Tried a Katana today...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I have to say, the one thing that it did have going for it is that it never sounded thin. Even on the clean channel with the gain down and on single coils the tone was still thick and meaty. This is probably an improvement over some of the older solid state amps, and is probably why some prefer it as a pedal platform.

However, once you wind the gain up on the dirty amp modes, that thickness soon turns into mushiness and a slappy, woolly attack.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    For some reason the Katanas really polarise opinion.

I think they're the best thing since sliced bread, both the 50 as a portable do-it-all unit with great effects built in, and the head for a powerful no-faff unit which I've matched with a nice vintage Celestion.

Blind testers seem to think so too...

andyp said:
    That was brilliant. Sounded huge, what amp are you playing through?

Trinity College London examiner said:
    Fantastic sound quality

My only conclusion is mine was for some reason made from a distillation of unicorn hooves and blessed by a Shinto priest with the tone of the gods.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2176
    soma1975 said:
    Yep not a fan here either. Every time I get told how far amp modelling has come in the last couple of years I try something and am constantly underwhelmed. 
    I wouldn’t judge modelling on a Katana. It’s literally the lower end of the category. Plug a Kemper into a guitar cab and see. 
    The Katana isn't a modelling amp, it's analog solid state. 

They're not good amps against all amps, but they do offer a lot for £190 and are raising the bar at that end of the market, which is a good thing. 

If you're on a budget, they are a great option to have. If budget isn't a concern, you have plenty more options. 
    Barnezy said:
    soma1975 said:
    Yep not a fan here either. Every time I get told how far amp modelling has come in the last couple of years I try something and am constantly underwhelmed. 
    I wouldn’t judge modelling on a Katana. It’s literally the lower end of the category. Plug a Kemper into a guitar cab and see. 
    Whether or not it's a modelling amp is arguable, as it does not explicitly model any existing amps.

However, it is definitely not an analog amp, it is digital, driven by programmable digital sound processors.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Blind test between Boss head and Friedman 50:

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Maynehead said:
    I have to say, the one thing that it did have going for it is that it never sounded thin. Even on the clean channel with the gain down and on single coils the tone was still thick and meaty. This is probably an improvement over some of the older solid state amps, and is probably why some prefer it as a pedal platform.

However, once you wind the gain up on the dirty amp modes, that thickness soon turns into mushiness and a slappy, woolly attack.

I think they can create a bad impression because there are a couple of things you need to do with them.

One is pull down some of the boosted mids in the global EQ which you have to do with a laptop.

The other is totally avoid the crunch channel which is balls and the brown which is fine for home shredding, but no good for anything proper.

The best drive sounds are either the clean channel with a bit of gain and a simulated (or better real) pedal, or the lead channel with the gain pulled back a bit.

In reference to the modelling question sneaky amps reveals the brain is a modified GT-100 so the preamp is COSM I think.
  • I like the crunch channel a lot. Keep the gain lowish and use one of the internet pedals (I like the Guvnor) to boost it.

Maynehead said:
    Barnezy said:
    soma1975 said:
    Whether or not it's a modelling amp is arguable, as it does not explicitly model any existing amps.

However, it is definitely not an analog amp, it is digital, driven by programmable digital sound processors.
    It not really arguable. The amp voices on the Katana are all analog solid state versions of analog tube circuits. 

The effects are digital, but so are some of your pedals and you don't need to use them.

It grinds my gears when people mix solid state with modeling. Modeling is a computerised version of an amp where the signal is digitised and altered. Solid state is a silicon circuit, where the signal remains analog, the same as a tube amp. 

Here's a video that explains it in more detail

Barnezy said:
    Maynehead said:
    Barnezy said:
    soma1975 said:

It not really arguable. The amp voices on the Katana are all analog solid state versions of analog tube circuits. 

The effects are digital, but so are some of your pedals and you don't need to use them.

