Using oil finishes over/ alongside modern polyurethane and polyester finishes

What's Hot
I have a maple Fender Roadworn 50's Strat neck which I intend to use on an upcoming project. I've previously had a couple of Fender Roadworn instruments and really enjoyed the feel of the necks, but found that over a period of time the back of the necks began to feel a little 'furry' from my sweaty hands. Not a major problem, as a quick rub down with some wire wool always solved the problem, but I did wonder if there was a better solution, particularly as this is an all maple neck?

I wondered if some kind of oil finish over the bare wood would be an appropriate solution? And if so, what oil finishes are compatible with modern polyurethane or polyester finishes (I believe that whilst Roadworn have nitro finished bodies, the necks are finished in polyurethane)? Since it is a Roadworn neck I don't think it will be possible to entirely keep an oil finish off the existing lacquered areas, especially since I would likely apply it to the fingerboard as well as the back of the neck.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    I'd rub some Tru-Oil in using wire wool. It won't harm the surrounding finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    No problems, I often extend the trunoil onto the original poly finish when I strip the back of the neck. It hardens onto the poly finish but will rub off if you apply lots of pressure so it hasn’t chemically bonded to the original finish.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @SteveRobinson and @mrkb thank you for your input, it's given me the confidence to go ahead and try Tru-Oil. I had assumed that this was what Music Man used on their necks, and they have lacquered headstocks/ transition from oiled to lacquered finish, so I assumed it was safe to use - but without having direct experience myself I was hesitant. Anyway, Tru-Oil now ordered and should be here in a couple of days! 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    Great, Store it upside down once you've opened it to avoid a thick skin forming on the top. I stick a small sheet of plastic from a plastic bag under the lid when I screw it back on as well to keep air out and make the lid easier to get off. Lasts much longer that way (as you really don't need much for a neck).
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Cheers for the storage tip @mrkb I will be sure do that - hopefully it will keep for another project!