ... and there will be another set of 'fifties pickups' in circulation to go with the other hooky ones I see regularly in my line of work.