Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Did you have a sporting hero as a kid?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    Roy of the Rovers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cricket wise it was G Boycott and D Lillie

Rugby wise it was David Duckham

Football wise it was Eddie Gray, Billy Bremner and Peter Lorimer

Before I was 14 I'd seen them all live as well - Maybe that is were your influences came from - Far less TV coverage then as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    edited August 2019
    Steve McDowell New Zealand Rugby prop and Judo international should have gone to the Olympics but because of the boycott didn't, so not only dual international but principled great role model.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    The only time I was interested in Football was in the 80s and I lived in Germany, So it was Paul Breitner and Karl Heinz Rummaneger of Bayern Munich fame.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    VimFuego said:
    Brian Jacks, I had no clue about judo, but he always totally caned everyone on Superstars, so that made him boss of bosses.

Although, Geoff Capes, I likewise knew feck all about whatever throwing event he did, but he rocked Britain's Strongest Man.
    Have a wis from me.   Before I really got into football as a kid, Brian was THE man.  Superstars was compulsive viewing in our house.   I’d love to see a modern version but I guess they’d never be able to insure modern athletes....
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Daley Thompson is the one that first comes to mind. Olympic gold, world records, TV adverts and a game on the BBC Micro. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Henry Cooper.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Jimmy Greaves
    Martin Chivers
    Derek Underwood 
  • Super Super Bob, Super Super Bob, Super Super Bob, Super Bobby Taylor

I'm sure @mudslide73 will agree
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    Daley Thompson 
    Ayrton Senna
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    RobDavies said:
    VimFuego said:
    Brian Jacks, I had no clue about judo, but he always totally caned everyone on Superstars, so that made him boss of bosses.

Although, Geoff Capes, I likewise knew feck all about whatever throwing event he did, but he rocked Britain's Strongest Man.
    Have a wis from me.   Before I really got into football as a kid, Brian was THE man.  Superstars was compulsive viewing in our house.   I’d love to see a modern version but I guess they’d never be able to insure modern athletes....
    It would also lose that slightly amateurish feel, as they'd all be awesome. 

They did do a similar programme about 15 years ago whose name escapes me, but even run of the mill Premiership defenders all had Commonwealth standard 800m times. 

Fitness is on a different scale to 40 years ago. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    We didn't have as many performance enhancing drugs 40 years ago.
    They had amphetamines and low doses of strychnine, and that was about it.
  • Not really. I didn't like sports when I was a kid, or even when I was a human. I can just about tolerate a jog now.

Bye!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Sassafras said:
    We didn't have as many performance enhancing drugs 40 years ago.
    They had amphetamines and low doses of strychnine, and that was about it.
    And they all had polio and lit up an Embassy in-between rounds.

I seem to remember formula 1 drivers and weightlifters making up the numbers, it was fairly amateur. I have a vague memory of Kevin Keegan falling off a bike on Superstars that took him out of football for months. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    p90fool said:
    Barry John and Meadowlark Lemon. 
    I loved the Harlem Globetrotters cartoon series but had no idea they were real people.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Kenny Dalglish
    Nigel Mansell
    Marvin Hagler
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    RobDavies said:
    VimFuego said:

They did a second run of Superstars, must be over 10 years ago now. I remember that 400m runners Jamie Baulch and Euan Thomas were fiercely competitive, and Colin Jackson was most definitely not! He was a right wet blanket. 

I loved the original show, I was a big David Hemery fan. Everyone remembers Kevin Keegan crashing on the gravel track on a bike and ripping his leg up!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Boycott for me.  My earliest memories of cricket were us getting whacked against the Windies in 1976.  When Boycott came back in 1977 and batted all day, he became a hero.  Just listening to him now on TMS.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    axisus said:
    RobDavies said:
    VimFuego said:

They did a second run of Superstars, must be over 10 years ago now. I remember that 400m runners Jamie Baulch and Euan Thomas were fiercely competitive, and Colin Jackson was most definitely not! He was a right wet blanket. 

I think that was the first time I realised how out of shape Ricky Hatton got between fights.  He was going on about his fitness and I thought fucking hell, look at the state of you.  Despite that, he actually did fairly well on Superstars, as far as I can remember.

It wasn't a patch on the original series, though.  Mostly people nearing the end of their careers and there wasn't the same degree of carefree injury risk.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    Add Brendan Foster as well to my list - before the days of Ovett + Seb
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2944
    Eddie Fiola
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom