trying a few resonators

HI all,

I have just headed out to a local shop in Birmingham and tried a few resonator guitars. I have concluded that I do want to acquire one, namely a 14-fret metal-bodied one with a single cone.
I like the loud, aggressive sort of sound, and that nice echo/reverb thing it does. I tried an Ashbury, and a Regal RC2. I know that the Michael Messer blues is very well regarded, but I can't play those before ordering one. I am willing to go up to roughly £1,000. Any others I should look at?

Thanks  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4195
    This side of £1000 there’s nothing better than one of the recent Messers. I say recent because the necks are much more nicely finished than they used to be. 

Don’t worry about not getting to play before ordering, they’re very consistent and Michael takes a personal interest in customer service.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    MM sure knows how to build them in the spirit of Nationals. It’s my opinion you will have to spend way more than 1K to improve on a MM. Dave King sets them up before you see them so you get the best out of them 
    Gretsch Honey dipper, Busker (no longer made) and Republic all worth a try.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    +1 for Messer, I have a 12th fret Lightning and its epic!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• With a £1k budget you might pick up a used pre Gibson Dobro, something like a 33H if you’re lucky, happy hunting.