Pedalboard layout quandary tips

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9691
edited August 2019 in FX
I've never really put together a pedalboard other than two or three in a row in a case, but thought I'd like to arrange stuff so it only needs plugging in and away we go.

However, the board thing I've got is just slightly not wide enough, whilst being huge in every other way:

Input would be to the blue mini pedal at the top (boost), then to the OC3, then to Whammy, then to the loop switcher. The MXR and Muff would be in a loop each and i hope to add one more overdrive in a third loop. So I can switch between the three drives plus a clean preset without having to switch one off and another on at the same time. 

But, reaching the Whammy is not ideal but possible, switching the OC3 or boost on or off requires a ballet style pointy toe technique that I feel is susceptible to collateral damage.

So, wondered if anybody had any problem solving tips for this one. So far I've come up with:

- Bigger board (but massive gaps everywhere other than the front row, seems excessive)
- smaller loop switcher (but such things don't seem to exist as dirt cheap as the Joyo)
- swap the Whammy for a Ricochet and put it in the gap to the left of the switcher (but I won't get the fun up and down noises and OC3 would still be hard to do)
- put the three non loop pedals on a separate board (but then I'll have two bits which is excessive and would need to be an odd shape due to the Whammy)

I will obviously need to compromise something but thought the collective experience of the fretboard may have some good tips

Cheers
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Does the Whammy share the same power supply as the others? Treadle style pedals on boards can be awkward and especially if they aren't at the front so you could put it on the floor, although that might be problematic in terms of order. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9691
    edited August 2019
    It will probably share a supply with the switcher but the other pedals will be on a separate one.

Should say it's for my spare room predominantly so having something on the floor defeats the object a bit as I'd like to be able to keep it tidy being stuck on one thing if possible
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    pedalplayground.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2019
    pedalplayground.com

Ah  it doesn't have my loop switcher on it but essentially aren't I doing what that website does with the actual board?

I think either the Whammy or the Switcher are going to need to be ditched
  • Ahh a quick Google search of pedal boards and their various measurements suggests there are none that can fit both looper and whammy side by side. Damn.

Only way I could keep them both is by not being able to use the treadle but where's the fun in that
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Do you really need 4 loops? Could you swap the Loop Switcher for a smaller one? Maybe something bespoke from Wee Lush or Bright Onion. Alternatively would 2 Boss LS-2's do the job?
    edited November 2019
    Need is a strong word but want, yeah. Clean, slight drive (MXR), bigger drive (probably will be a RAH) and Fuzz (muff). I'm not sure the ls2 would do then separately without multiple clicks as I believe it only does a/b/bypass so if I wanted to go from drive on one to fuzz on the other is the same stomp count as just switching them off then on.

I'll look into bright onion but I suspect I'd be spending money I don't have as the Joyo would only fetch peanuts
  • Oh with the LS2 were you meaning the 2nd one be on output B of the first so I'd be able to the switch the second one a/b in advance of switching the first?
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4491
    OK, I think...

That's an 8-loop switcher, and you're talking about six pedals in total.  So give each it's own loop, and program the switcher with whatever combinations you want.  The pedals stay on all the time and you never stomp on them themselves.

Not sure what board they all fit on, though.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• It's got eight loops but four presets in a bank which is what I'd like. I'd therefore only use three loops (drive, more drive, fuzz) and a bypass one.

The Whammy, Octaver and Boost would not be good in loops as I would need them with any of the four presets, and the problem really is reaching the Whammy treadle
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What I did (and would recommend to anyone with a pedaltrain) was stuck a MDF sheet to the top of the Pedaltrain, and then mounted all my pedals to the MDF sheet, marked 2 spots where pedals werent and drilled holes for the power

This removes the gaps in the Pedaltrain, allowing you to rearrange your pedals much more easily. I'll post a picture if it helps to show what I mean.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • It's the width of it that is the problem not the rails- needs another 6cm for the whammy to be on the front row
  • Not to worry, I think it's a futile whim ultimately, looking at the costs of other boards and loop switchers. As you were, as you were, all change please
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    It's the width of it that is the problem not the rails- needs another 6cm for the whammy to be on the front row
    Why not just let the looper hang over the right side of the pedaltrain? Looks wide enough to still be stable if Velcro is running the length of it. 
    edited August 2019
    timbuk02 said:
    It's the width of it that is the problem not the rails- needs another 6cm for the whammy to be on the front row
    Why not just let the looper hang over the right side of the pedaltrain? Looks wide enough to still be stable if Velcro is running the length of it. 
    Could try it but left edge would need to be the overhanger as stepping on switch D would (I think) cause a bit of a see saw effect.

I'm fairly sure it'll just get knocked though in the melee of the spare room and I'm not sure how much I trust the reliability of the Joyo or the knock off pedal board thing (it's not a real pedal train)
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Cable ties to the rescue. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    can you use a smaller expression pedal with the whammy and then stick it on the back row?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited August 2019
    can you use a smaller expression pedal with the whammy and then stick it on the back row?
    I'm not sure you can without a midi controller as well as I don't think expression pedals tend to work only on midi cables (could be wrong)
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4491
    OK, so you want to switch between three drives, or none at all, and bring the booster, octave and whammy in and out like regular pedals?  Would this work?  (Uses the QMX6 in the Classifieds - no affiliation - and a Metro 24; PedalPlayground doesn't have quite the right pedals, but you get the idea):

Set loops 1-4 up in flip-flop mode.  Patch cable in loop 1, drives in 2, 3 and 4.  Boost and octave in 5 and 6 set to normal mode.  Output to Whammy using its own switch.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

edited August 2019
    OK, so you want to switch between three drives, or none at all, and bring the booster, octave and whammy in and out like regular pedals?  Would this work?  (Uses the QMX6 in the Classifieds - no affiliation - and a Metro 24; PedalPlayground doesn't have quite the right pedals, but you get the idea):

Set loops 1-4 up in flip-flop mode.  Patch cable in loop 1, drives in 2, 3 and 4.  Boost and octave in 5 and 6 set to normal mode.  Output to Whammy using its own switch.
    That would do it but ~ £200 for the Quartermaster and the board...I'm not worth that sadly. Thanks for the effort though.  EDIT: also the power input to the Whammy is on the left hand side so would stick out and likely break meaning several power supplies will need to be bought

I'll either have to do something else or I think one of the Wee Lush ones might do the trick, but need to sell stuff first which is like pulling teeth.

Or I should just grow up and give up!