Which UK luthiers are able to add a sound port to an acoustic guitar?

What's Hot
preferably in North west England

basically you drill a hole in the side of the guitar, and probably add a little finish to the new edge

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    You just want to see where your pick went, don't you?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    What are the benefits of doing this? Genuinely interested as I've seen a few guitars with this on here and have wondered exactly what it does?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    you get a bit of the sound that the audience normally gets, straight to your ears, makes the guitar sound to the player like it does to the audience - louder and more mids and treble
    very noticeable in anything larger than a small room
    I bought a classical with it from new, and just had an Avalon altered (by Avalon), sounds much better now, but posting guitars to NI seems expensive and riskier than finding a local luthier
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    you get a bit of the sound that the audience normally gets, straight to your ears, makes the guitar sound to the player like it does to the audience - louder and more mids and treble
    Very interesting, thank you. 
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    s'funny, they've been around for ages, as far as I know there are no downsides, but still most makers don't seem to do them. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

VimFuego said:
    s'funny, they've been around for ages, as far as I know there are no downsides, but still most makers don't seem to do them. 
    only downside I know is that if the hole is too big, the sound you hear can get too mid-heavy
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Now where did I put my trepanning kit?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
     Mainly low frequencies come from sound ports and it really doesn’t matter where they are positioned. Do a search for tuned speaker sound ports to check the technical 
    Side ports seem to be in vogue right now. I prefer mine at the front 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You just want to see where your pick went, don't you?
    That's handy, actually! 
    What about outdoor gigs and rain getting in guitar? 

I really want to try one. Though on my recent L2-230 purchase .... The guitar is already deafeningly loud!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    if it's raining, no way I'm playing my acoustic outdoors, sound port or no. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• GTCGTC Frets: 263
    Brook were able to incorporate one into my current Taw build half way through.
    edited August 2019
    Andy79 said:
     Mainly low frequencies come from sound ports and it really doesn’t matter where they are positioned. Do a search for tuned speaker sound ports to check the technical 
    Side ports seem to be in vogue right now. I prefer mine at the front 
    do you mean you prefer the normal one at the front?

tuned speaker sound ports are use long pipes to reinforce low bass frequencies between around 70Hz-100Hz
    Just cutting a hole in a soundbox does not produce a tuned port.
    You can actually buy tuned ports to add to the normal sound hole, I have one in a drawer, I've seen a makeshift one done on a contrabass guitar with plastic sheeting cut and rolled into a tube, to lower the bass handling of the contrabass

http://www.calculatoredge.com/new/ventlength.htm
    having a crack with this calculator, I assume a guitar body is about 18 litres but I am not sure what numbers to put in for the rest

In use, I can hear the same frequencies from the port as the front soundhole, but when I play a normal guitar, I tend to hear the treble and bass more than the mids, so using the port brings the mids back in to play for my ears
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    Fylde Guitars, if you want the best
    https://www.fyldeguitars.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Just buy an electro-acoustic and take the preamp box out :).

I'd take a bet that's how this concept was discovered in the first place...

For what it's worth, I would be extremely wary about doing that to a solid-sides guitar without reinforcing the inside around the hole, otherwise splitting and/or the wood trying to return to its un-bent shape around the edges is quite likely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Just buy an electro-acoustic and take the preamp box out :).

I'd take a bet that's how this concept was discovered in the first place...

For what it's worth, I would be extremely wary about doing that to a solid-sides guitar without reinforcing the inside around the hole, otherwise splitting and/or the wood trying to return to its un-bent shape around the edges is quite likely.

I did worry about the structure

Avalon were going to strengthen the one in mine, but decided not to. It's an oval shape, about 45mm x 25mm 
    As you say, it's similar to a preamp hole really

My Yulong Guo classical was made with a much large port, and also has no extra support
    www said:
    Fylde Guitars, if you want the best
    https://www.fyldeguitars.com
    Great idea, but a 2 hour drive each way twice!

I am thinking more somewhere round Chester, Liverpool, Manchester, Crewe, Warrington, Macclesfield
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Soundports are a fascinating part of modern luthiery and when they work it can be very beautiful. In this episode of Luthier Stories Matthew and Matthias from Casimi Guitars (Cape Town, South Africa) talk about the process of retro-fitting a soundport to an existing guitar. I hope you enjoy it, the soundport chat starts at around 23:31

I would personally warn against having a soundport cut into a guitar by a luthier who doesn't already incorporate them into their work 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5459
    Breedlove put sound ports in some of their acoustics. The one I tried in PMT was very engaging.