Out of the ashes of Wizard Pickups, Please welcome Hot Rod Pickups.

What's Hot

Comments

• Doodle and the Armadillo have a "special" relationship, The Tele is our test bed guitar and a lovely beast, completely hand build and finished at the workshop, and of course sporting a trio of Hot Rod beauties :) Ill put up a decent pic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great we can start a special section ... pickup winders pets! image
    What a lovely pussy :)

• Hang on is the cat smoking a fag?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I thought the cat was part lizard and that was its tongue. Could be sparking up a tab for Ash whilst busy working though.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10371
    tFB Trader
    Got em well trained
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Lovely set of lightly aged Revelations on there way to top UK blues man Ramon Goose, video to follow. Beveled mags for more focused tone.

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Dear All Pickup Makers:

Why do you put the rubber tubing on the screws? We only have to take it off again and it's a real pain to do so.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Keeps the covers in place in transit, Don't want little bits of metal rattling about and damaging delicate coils :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Couldn't you put an elastic band around them to hold the covers in place and pack the tubing and screws separately in a small zip-lock bag?

And/or just use a better design of box?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I suppose at that point you're weighing messing about with bands and separately packed screws with the fairly elegant solution of using the components to hold themselves together, at the unpacking end as well as the packing end.
    Though until you asked that was exactly what I thought.:)
  • Do bevelled magnets actually make any difference, or is it just a looks thing?

It does look quite cool.
  • Also the flatwork material is not threaded, I would rather we started the thread off to finish the job so to speak, rather than someone get them wired in and then risk damaging things when wires are soldered and get tight, Although all comments taken on board and will be submitted to the comity.
  • Do bevelled magnets actually make any difference, or is it just a looks thing?

It does look quite cool.
    I agree it does look cool, but in our opinion does actually focus the the tone by putting out a more directional magnetic field, It is an incredibly labour intensive process though adding at least double the time to a build. Heres a quick demo of a set, please forgive my dodgy Hendrix impression :)

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10371
    tFB Trader
    Beveled magnets originally came about because of Leo Fender having difficulty in getting the sharp-edged magnets through his flatwork ... it's easy to get slack magnets that way. Also the magnets used then were very brittle grinding the edges hid the chips that ruined the look of the pickups. it's much more comfortable for the player as the edges of the mag don't slice his finger tips if he plays without a pick ... and it may have a slight focusing effect by changing the shape of the top end of the flux.
    I agree beveling is a pain in the bum ... and does put a hell of a lot on a build time ... ruin the odd magnet doing it too :-)
    Looks good mind.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Good luck guys!
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Rubber pickup tubing>springs.

:)
  • We are very proud to announce that the amazingly talented Jess Lewis (Eternal Guitars Endorsee) will be appearing at our launch on monday evening at The Vestry in Chichester, She will be playing from 8:30pm so get there early. Full range of Eternal guitars loaded with Hot Rod Pickups available for you jam with the house band on too.

• Lots of photos and lovely comments on our Facebook page about the launch, as well as some beautiful Eternal guitar, please check out :)

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Lovely stuff, I have a set of Wizards in a bass (Thumper and custom wound 84 bridge) and they're bloody marvellous.  Was sad to hear Andy was retiring as he was always my go-to for this kind of thing so great to hear his work is being carried on!