Which UK luthiers are able to add a sound port to an acoustic guitar?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Holy crap, if I did that I'd start booing myself!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    VimFuego said:
    s'funny, they've been around for ages, as far as I know there are no downsides, but still most makers don't seem to do them. 
    the downside is you have to punch a big gaping hole in the guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    www said:
    Fylde Guitars, if you want the best
    https://www.fyldeguitars.com
    Great idea, but a 2 hour drive each way twice!

I am thinking more somewhere round Chester, Liverpool, Manchester, Crewe, Warrington, Macclesfield
    If only you'd been more specific first time  ;)

Try Mike Gough at MG Guitars in Frodsham
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    VimFuego said:
    s'funny, they've been around for ages, as far as I know there are no downsides, but still most makers don't seem to do them. 
    I think one of the reasons could be they are normally installed  around the position where some maker and retrofitted electronics systems are situated. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    www said:
    www said:

I am thinking more somewhere round Chester, Liverpool, Manchester, Crewe, Warrington, Macclesfield

does he do acoustics?
  • sound port is a great thing , the classical guitar world is doing this for many years already, now some luthiers are offering with a soyndport but with a chance to close it, because sometimes the soyndport is not so helpful. 
    You dont see many luthiers making this because the client don't ask for it, wen I build a commission I offer always that but wen I just build to sell after I never do that.
    There are other features for modern guitars like double soundboard that is a thing that I love to do :)
    sound port is a great thing , the classical guitar world is doing this for many years already, now some luthiers are offering with a soyndport but with a chance to close it, because sometimes the soyndport is not so helpful. 
    You dont see many luthiers making this because the client don't ask for it, wen I build a commission I offer always that but wen I just build to sell after I never do that.
    There are other features for modern guitars like double soundboard that is a thing that I love to do :)
    is your double soundboard the nomex sandwich?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    I'd love a guitar with a soundport but I think I'd want it done by someone who had experience of the feature, for both structural and sonic reasons 
    Red ones are better. 
  • wwwwww Frets: 72
    www said:
    www said:

does he do acoustics?
    Not sure tbh but if he doesn't he'll know who to go to.

Just had another thought... KGB in Birkenhead. They will definitely be able to sort you out
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    ICBM said:
    Just buy an electro-acoustic and take the preamp box out :).

That's exactly what I did on Sunday, should've binned the thing years ago, and would've if I'd known it had a neat surround...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    edited August 2019
    @p90fool - I think you can remove that metal clip too... I seem to remember they sometimes fall out even when you don't want them to.

Best upgrade ever to any guitar with a Shadow preamp .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    But best of all, if you play a sustained chord you can make a mild acoustic wah noise with your hand over the hole!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    p90fool said:
    But best of all, if you play a sustained chord you can make a mild acoustic wah noise with your hand over the hole!
    I used to do that on an f-hole semi-acoustic with my right forearm, until I realised it made me look like I was doing half a chicken impression :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sound port is a great thing , the classical guitar world is doing this for many years already, now some luthiers are offering with a soyndport but with a chance to close it, because sometimes the soyndport is not so helpful. 
    is your double soundboard the nomex sandwich?
    Yes i build with nomex but with balsa to 
  • Buy a Maestro - you get to play about 10 or so, and pick the one which sounds the best. Come with a forearm bevel too...

I'll take mine (below) to my grave....
    [Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/2l8Vm4E.jpg)
    jaymenon said:
    Buy a Maestro - you get to play about 10 or so, and pick the one which sounds the best. Come with a forearm bevel too...

I'll take mine (below) to my grave....
    [Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/2l8Vm4E.jpg)
    I want to pick a guitar, then add a soundport, to have the largest choice of top luthiers