It grinds my gears when people mix solid state with modeling. Modeling is a computerised version of an amp where the signal is digitised and altered. Solid state is a silicon circuit, where the signal remains analog, the same as a tube amp. 

Here's a video that explains it in more detail

I take this back. The Katana mini is all analog solid state, but the Katana 50 uses a DSP for its amp models.

Why were they so tight on the number of amp models, if they are just digital. Strange. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    edited August 2019

Wow.

Both of them sound absolutely dire.

What was most interesting is that neither of them cleaned up properly with the guitar volume, which is something I did notice with the only Friedman I've played - it just got quieter without really cleaning up, which is odd.

And the supposedly "clean" sound on both of them wasn't clean... it was appalling, especially on the Friedman (at 11'22") - that was when I thought it was clear which was which, because it was more dynamic even though the clipping was really nasty.

(Sorry, typo'd that at first!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Im a Katana user, i also have laney valve amps and peavey valveking, did have a marshall jvm but thats long gone. My feeling is yes the valve amps sound nicer and smoother and great for playing at home and the katana has a sort of harshness. But for playing live with a hard hitting drummer, the Katana sounds better, it cuts through the mix without being too loud. Opposite of what others say, i would keep my valve amps for playing at home and enjoy their subtleties but for live pub gigs, unmicced up amp give me the katana, plus its half the weight. 
    ICBM said:

Wow.

Both of them sound absolutely dire.

What was most interesting is that neither of them cleaned up properly with the guitar volume, which is something I did notice with the only Friedman I've played - it just got quieter without really cleaning up, which is odd.

And the supposedly "clean" sound on both of them wasn't clean... it was appalling, especially on the Friedman (at 11'22") - that was when I thought it was clear which was which, because it was more dynamic even though the clipping was really nasty.

(Sorry, typo'd that at first!)
    I worked it out relatively quickly primarily due to the sag that was present in B but not A in the chuggy riffs, but also the fact that A was quite in-your-face without much definition between the frequency bands, and B was slightly more refined, with some frequencies reigned in and some more pronounced to produce a bit of character in the tone.

The rollback test I reckon was a bit of a deliberate red herring, by picking a valve amp that they knew didn't clean up very well. Might be why they concentrated on that aspect for most of the video.
  • I've had a Katana and moved it on though regret it.  There wasn't much wrong with it at all.  Only reason for not keeping was having a valve amp that just sounded better at any volume but i would prefer to have something light and convenient to have to hand for a lot of situations.

I think they're excellent for the money.  Though the 100w is significantly better sounding than the 50w.  Have used a head and cab version in a rehearsal room too and whilst it doesn't dominate in a room filling way like a valve amp would it was mighty enough to be heard well in the mix with a loud full band.

Takes pedals amazingly well on the clean channel.  Even some of the onboard fx are very useable on a set and forget, i.e. the reverb, light chorus.    

I think the heavy channels were a bit synthetic sounding but i wouldn't use them personally how i play.  

I don't think the fx loop for 4 cable method pedal set ups was too good on the one i had.  Perhaps the 2x12 would have a bit more headroom.  

I think the low end range in these is particular great.  Against similar amp specs and prices the low end is where i think others suffer i.e. Fender Mustang in particular.  There just comes a point where they just start rattling and buzzing.  The Katana feels built in a way that it can handle it.  

If i had enough spare cash to try it i think 2 x Katana's in stereo would be great.  Particularly as i'm swaying away from valves again.

Im a Katana user, i also have laney valve amps and peavey valveking, did have a marshall jvm but thats long gone. My feeling is yes the valve amps sound nicer and smoother and great for playing at home and the katana has a sort of harshness. But for playing live with a hard hitting drummer, the Katana sounds better, it cuts through the mix without being too loud. Opposite of what others say, i would keep my valve amps for playing at home and enjoy their subtleties but for live pub gigs, unmicced up amp give me the katana, plus its half the weight. 
    I guess that's why they called it the Katana. Is light and cuts through.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I thought the giveaway was that the Friedman compressed more when wound up.