Powered sub versus bass amp

pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
We're thinking of getting an Alto powered sub (1000rms). I assume this will be louder that a 100w valve head into a 1x15 cab?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Not necessarily. It will go down to lower frequencies but not cover the full range of the bass, and have a tighter/more heavily damped sound, so if you're comparing the volume of the bass (instrument) you might find it isn't any louder, or even as loud. They do very different jobs really - the sub is more for the 'thump' frequencies in the kick drum and the bass, but the main 'tone' frequencies from the bass still go through the top cabs.

Are you intending to ditch the bass amp, or just trying to boost the low-end in the mix?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• In theory do ampless on stage as some venue's don't have enough room for seven of us. Hoping to use IEM eventually to remove more realestate
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    On a similar vein, we've just ditched backline and everything out front is through two Yamaha DXR10s.  I thought about buying the matching sub or subs but they retail at around £1100 each and are like hens' teeth on the secondhand market.  With a budget of, say, £400, what would people recommend?  I'm thinking that ,for the size of venues we do, one would be enough.  Like the OP, mainly to beef up the bass and sometimes the kick drum.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    uncledick said:
    On a similar vein, we've just ditched backline and everything out front is through two Yamaha DXR10s.  I thought about buying the matching sub or subs but they retail at around £1100 each and are like hens' teeth on the secondhand market.  With a budget of, say, £400, what would people recommend?  I'm thinking that ,for the size of venues we do, one would be enough.  Like the OP, mainly to beef up the bass and sometimes the kick drum.
    Power and power handling make a huge difference. Modern amps with digital power supplies are very light and have built in processing to help create a flat(ish) response and crossover. Also modern speakers are able to take high power input and still be reasonable size and weight.
    BUT if cost is the priority you can buy old school components that will achieve the same thing albeit bulkier and heavier as a rule.
    So check A) how much space you have in your transport and storage. B) whats available locally. Then put together the best option. A modest power amp that can run Bridged mono mode will usually give you enough power, digital crossover processors like behringer are cheap and mainly reliable, you just need the cabinet to suit A & B.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    ESBlonde said:
    uncledick said:
    Power and power handling make a huge difference. Modern amps with digital power supplies are very light and have built in processing to help create a flat(ish) response and crossover. Also modern speakers are able to take high power input and still be reasonable size and weight.
    BUT if cost is the priority you can buy old school components that will achieve the same thing albeit bulkier and heavier as a rule.
    So check A) how much space you have in your transport and storage. B whats available locally. Then put together the best option. A modest power amp that can run Bridged mono mode will usually give you enough power, digital crossover processors like behringer are cheap and mainly reliable, you just need the cabinet to suit A & B.

If I'm honest the appeal of something modern and reasonably light with built in crossover definitely appeals.  If I have to buy the Yamaha matching sub(s) then that's what I'll do but there are several options on Gear4Music etc. for a fair bit less.  Is any of this gear on the secondhand market yet?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @uncledick we use a single Mk1 Yamaha DXS12 sub with a pair of DXR10’s and it produces more thump than I know what to do with for your average pub gig. Two subs would be overkill I feel. You can still get the Mk1’s for around £600 although I note the recently launched Mk2 is over a grand.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Turbosound Milam M18B is a cracking/thumping good deal atm. 1x18" 2200w Klark Teknik power and processing for around £600 new. all in a package of 48kg and a set of wheels!