SD CARDS?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3442
edited August 2019 in Off Topic
For my cameras. I have the Sandisk ultra plus from here,
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/photography-accessories/memory-cards-and-readers/sandisk-ultra-plus-class-10-sdhc-memory-card-32-gb-10146722-pdt.html

I need some back up cards, I noticed these , Sandisk Ultra in Argos.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3468735

I couldnt get write speeds on them so I went to the Sandisk web site,

https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/memory-cards/sd-cards/ultra-sd

https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/memory-cards/sd-cards/ultra-plus-sd

Look at the photos, both telling different speeds, and the specs show ''Read Speed: up to 40 MB/s.''

Am I missing something here? Is it read or write speed thats important
when recording onto an SD Card? I always thought it was the speed at which the card could be written on?

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I thought they were all roughly the same.
    I like the caveat 'UP to 40 MB/s'.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3442
    Sassafras said:
    I thought they were all roughly the same.
    I like the caveat 'UP to 40 MB/s'.
    That doesnt fill me with confidence either. Obviously it depends on what is reading or writing onto the card but some cards are slower than other, I have a few Sandisk Blue cards here that dont work on some of my cameras.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    For what it's worth, my experience is that you'll actually get "up to 50% of the rate we specify on the box".

Just got some Sandisk 32GB cards rated at 80MB/s read and write, and I get about 41MB/s in both directions.
    <space for hire>
  • I've always used SanDisk Extreme with no probs. 
    I had a chat with Sandisk, I am sat at home being ill so have time on my hands! Anyway, it went like this,
    I need an SD card for my cameras, I have a choice, Ultra or Ultra plus, can you tell me the difference please, the specs on your site seem contradictory.
    Noah G.: Just a minute please
    Noah G.: The main difference between the two models is the Warranty
    Noah G.: The Ultra SD card has 10 years while the Ultra Plus has lifetime warranty
    Noah G.: The speeds are the same and the two cards may have minor differences in the technology
    Noah G.: What is the model of your camera?
    Robert Gilmore: Can you confirm the read and write speeds on both?
    Robert Gilmore: I have a video camera , Canon, not sure of model , and a Canonb 800d DSLR.
    Noah G.: The read speeds of all products are published on our website. Kindly note that for write speeds, when it comes to the Ultra line they are not published
    Noah G.: If we are talking about the C10 80mbs Ultra SD card, it has a read speed of up to 80mbs, same as the Ultra Plus 80mbs
    Robert Gilmore: So both ultra and ultra plus C10 will have the same 80mbs write speed?
    Noah G.: If you go to the specifications of the cards you can see the read speeds are the same: https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/sd-cards/ultra-sd
    Noah G.: https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/sd-cards/ultra-plus-sd
    Noah G.: The only exception is the 8GB card that is slower
    Robert Gilmore: Perfect, and this will be enough for HD video and DSLR shooting RAW?
    Noah G.: Just a minute while I check the host device
    Robert Gilmore: Thankyou.
    Noah G.: The cards should work fine however do keep in mind that for HD video we recommend V30 cards which are faster.
    Noah G.: V30 cards are from the Extreme lines and are more expensive.
    Robert Gilmore: Thank you, you have been most helpful, I will look for a v30 card for the video camera.
    Noah G.: Is there anything else I can help with?
    Robert Gilmore: No, you have been most helpful, thank you.
    Noah G.: Thank you for contacting SanDisk Customer Care. Keep in mind you might receive a one question survey for our support. We would appreciate if you filled it in!
    Noah G.: Have a good afternoon!
    Robert Gilmore: You too. Bye. 

On their site it says read speeds of,

Ultra Read Speed: up to 40 MB/s

Ultra plus Read Speed: up to 48 MB/s6

So I am still none the wiser.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18717
    "So I am still none the wiser."  which is exactly where they like you to be.
    Given the variables that the manufacturers cannot influence or foresee, such as computer age, bus speeds, interface etc. you'll never get them to give an exact statement of speed. Same applies to broadband, mobile cover, 3/4/5G speeds.
    Annoying, but not entirely unreasonable.
    Try photography sites for real world experiences.
    Hope you feel better soon  :3
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4629
    Write Speed matters when continuously shooting.
    Read speeds only matter if you are connecting via a USB 3.x interface, anything USB2 will run at USB2 speeds

My camera will shoot at 6FPS, if I connect to anything its usually through wifi or BT, I guess I should just go with what works and buy the Ultra Plus cards, for the sake of a few quid extra its not worth taking a risk over.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Could be worse.

You could have ordered six off Ebay, and when they arrived they were just bits of plastic with metallic paint on the contacts, there were no circuits inside at all!

Flippin chancers!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Note to self, dont buy from EBay.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited August 2019
    Naive question maybe but haven't any of the numerous photography mags/ sites/ youtube channels had the gumption to take these cards along to a couple of labs and do some real world testing?  EDIT, ah, just seen @kittyfrisk say something similar

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    Grunfeld said:
    Naive question maybe but haven't any of the numerous photography mags/ sites/ youtube channels had the gumption to take these cards along to a couple of labs and do some real world testing?  EDIT, ah, just seen @kittyfrisk say something similar

The problem is that these things get updated so frequently, any comparison will be out of date 2 weeks from now.

I have cards that says 45mb/s on them and at the time they were the fastest that i have, now they are the slowest.  All the cards I buy now is 170mb/s, but then that is the read speed.

They are all V30 Class 10  cards, UHS-I.  I do have some UHS-II cards but only 1 pair and I can't take full advantage of it as my camera only have 1 UHS-II slot, the other is UHS-I.  You will always be bottleneck by the slowest.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12359
    robgilmo said:
    Note to self, dont buy from EBay.
    The best place I’ve found for this kind of stuff is 7dayshop. They’re U.K. based, the quality is good  and their delivery times are pretty quick. I buy all my batteries from them too. 
    https://www.7dayshop.com/