Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

In Praise Of Cheap (Good) Pedals

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    I bought a Sonicake Twiggy Blues as a backup to my Flyrig for £56 and it's great, especially the compressor, and I prefer the speaker sim to Tech 21's too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    Joyo Vintage Overdrive.
    Superb TS. No need to spend more.

Ibanez Tone Lock phaser. It’s brilliant. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    Joyo Sweet Baby is a tremendous low gain overdrive. Favours Fender amps. 

Mosky Golden Horsey is every bit as good as the Tumnus. I had both, kept the Mosky!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    https://www.tonestart.com/ultimate-mooer-guitar-pedal-clone-list/

have  mooer phaser ;flex boost ; cruncher ; ultra drive  and all do a fine job ..

The mosky xp booster is recommended too ..

The digitech screaming blues is the BD that Boss should have made first time round - better tone management imho 

anyone used the mooer grey or blue faze or other fuzz pedal clones  and compared to original fuzz faces ?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

Ibanez Tone Lock phaser. It’s brilliant. 
    Those Hardwire pedals were a sweet spot for me, they sounded great but had a robust case and switch.  I’m always a bit more reluctant to go too cheap not because of the sound, but cheap pcb mounted switches, plastic cases etc.

• Most of the Marshall pedals are pretty damn good. Especially their compressor and delay.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    english_bob said:

It was Josh from JHS. 

That might explain why the SF300 is out of stock... :)

The really funny one there is the TS808 - the Behringer sounds identical.

The worst is the HM-2 copy - it sounds nothing like the real one. I also thought that about the OC-2 copy I tried, which he unfortunately didn’t demo.

If I could add anything useful it’s that there is a minor problem with all the ones I’ve tried - the jacks don’t grip the plugs very positively, and they can easily get pulled out accidentally. Not a problem on a pedalboard really, but it is with a single pedal on stage.

But apart from that I’ve not found any problem with them being fragile or unreliable in any way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited August 2019
    Most of the Marshall pedals are pretty damn good. Especially their compressor and delay.
    The Guvnor Plus is one of the best MIAB pedals I've tried as well. Full EQ plus the deep knob mean it can work with any setup. If it was in a normal box and priced 2-3x higher I think it'd be a forum favourite.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    TTBZ said:

The Guvnor Plus is one of the best MIAB pedals I've tried as well. Full EQ plus the deep knob mean it can work with any setup. If it was in a normal box and priced 2-3x higher I think it'd be a forum favourite.
    I genuinely think that if it was rehoused in a typical boutique casing with six separate knobs and a $300 price tag, it would be the ‘must have’ MIAB pedal.

The old Guv’nor and the Drivemaster are excellent too - although a bit more of a ‘drive channel in a box’ for an already Marshall-voiced amp - but a bit too expensive for this thread now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've got a Guvnor kicking around somewhere. The MK1 version. It has no baseplate, so rehousing it is probably my only option!!

Bye!

• I didn’t like the Guvnor Plus - there was a ‘sizzle’ on the fade of notes/chords that sounded odd - couldn’t dial it out. Maybe it was an interaction thing, anyway....

i agree that the Bad Monkey is ace - I’ve had one on my board for approx 12 years and I can’t remember gigging without one in that time. Great eq and sounds good around the gain range. I have bass and treble on full and gain low - takes out the mid hump and sounds nothing like a tube screamer.
  • Joyo American sound - yep agree that this is terrific too. I also have the AC-Tone kicking around somewhere - Best Vox pedal I’ve tried. 

I must try a Golden Horsey - never really got the Klon thing although I’ve only tried a Soul Food and hated it. I did hear a KTR into a boutique tweed amp at CCGX though and it sounded amazing
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Mosky Golden Tumnus
    Kokko Booster
    Ammoon (Rowin) delay (analogue echo)

- all absolute must-haves

The Kokko Overdrive is also worth having as offers a different TS option if you fancy a change

Total spend for ALL of these - £47.60  !!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    edited August 2019
    I have the Ammoon American sound, lovely pedal, adds Fender sparkle and fat low end to any amp and overdrives nicely.
    I also have the Little Bear woolly mammoth clone, it sounds absolutely massive with guitar.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 949
    thomasw88 said:
    Boss od3..  admittedly it’s only cheap 2nd hand but It really is a superb drive pedal and stands up to many far more expensive drive pedals
    Yup. Love this thing - smashing boost and drive pedal. Great paired with a Blues Driver. 

A lot of the Digitech X Series can be found for £50 or less these days - really like their Turbo Flange and Multi Chorus, and the Digidelay is a seriously useful, underrated pedal. 

I found the Danelectro FAB series Chorus surprisingly good for the price too. And the Diner series PB&J delay is fantastic. 

The Behringer RV300 Reverb Machine was pretty good but mine stopped working after a few years. Could have been to do with the storage environment though. 

I did really like the TC Electronic Dark Matter distortion because it never got fizzy and maintained the guitar's tone, but I'm not sure it's got a sound that would appeal to everyone. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    Has anyone mentioned the SF300 yet, ah yes, appears they have :-)

Instant Hugh Hopper
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • The Danelectro Chilli Dog octave is really good too. Pleasing OC2 sounds.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 949
    The Danelectro Chilli Dog octave is really good too. Pleasing OC2 sounds.
    I used to love this little pedal - same colour as the purple on the buttons on this site - and the Pepperoni Phaser was really good too. Great little pedals. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    A few more Behringer clones of Boss pedals- the CC300 Space Chorus (DC-2), UV300 Ultra Vibrato (VB-2) and RV600 Reverb Machine (Verbzilla, but without the inherent distortion problem). All near as dammit, for peanuts.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....