Reverb Recommendations

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17601
in FX tFB Trader
Since switching over to the Origin from mostly Fender type amps I've missed having a bit of reverb.

I've had a few reverbs in the past with the benchmark being the Flint, but I'm ideally not looking for something bit/expensive/hard to power.

I also liked the Digitech Polara which sounds great, but is difficult to read.

I generally like a subtle plate, or an epic hall / ambient thing for when I'm being silly. I don't like digital spring as I've never found one that didn't sound fake.

I'm currently thinking about the Boss RV-6 or a Laney Secret Path

Other options would be a HoF2 Marine Layer 

So what do you guys recommend?

Also feel free to PM me with stuff you are selling especially if you fancy a trade for a DLS MkIII
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Boss RV-5 is better than the RV-6 I think.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    The Boss RV-6 is excellent. The plate and the +delay settings were my favourite but all the others were usable.

I'd avoid the Catalinbread Talisman plate reverb, it seemed to suck all tone out of my setup. Not a fan. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17601
    tFB Trader
    The Boss RV-5 is better than the RV-6 I think.
    Interesting

In what ways?
  • The Boss RV-5 is better than the RV-6 I think.
    Interesting

In what ways?
    I just got the sense that the RV-6 seems like it's been tweaked to be a bit more subtle at moderate settings. So you need to go crazy with the knobs to get something akin to a big wash or whatever, which wasn't the case with the RV-5. I had them side by side and I preferred the RV-5 on almost every setting.

Bye!

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Bit expensive but I like that MXR M300.
  • Sassafras said:
    Bit expensive but I like that MXR M300.
    Yep. One of my favourites too.

Bye!

• eogeog Frets: 40
    Sounds like you might be interested in the Walrus Fathom, although it is going to be close to £200 new (still cheaper than the Flint I suppose). It has hall and plate (with pre-delay controls) plus some funkier options, as well as modulation and a momentary switch.

I've been thinking about getting it myself, as it seems to tick both the "Ok I'm being serious now" and the silly boxes quite nicely.
    tFB Trader
    eog said:
    Sounds like you might be interested in the Walrus Fathom, although it is going to be close to £200 new (still cheaper than the Flint I suppose). It has hall and plate (with pre-delay controls) plus some funkier options, as well as modulation and a momentary switch.

I've been thinking about getting it myself, as it seems to tick both the "Ok I'm being serious now" and the silly boxes quite nicely.

That looks cool.

A couple of shops are blowing out the secret path so that's tempting
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31575
    I hardly use any reverb live anyway but it can be too dry at home. so I chuck a Marshall Reflector in the back of my Marshall-style combo, on a rechargeable PP3.

The spring 2 setting is actually really good, and you can pick them up for £25 second hand.

If you really want to swamp it in reverb you may want something more expensive, but even then it's surprising how well they hold their own. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited January 2022
    I really like the RV-6.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    Ive never understand the love for Boss reverbs; never did it for me personally...

The Catalinbread Talisman for me is one of THE best verbs made; takes ODs superbly.

My verb search has gone on for years, and my faves are;

- Talisman
    - Big Sky
    - Polara
    - Neunaber

Now, I use the incredible Chase Bliss Dark World. The only real verb that has worked 'live' for me, and somehow sits above the mix. Also, very creative.
  • KeyrohKeyroh Frets: 59
    The Boss RV-5 is better than the RV-6 I think.
    Second this.
    Had two RV-6s via upgrading then downsizing, tried the RV-5 this time and blown away by the modulation setting. I think the other basic settings are similar in the sense that they get the job done.

• randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited August 2019
    EBS Dynaverb Bass pedal sounded good to my ears, however the switch went so not 100% sure on build quality. Can be found fairly cheap used. 

I also second the Polara.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    edited August 2019
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    I've gone through a ton of reverbs and from what you've described, I think you would like the Marine Layer. 

The hall setting is fantastic and the modulated setting, for my money, outclasses the RV-5. Lush, with long reverb times/trails, and doesn't sound synthetic. 

The shimmer setting is wonderfully subtle too, and there's no shrill, digital nature to any of it. It's a very musical pedal and I think probably the best of the new Fender ones that I've tried. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited August 2019

....I'm currently thinking about the Boss RV-6...

I'm gigging with this. 
    I don't mean this in a bad way but I think of it as a a good covers band reverb.  What I mean is that I want something that is:
    Easy and quick to adjust 
    Forgiving, and doesn't have be dialled in too precisely
    Covers the uber-basics:  which for me is a plate, a spring, and a shimmer
    The RV-6 does all that.  The only quibble is that the metallic back plate reflects stage light which makes it harder to read.  Fortunately the knobs themselves are clear so once you know what o'clock the right-most mode knob indicates then all is okay.   
    This RV-6 replaced an EXH Oceans 11 which did more, probably did it better (its spring setting is great), but the fiddly mode selector switch and and fussy balance positions (which were not consistent between modes!) made it too difficult for live work.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    eog said:

That looks cool.

How much is blowing out? Although I'm not sure I have any argument for wanting one other than as a sort of objet d'art. I suspect going between settings would be a bit fiddly live but it certainly sounds convincing on the demos.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Digitech Digiverb. Got mine for £25 off the bay and it's never let me down has all the sounds I need and them some [/Broken record] 
    tFB Trader
    eog said:

That looks cool.

How much is blowing out? Although I'm not sure I have any argument for wanting one other than as a sort of objet d'art. I suspect going between settings would be a bit fiddly live but it certainly sounds convincing on the demos.

109 at a couple of places.

I think Laney were always going to struggle charging 50% more than ehx, boss, TC, Digitech for essentialy the same thing.
    tFB Trader
    Ended up going for the MXR in the end.

Recommended, it's very good indeed.